Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What's the difference  Bottom

• between a prindle 18 and 18.2

nacra 5.7 and 5.8

Thanks, John
  • 18 and 18-2 have the same rig, but different beams and hulls. Consequently, the 18-2 is more of a boat IMO, at least it makes better use of what it's got upstairs. The 18-2 is certainly a more expensive boat than the 18.

The 5.7 and 5.8 are entirely different. I've not been on a 5.7, though, so I'll just say a 5.8 is a wonderful, hull-flying, chop-bouncing, beast. I would guess that the 5.7 (of which I've only even seen one) has less buoyancy, less heel, and a bit less power. That's not to take away from the 5.7, but I'd say the 5.8 is on the cusp of being too damn much boat for someone to learn on solo.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Actually, the only thing the older P18 has in common with the 18-2 is the mast. The boom and sails are significantly different, as are the hulls and rudders. The 18-2 and P19 were designed by Richard Loufek using the olympic class Tornado as a starting point. They share a four-way jib block adjuster, metal roller main traveller car and centerboards that allow for smaller rudders than the P15/16/18.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I don't doubt I stand corrected, but I really thought the 18 and 18-2 used the same sails.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • The 18 has an 8" beam the 18/2 has an 8.6" beam The 18 has assemetrical hulls and the 18/2 semetrical shaped hulls. Both are great boats.
  • yurdleI don't doubt I stand corrected, but I really thought the 18 and 18-2 used the same sails.

Pretty sure the stock rig on the P18 and P18-2 are exactly the same. The only difference is the symmetrical hulls shape and centerboards. I help a guy out with one early his season and his rig looked identical to mine.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Most importantly.....

P18-2 is rated ~8.2% faster than P18 on D-PN. N 5.8 is rated ~9% faster than N5.7.

(Also, N5.8 has daggers; N5.7 has skegs and no boards.)

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • They look the same, but:

Boom on the 18 is elliptical with external outhaul in the kerf.
    Boom on the 18-2 is square, has internal 4:1 outhaul car and is slightly longer than the 18 due to the different sail.
    The 18-2 and the 19 share the same boom.

Pin head sail is slightly bigger on the 18-2 as is the jib. The square top main that was an option on the 18-2 is a lot bigger, fewer battens and was a mylar laminate yet came with a dacron racing jib.

18 sail area with pinhead sails 218 sq ft
    18-2 sail area with pinhead sails 233 sq ft

Some of the differences are visually subtle, like the beams being 8 feet vs 8.5 feet, and the crossbars were drawn from the same extrusion, just longer. The 18-2 and 19 used many identical parts (trampoline, crossbars) but they were a true redesign from prior Prindles. I had a P16 for eight years and sailed on my friends 18 when I could. Aside from local lakes, I sailed it in the Pacific (So Cal), Sea of Cortez and Couer d' Alene Lake in Idaho. They are great boats, but I had to sell the 16 to buy the 18-2.

Sheet In!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • aren't there both a skeg and dagger version ?

Edited by MN3 on Aug 20, 2012 - 01:57 PM.
  • Does the 18-2 have battens in the jib? Found a 1986 18-2 that has been in storage since 1990. Really
    interested in it but the jib is missing. Supposed to be near mint condition.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • maybe small battens towards the top but not fully battened jib like Hobies.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • As far as the Nacras go. The 5.7 is an 18.6' skeg boat, 360lbs, 8' beam, boomless main and 230 ft2 of sail area. It has piles of bouyancy due to the skeg shape. A little slower than other 19' boats due to the extra wetted area of the hulls (higher drag than board boats), but not slow by any means.

The 5.8 is a scaled up version of the Nacra 5.2. It is 19' long daggerboard boat, 8' beam, 390lbs, came in both boomless ad boomed versions and 241 ft2 o sail are. Not as much bouyancy as gthe 5.7 but has a more efficient hull shape and larger sail plan. So it's very fast, racey and a little twitchy (like all the Nacra Daggerboard boats). Overall a very fast boat that can hold its own with many newer designs.

The P18-2 is a scaled down Tornado. Super fast and lots of power, a real rocketship! The P18 is more of a scaled up P16.

All are very nice boats.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • pknapp66 Does the 18-2 have battens in the jib? Found a 1986 18-2 that has been in storage since 1990. Really
    interested in it but the jib is missing. Supposed to be near mint condition.

There are two small battens sewn into the leech of the jib, six to eight inches long, about a third of the way up and down.

MN3aren't there both a skeg and dagger version ?

??? Centerboards swung forward on a pivot on both the 18-2 and the 19. There was an optional set of rudders that were longer and rounded for the 19MX, which had a big flat top mylar mainsail and a much longer (and lower) jib that required a bowsprit. These rounded rudders required extended gudgeons, and an extended pipe from the rudder castings that brought the rudder crossbar forward to the rear crossbar.

There is more Prindle 18-2 and 19 information here:
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=88542

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • pknapp66 Does the 18-2 have battens in the jib? Found a 1986 18-2 that has been in storage since 1990. Really interested in it but the jib is missing. Supposed to be near mint condition.

lozhaldThere are two small battens sewn into the leech of the jib, six to eight inches long, about a third of the way up and down.

My bad. From the skipper's position I can't see the leech of the headsail. I pulled my jib out yesterday to clean it and found that it has three battens sewn into pockets in the leech, all about 7 inches long, by an inch wide and 3/16" thick. They are more or less equally spaced along the leech.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.