Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Rigging Quickly  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

• MN3
    Quoteif my sterns were forward the tow vehicle would be in the way when the mast was slid into position before raising...

you leave the mast in the trailer yoke as you slide it back into position and attach it to the mast ball. Once pinned, it is now sitting at an angle and you can simply walk to your rear beam, get in position and lift.

Duh... that makes a lot of sense now.

I feel the most time consuming job for me is raising the jib. I've thought about keeping the jib furled on the forestay but then I would need to add a snorkel or lines to keep it from unfurling when stowed. Probably would take about the same time..
  • Most of the time the jib shouldn't more than about 5 minutes. Make sure both lines of your halyard are going through the ring with the side with the hook towards the rear and the hook facing the rear. If it is setup right with a little practice setting the hook in the ring should be easy and usually happens the first time.

Are you using the standard setup with 2 halves of the halyard connected with sister clips or something different?

If you don't have a pull on the zipper it can help to have a short bit of batten tie on the zipper to make it easier to raise and zip at the same time. make sure the tail of the halyard that you are pulling is also inside the zipped section.

If your having trouble with particular part let us know what.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • I'm not having any trouble raising the jib per say, I just think there is some opportunity for improvement.

I do not have sister clips just a long single line; I coil the entire line and zip it into the luff. I was thinking about adding sister clips or using two lines; a permanent tensioner line and a halyard that attaches with a snap shackle of some sort.

I also have wings that I attach to the stainless tabs with bolts… it takes a minute or two longer but I love how rigid they feel.
  • My Hobie 18 had a 2-part jib halyard sister-clipped together. It made for a neater tramp, but it seemed as I was hunting for it if left it ashore, or could lose it if left it on board. I've gone back to a solid line and just coil it in the tramp halyard pocket.

--
    Hobie 16
    Hobie 18
    G-Cat 5.7
    --
  • You coil the jib line in the tramp pocket? Is it just running straight from the jib tack to the tramp kinda like the furling line?

Also, I cant wait to swing my boat around on the trailer... I was looking it over last night and I think this will save a ton of time with stepping the mast. Have any pictures of yours on the trailer this way?
  • QuoteHave any pictures of yours on the trailer this way?

see the supercat 19 behind my cat
    http://a611628.sites.myregisteredsite.com/a/cat/mar-16-07d.jpg
  • my old boat and old car
    http://www.asnstudios.com/images/honda2.jpg

Notice i am down the surf line to increase the angle (not enought).. every degree makes it a little easier to lift
  • QuoteYou coil the jib line in the tramp pocket? Is it just running straight from the jib tack to the tramp kinda like the furling line?

on my H18, i used to coil up the jib after sailing and leave it attached (you can see it sitting on the tramp in the above picture). I would tie it to the tramp under the hiking straps with the jib sheet. When i got home i would put the jib (sometimes) in a bag to get it out of the sun... not the best for the sail but saved about 10 min of jib rigging on my H18. This is not possible with my current furler (Portuguese turnbuckle system) and i wouldn't do it with my current sails anyway (cause i care about performance now.. back then i didn't really know what i was doing so it didn't matter all that much)

Edited by MN3 on Aug 03, 2012 - 09:19 AM.
  • QuoteAlso, I cant wait to swing my boat around on the trailer... I was looking it over last night and I think this will save a ton of time with stepping the mast. Have any pictures of yours on the trailer this way?

Keep in mind where the end of your mast sits when trailiering. If you part on the rear beam then reversing your boat on the trailer will have some technical difficulties. If you have a rear mast mounted to the trailer then your golden.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Quarath Keep in mind where the end of your mast sits when trailiering. If you part on the rear beam then reversing your boat on the trailer will have some technical difficulties. If you have a rear mast mounted to the trailer then your golden.

I have the mast secured using a mast caddy on the rear beam... I was gonna canabalize the caddy to make a removable support that attaches to the end of the trailer.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.