Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Spinnaker installation, should I do it myself?  Bottom

• Hi guys, I have a used spin but I don't have any of the rest of the equipement. I could go to a shop wich is a 2hour drive and have everything installed for 1800$ (everything included). According to the prices they gave me, 275$ goes for the installation, the rest are pieces. For 275$ I figured I could just save the time of doing it myself and have it perfectly installed. But then again it feels like they are overcharging for the pieces. What do you think? icon_confused

--
    Proud owner of a Mystère 6.0
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • It depends on the components they will be giving you. All of the blocks hardware, snuffer and sheets would be pretty expensive to buy new for nice stuff.

To install at home isn't a whole lot of work, but you need a way to make pole wires and possibly install a grommet in your tramp
  • If you have the sail already I think you can do it yourself for much less $$. The snuffer systems can be difficult to figure out if you don't know how they work but assuming you know how you want it set up I think you can do it for:

12' AL Pole - $30
    End caps - $25
    Beam Pin - $15
    New SNU - $450
    Halyard - $90
    Harware - $150 (3 eye straps, 1 Harken 166, 1 Harken 291, 1 Harken T2, 1 Mast Tang, 12' amsteel Blue), SS rivets, Bolts/nuts/washers)
    Outhaul - $15
    Cam Cleat - $20
    4 Shackles - $40
    Total - $835

If you don't have patches sewn in your spin you'll have to include that.

--
    Daniel Evans
    N I20 Miami FL
    N I20, N 6.0NA, H 20, H 16 Chesapeake bay
    I have a hard time passing up a good deal on a big cat.
    --
  • EvansDB78If you have the sail already I think you can do it yourself for much less $$. The snuffer systems can be difficult to figure out if you don't know how they work but assuming you know how you want it set up I think you can do it for:

12' AL Pole - $30
    End caps - $25
    Beam Pin - $15
    New SNU - $450
    Halyard - $90
    Harware - $150 (3 eye straps, 1 Harken 166, 1 Harken 291, 1 Harken T2, 1 Mast Tang, 12' amsteel Blue), SS rivets, Bolts/nuts/washers)
    Outhaul - $15
    Cam Cleat - $20
    4 Shackles - $40
    Total - $835

If you don't have patches sewn in your spin you'll have to include that.

Thanks! Exactly what I needed to see icon_smile

i'll go check what this hardware could cost me at the store, I guess it will be around the same price you listed!

--
    Proud owner of a Mystère 6.0
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • Shouldn't there also be 4 x Harken 2625 (single ratchmatic, ~$85 apiece) on that list?

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Forgot about those, yeah but I have 2 2625's and 2 2600's. Add a couple eye straps for the 2600's. Spin sheet too.

--
    Daniel Evans
    N I20 Miami FL
    --
  • That spin pole is gonna run a lot more than $30 a SNU is now closer to $600.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Just replaced my broken spin pole for $26.00 purchased from a metal wholesale warehouse in west Miami. Per the barefoot studios website SNU going for $475-$500 depending on size. I went with this when I replaced my pole. Excellent system btw. And super easy to install.

--
    Daniel Evans
    N I20 Miami FL
    --
  • Could you please give me the name of the metal warehouse in Miaqmi. Thanking you in advance for your help.
    EvansDB78Just replaced my broken spin pole for $26.00 purchased from a metal wholesale warehouse in west Miami. Per the barefoot studios website SNU going for $475-$500 depending on size. I went with this when I replaced my pole. Excellent system btw. And super easy to install.
  • No problem, it's called Simmons Stainless. (305) 592-3838 located at 4650 Northwest 72nd Avenue
    Miami‎ FL‎ 33166. They're old school, family owned but good people. They've been there for decades but not too many people know about them. No website, but huge yard of wholesale metals. Bring a check or cash 'cause they don't take credit. I ended up paying $26.* for my replacement. Comes to about $2.16/foot with tax. If you go the stock for our poles is right behind the saw, across from the office (which is no more than an oil soaked plywood table). Like I said old school, but good people.

--
    Daniel Evans
    N I20 Miami FL
    --
  • Thanks for the info, I had purchased a lenght of alum from another source and when I tried to put the prebend in the pole it did not really bend but the wall collasped and did not return to its original shape. Have you installed your pole yet? I am curious if you put any prebend and which boat are you using it on.
    EvansDB78No problem, it's called Simmons Stainless. (305) 592-3838 located at 4650 Northwest 72nd Avenue
    Miami‎ FL‎ 33166. They're old school, family owned but good people. They've been there for decades but not too many people know about them. No website, but huge yard of wholesale metals. Bring a check or cash 'cause they don't take credit. I ended up paying $26.* for my replacement. Comes to about $2.16/foot with tax. If you go the stock for our poles is right behind the saw, across from the office (which is no more than an oil soaked plywood table). Like I said old school, but good people.
  • I am using the new pole in the first video. The second video is with the old pole. You can see the factory pole is black anodized. The new one is not anodized. The inner diameter is the same between the two, as the end caps worked perfectly. The wall thickness on the new pole is slightly thicker but prebend was fine with no problems. The prebend is the same as I am using the same spliced amsteel blue lines on both poles for prebend.

(new pole)
    (old pole, anodized)

--
    Daniel Evans
    N I20 Miami FL
    --
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydhX3HhuZwI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LPYa7oFB5Y

Try this again.

--
    Daniel Evans
    N I20 Miami FL
    --
  • Do you remember the OD, ID and alloy of aluminum you used?

I'm still a long way from putting a spin on my aged P-Cat, but if I ever do get around to it, it'd be nice to know.

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • QuoteDo you remember the OD, ID and alloy of aluminum you used?

I'm still a long way from putting a spin on my aged P-Cat, but if I ever do get around to it, it'd be nice to know.

when you are close .. .purchase the hoop you want first.. then you will know what OD fits the hoop best.. (PS most alum spin poles are either 1.5" or 2" OD)

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.