Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mystere 5.0 Mainsail  Bottom

• Does anybody know what boats might have similar mainsail dimensions to the Mystere 5.0? I am guessing a Nacra 5.0 and a Hobie Getaway have similar dimensions. Boomless mainsail is the key. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I received an email from a forum member telling me about a friend with a Dart 18 mainsail, which may need to be cut down to fit. I will be calling on it tomorrow.

The measures for the current sail: (I don't know what the original sail dimensions were.)
    Luff: 22'8"
    Leech: 23'3"
    Foot: 6'10"

If anybody knows the measures for the Hobie Getaway mainsail, would you please share. I have had no luck finding the measures.
  • You can convert a sail made for a boat with a boom to a boomless sail by adding a bracket to the sail to hold the blocks, and a lower batton. I did this many times when I had a Dart 20. I used several Mystere 5.5 Mains and Tornado Mains when I had the Dart. Keep in mind the foot needs to be shorter on boomless boats to get the correct sheeting angle.
    You might be able to expand your search.
    Good luck

--
    Steve Fisherkeller
    P19MX
    --
  • alohasrqDoes anybody know what boats might have . . .

mystere Composites (mysterecomposites.com) is selling mystere parts and Yves is producing a new mystere 6.0. (It looks cooool)

and they have a school with boats...

perhaps they have sails for sale?

Yannick Sansoucy
    Directeur
    ecoledevoilesansoucy.com
    mysterescomposites.com

450-472-8042
  • I contacted Mystere - They offered up a new sail. It wasn't in my budget... I have emailed the school. Having a sail refitted / cut / modified sounds like it could be a pricey undertaking. Leading me back to considering purchasing a new sail. I am going to try out a friend's hobie getaway sail and see how it fits.

The new Mystere 6.0 looks very nice!
  • I received a quick reply for Yannick! He did have a lead on a used sail, but the price was on par with having a new sail made here in the US. He also had a couple of new sail options which sounded perfect, but they were race sails, and they were out of my price range.

I did find a Nacra 5.0 sail in TX. I am ready to pull the trigger and get it. I'm going out to the boat to meaure.
  • Looks like a Hobie Getaway sail will fit. We haven't run one up the mast yet, but based on the measures, it should be a better option than the nacra 5.0 sail. I'm finding some low cost NEW getaway sails which aren't much more $$$ than the used Nacra 5.0 sails.
  • I'm glad to hear you were successful in contacting the Mystere folks in Canada. I haven't had to go that route yet but may need to in the future. I'd be interested in knowing more details and the price range of the new sails Yannick quoted you if you don't mind sharing? Also, please keep us updated on how the Getaway sail works out if you go that route. Thanks.

--
    Steve - Texas Gulf Coast

91 Mystere 5.0 (sold)
    04 Nacra 570 (sold)
    08 Hobie Wave
    00 Taipan 4.9
    --
  • Is your M5.0 an XL? Does it have spreaders, substantial downhaul, and a squaretop? The non-XL used a pinhead and I think it had a shorter mast. Which sail are you looking for? Watch the luff length.

Steve Fisherkeller is right about the foot length on a boomless boat so be careful. The foot has to be shorter than beam-beam length to create outhaul tension.

You might consider an F16 main. For my 5.0XL I bought an older Taipan 4.9 main and it fit perfectly. The old T4.9 used a "short-head" squaretop (~15") due to the original T4.9 class rules so it might work on either M5.0. The original 5.0XL squaretop from 1998 had a 36" head! You could cut off the top of a used main if the luff is too long for your boat and reorient the top batten. I have a photo of the T4.9 main lying on the M5.0XL. I'll try to find it and post it.

You have to either convert the sail to boomless (bottom batten pocket and clewplate) or add a boom to your boat. The foot of the Taipan sail was the same as the factory Mystere 5.0XL squaretop so that wasn't a problem for me. To add a boom look at an F16 and copy their simple boom design. You can use an old Sunfish spar and a Hobie 14 gooseneck. With a boom you'll need to add rotation control, too, just a simple one. If boomless, you can skip the rotation overrotator. Plus, nobody makes that triangular rotator bar anymore. There's lots of little details to consider here. Forget one and you go slow.

The Mystere 5.0XL was my favorite boat (RIP...sniff...).

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.