Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Stiletto 27  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Well i have been around water\sailing all my life, but not everyday! I grew up on a Mirage 27 then later we got a Abbott 33, we use to race a lot and cruise for Hours ! like 6 hours or more at a time! We would go to beaches but would have to anchor out in 6 feet of water, I hated that! The Mirage had a dagger board i remember that being a pain.. to pull up. this was all in a lake in Atlanta, now i am up in the north and Lake Erie is my water! I have raced on F27, cruised on a F24, and F28... I love how people hate it because of the storms it scares some.. I have been sailing and in storms and all kinds of weather so I am thinking at least 20 years of sailing. I recently got my 6 pack license.. but havent used it yet!

--
    Reynolds 21 Catamaran #38
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • tami
    tahoeprindle18
    You can buy a 27 for as little as 10K up to $25 for a GT tall rig.
    Compare that to an F27 and they are still a great bargain.

stiletto 27 The center daggerboard isn't particularly great for pointing.

Some have them on the sides

Edited by optikid on Sep 27, 2011 - 03:15 PM.

--
    Angelo
    1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
    2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • optikid

Please reread my post, in which I mention the Stiletto _23_ which has daggers in the hull.

Actually, the board on the 27 is a centerboard IIRC, it pivots, not drops. I have seen a couple of customized Stiletto 27 which have hull daggers but that isn't a stock config. Here is a VERY customized S27, in fact the same people who did my boat have this one as their latest project

http://www.youtube.com/wa…bE8Afhw&feature=youtu.be
  • [quote=tami]
    tahoeprindle18
    You can buy a 27 for as little as 10K up to $25 for a GT tall rig.
    Compare that to an F27 and they are still a great bargain.

Define "bargain." I speak from personal experience with both boats.

The F-27 has FAR more accommodation than does the Stiletto 27: F-27 has a built-in galley, head, and a double cabin aft a/w/a sleeping space in main cabin. F-27 points higher and sails faster (stock, that is) than the Stiletto 27. F-boats are a HELLUVA lot easier to trailer.

Stiletto 27 has no built-ins, and unless you rig a deck tent, the sleeping is frankly coffin-like in the hulls, and the ventilation sucks (rather, it doesn't suck IUTMM). The center daggerboard isn't particularly great for pointing. Additions of aftermarket sails and rigging will improve the Stiletto's performance, though. The Stiletto 23 is a better performer to weather with its in-hull daggerboards, but it has less space in the hulls of course.

I have a season of F27 time just to set the stage here...

I bought my Stiletto 27 SE for $13K with a Honda 15 4 stroke and a great sail wardrobe and the boat is in great condition.

For how I use the boat (day sailing/weekend camping) it is way better than the cramped cockpit of an F boat.
    you cannot get 6 people sitting in an F27 cockpit without being super cramped.
    Not to mention the deck area on the stiletto dwarfs the F boats.

It sails as fast but not as high as a F27.

I have in my SE a head and galley as well as fitted bunks with lumar deck hatches that provide plenty of air in the hulls when sleeping.

Comparing price to an F27 I could buy 2 Stiletto's.

So bottom line when it comes to budget and performance the S27 is hard to compare to anything else out there.

Cheers

Al
  • Yes i know all about the F-boats that is where i want to be someday, they are pricey but hey keep there value too! I am just wanting something i can pull for now and have friends on nothing to exspensive i can do repairs i am very handy too so if i found something that needs work that would be awesome right now too.. What ever it is i get it needs to be beachable!

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • For what its worth, back in June I ran across one on a trailer outside a barn on the SE side of Lake Wawasee in Indiana. Here's a quick pic.
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6165/6201316569_4b174461cd.jpg

Had never heard of a Stilletto a the time, so it was quite a novelty. Couldn't take a close look as the lot was fenced in.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • There is a 23 on craigslist in NJ for $7kish if your willing to compromise.

http://southjersey.craigs….org/boa/2579892024.html

Edited by bacho on Oct 02, 2011 - 03:35 PM.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • tami
    optikid

Please reread my post, in which I mention the Stiletto _23_ which has daggers in the hull.

some 27 have in on the sides.
    http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/optikid/bob.jpg my sailing club owns it. also notice the one in the background.

Edited by optikid on Oct 02, 2011 - 04:39 PM.

--
    Angelo
    1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
    2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • tami
    optikid

Actually, the board on the 27 is a centerboard IIRC, it pivots, not drops. I have seen a couple of customized Stiletto 27 which have hull daggers but that isn't a stock config. Here is a VERY customized S27, in fact the same people who did my boat have this one as their latest project

Wow that is one sweet ride. I want one like that.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Whats the history of a Prindle cat, are they fast to ? some look ugly tho? What are your opinons on them? I do like being higher off the water tho too..

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • As I understand prindles were made by what is now performance catamarans who make the Nacra cats. I agree the 16 and 18 are kinda ugly but the 18-2 and 19 are pretty sweet. The 19 is basically a scaled down tornado

Edited by bacho on Oct 03, 2011 - 01:35 PM.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • I don't think they are ugly just different. The asymmetrical hulls like the Hobie 16 make them Dagger less which I like as one of the lakes I sail gets pretty shallow before you hit the beach. The Prindles are also tanks when it comes to heavy beach use. I wouldn't mind a 19 or something later on if I decide to upgrade but I like the idea of having a Stiletto 27 someday as well.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • you'd be lucky to own a prindle...any one of them. i'm a lifetime hobie guy, got my p-16 3 years ago, my h-16 is collecting dust. used to think prindles were goofy looking too, until i owned one, now they're beautiful. simple, strong, light, fast, cheap, heavy payload, heavy wind boat. test drive one before you turn your nose up.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • I sailed Prindle 18's before I got my S27 this season.
    First time I owned a Prindle and I was really impressed with the P18 for sailing off the beach.

Much safer than a H16 as the Trampoline is way back and the longer hulls and more free board mean you have to be REALLY powered up to even get anywhere close to pitch poling. P18/P16's are great beach boats and the price is right as most people want newer equipment.

But what happened to your Stiletto dreams?
    One that needs some TLC just came up for sale on wildjibe.com for $12k

Cheers

Al

Edited by tahoeprindle18 on Oct 04, 2011 - 08:20 PM.
  • tami
    optikid

Stock 27 is a central daggerboard, the lower frame rubbers grip the board allowing for partial lowering and raking fore or aft for trim. it works ok and is very simple but not the best for clawing upwind.
    Its great when driving up a beach, pull the board out lay it on the tramp and drive up the beach.
  • Harken blocks are standard on all Prindles (no crummy Seaways). Unbattened jib means cleaner tacks, no battens to catch on halyard wire. 40 lbs lighter than a H-16 and deeper bows to greatly reduce pitchpole. With 190 sq ft sail area the P-16 is particularily suited to stronger winds. The P-18 carries three easily and is the best assymetrical cat out there. Pete
  • Any 27 for $10K is gonna need more money spent on it. Tami is spot on about about needing something 21' plus if you're planning on 4 people aboard. The Stiletto 23 will do that and still have some performance, the Reynold 21 is heavier, with less power, more storage. The H21 is a big beachcat. Supercat 20 could probably be pressed into service if careful not to sail in over 15 kts with that many aboard. The ARC 22 has a crew max of 500 lbs, really a two person boat. The loads on the rigging and platforms go up significantly with big crew weights, so beware in big winds. None have any real accomodations.

Dave

Edited by davefarmer on Oct 16, 2011 - 06:13 PM.
  • My dad has a Reynolds 21 I think for like 5k. It's in Maryland.
  • Well I know the comedations are not great but I could do small charters on stiletto . But why when I'm looking up boats on bluebook like a 1979 stiletto. Is worth around 7k. The 23 is less

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • Just to chime in. I am a Hobie 16 Sailor and also owned a Catalina 30 to cruise with the wife and friends. I so badly wanted to upgrade to a stiletto 27 and sell off the other boats as it seemed to be a nice compromise of exhilarating fun yet large enough for the wife and friends. After much consideration and looking at everything in the price range and functionality I ended up purchasing a Seawind 24. The bottom line is this, I have never heard of a Seawind capsizing and for the fact I want to bring my wife, family, friends and kids aboard this was the deal maker. I was out this summer near Fire Island Inlet (NY) watching a Stiletto 27 screaming around, wind was about a steady 20 with the occational gust. and then it happened the stiletto flew a hull and kept on going. Then completely over. Seeing that took the purchase right off the table. I have now been out on my seawind in 20+ kts gusting to 30 and she sailed flat as a board and I hit 22kts recorded on my GPS. The interior accomodations are slightly better than the stiletto you can actually move around below as the hulls are a little wider. Aslo the beam is 16' compared to 14' on the stiletto. It is also trailerable the same way the stiletto is on the expandable trailer. Not sure about the stiletto but anything over 15kts of wind is a VERY wet ride.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.