Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

How to properly use the traveler?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Been sailing an F18 off and on this summer.

Downwind, we keep the traveler centered downwind with some decent mainsheet pressure. Reason is twofold:
    1) We use the sail as the backstay to prevent folding the mast from the strain of the spinnaker.
    2) When you're in the groove, the apparent wind shifts so far forward that the main thinks its going up wind (ie telltales are flowing properly).

Upwind, as Damon said, we downhaul for general conditions to flatten-out and depower the sail. Some might adjust in real-time, but generally we have the crew with the main-sheet easing a few inches on the puffs.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • To the original subject on an H18:

When heading to the windward mark, the traveler is centered and am sheeting for sail and boat trim.

Off the wind, I'm trimming via the Rick White method. Traveler to keep the bottom telltales flowing, mainsheet to keep the top telltales flowing and manage boat trim. Adjustments have to be made according to waves and apparent wind shifts

Heading "downwind", I've been parking the traveler about 6" in from the lee hull and steering for proper flow and ~90deg apparent wind.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • I'm certainly no racer but going upwind from a beam reach to close hauled I always keep my traveller close to centered unless I'm way overpowered and need to dump some air to keep from flipping. Downwind I let the traveller out progressively to the hiking straps until I get to a broad reach. And further downwind and I let the traveller out progressively until a few inches from the hulls. Note that I don't have a spin and am normally single handing, or single handing with passengers (i.e. sight seeing friends who sit on my sheets) so I try to keep my work load down as much as possible.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • QuoteIf we are talking the new model high-tech beachcats, like the F18's with there infinitely tunable bendy masts, those cats actually play the downhaul to power and depower the main rather than mainsheet or traveler.

Good points Damon,
    I was thinking more modern boat / sails
    (and mostly upwind in this discussion unless otherwise noted)
  • Holy Cow! My first post was directed toward the OP who keeps his traveller centered on all points of sail and, according to his sig, is on a 70's Solcat. It was meant as a general observation to compliment, not contradict, the other helpful information offerred here.

Venora: I highly recommend Rick White's "Catamaran Racing for the 90s." Don't worry about the title, the first several chapters include an abundance of boathandling information. It'll cost you a few bucks, but you know you get what you pay for, so it'll be a better value than the free advice here (especially mine apparently)!!!!!! icon_wink

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.