Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

St Simons Island, GA  Bottom

• I'm going to St. Simons for the week of 4/3 - 4/10- bringing the cat with me. I saw on satellite photo a large lot filled with cats at east beach. Can anyone use this area? Can I leave the boat here so I don't have to rig/de-rig every day? Would anyone have a set of beach wheels I could use? I'm still pretty new at this and have only launched from boat ramps on Lake Hartwell. Beach launch will be new for me. I could also use some help with rigging cheats as it takes me forever to get things rigged. Anyone around to help the noob?

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --
  • I think this is the place on east beach that you were looking at. I found this by googling the address from google earth. Good luck

St Simons Surf Sailors

http://www.stsimonssurfsailors.com/Home.htm

Their contact page with phone # http://www.stsimonssurfsailors.com/Contact.htm

http://www.stsimonssurfsailors.com/Photos/eastbeach001.jpg

Edited by skarr1 on Apr 02, 2011 - 05:38 PM.
  • Thanks for the link; I've contacted them. :)

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --
  • Did I count 60 catamarans in that lot?WOW looks like a fun road trip to enjoy some salty waters with other cats.....Bill 404 21SE icon_cool

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • We checked into getting a spot at the St Simons lot and found that you need to become a annual member in order to use the facilities. The lot is first-rate and they have beach wheels you can borrow. The last time I checked, it was about $350 with the key deposit.
    Another alternative is to launch at Jekyll Island which is the next island south of St Simons. It only costs $5 to launch and sailing around Cumberland Island is a great way to spend the day. At the end of the day, you can pull your boat out, rinse it off (bring your own garden hose) and leave it mast up in the parking lot. As long as the rangers see the boat move every day, they will leave it alone.
    It is also fairly shallow at the S GA coast, so pay attention!
    Thanks!
  • Hyperope, How about a trip report? Did the club let you use their facility?
  • Mr Eric C
    Thank you for visiting our facilities. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Please let us know if we can help you again on your next visit to St Simons Island. Visit our website: http://stsimonssurfsailors.com/ where you can find most answers to your questions and pictures and Join Us on FACEBOOK too! Thank you again
    Club Manager
    St Simons Surf Sailors Inc.

--
    www.StSimonsSurfSailors.com Email: surfsailors@stsimonssurfsailors.com PH: 912-634-9533
    --
  • Good morning Mr Weller... let us know when you want to join our membership!
    Club Manager

--
    www.StSimonsSurfSailors.com Email: surfsailors@stsimonssurfsailors.com PH: 912-634-9533
    --
  • I had a great time in St Simons Island. Great place to sail, but must be cautious of shoals and sand bars. I contacted Sandy with the ST. Simons surf sailors and inquired about keeping my boat at their facility for the week. From what I saw on thebeachcats.com, I was afraid I would not be able to store it there unless I had a one year membership. To my surprise, the manager, Sandy was more than willing to accommodate my rig for the week; the price was great. If you look on google earth, you will see how conveniently located the facility is- about 200 yards from the surf located at east beach. I could leave my boat there rigged and was able to wheel it out to the surf (my first experience with beach wheels) anytime I wished. After a quick sail hauling and fine tuning, I was off. With the one week rental, I was issued a key for the lot and had access to the clubs' beach wheels (they have several sets). The members I encountered while there (thanks John and Andy!), were quick to lend a hand when needed and provided valuable information regarding the location of sandbars, wind patterns, etc.

A note about the sailing itself. The winds were great most of the time; water was fairly warm (coming from someone who sails on mountain lakes), but if you have daggerboards or non-pivoting rudders, BEWARE. There are several large sandbars right off the beach that I am sure would wreck your day if you hit them at speed with boards or rudders. I was able to see the bars at low tide and was kindly led back through the "channel" by Andy when I lost my bearings and almost grounded. (Danke shoen, Andy). Close to the beach, though, one can make long runs in smooth water due to the sand bars cutting down the waves from offshore.

I had an incredible experience with the st simons surf sailors and would recommend them to anyone who is looking for a place to launch/store their boat when in the area. Being a lake sailor, I now know the attraction of beach launching one's cat. I'm hooked. If you are in the area, please do not hesitate to contact Sandy at 912-634-9533. You will not regret it. (No, I am not a paid advertiser) icon_wink

I'm now getting ready for the Annual Mug race in Jacksonville. Cleaning the cat up, a few gelcoat repairs, sail repairs Adding my graphics, and then poliglo. Maybe I'll see someone there.

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --
  • THANK YOU SO MUCH MR. ERIC C!!!

--
    --
  • ericwellerWe checked into getting a spot at the St Simons lot and found that you need to become a annual member in order to use the facilities. The lot is first-rate and they have beach wheels you can borrow. The last time I checked, it was about $350 with the key deposit.
    Another alternative is to launch at Jekyll Island which is the next island south of St Simons. It only costs $5 to launch and sailing around Cumberland Island is a great way to spend the day. At the end of the day, you can pull your boat out, rinse it off (bring your own garden hose) and leave it mast up in the parking lot. As long as the rangers see the boat move every day, they will leave it alone.
    It is also fairly shallow at the S GA coast, so pay attention!
    Thanks!

Hi - hope this thread is not dead! Can you provide more details on launching at Jekyll Island? I don't see any obvious facilities on google maps.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.