Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sailing System's Rudder Rake II adjusters for Hobie rudder rake  Bottom

• Hi all, I purchased this kit from a guy a while back and am thinking about installing it on my older set of Hobie 16 rudders. Obviously, the rudders don't have the rudder rake adjustments that the new ones do so I thought I would give this kit a try. It came with instructions and I think I understand them but I want to know everyone's opinion about them before I start drilling.

I linked the instructions here.

It mostly makes sense to me. Anyone have any experience with this?

Edited by PurdueZach on Apr 23, 2012 - 07:50 PM.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • Last picture is a scan of the parts for one rudder. The kit came with 2 sets for 2 rudders.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • Doesn't seem like anyone knows. I had the same lack of response over at the Hobie forum. I may just give it a go next week. I should be picking up 2 free parts boats next week so i'll have a few extra rudders.

Edited by PurdueZach on Apr 24, 2012 - 04:04 PM.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • Hey, if you have extra rudders in hand, I'd say go for it. I can see what the thing is trying to do. It looks like it makes an adjustable stop point, and does something with the cam lock so it still locks. Worst case it adjusts the rake but doesn't lock any more. In which case I'd say post pictures of the installation here, and people can troubleshoot.

I liked having adjustable rake on my Prindle. I don't have it on my current boat. So I'm interested in seeing how the idea pans out. No kits for a boat as old as mine, but I don't mind machining parts if the idea is sound.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • I'll definitely post back with my results. The parts are very simple and wouldn't be too difficult to machine something similar. Just a 1" slug with the center drilled out.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • Hey Zach,

How did you make out with this kit? I tried searching online for one without any luck, maybe the company is no longer in business. Once installed, were you able to lock the tiller down with the cam lock?

Thanks

Al
  • I think it ended up working pretty well. I set it right where I wanted but ended up having to shave a bit of rudder where the rudder hits the lower casting. It was no big deal and a piece of cake with my new dremel. I need to adjust it a bit further foreward. I'll let you know how it goes when I do that.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • And yes, I'm pretty sure they aren't for sale any more. If you could manufacture the round slug, you can make your own. I don't have any fab skills so I don't know how to do that (dumb electrical engineer over here).

--
    -Zach
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.