Stiletto 27

As i look for a loan from a bank yet i think i would be better of with a stiletto first, but i do want a Hobie too. So can anyone share the bad and goods of these boats? I wouldnt mind having a project boat too, Since i might have 10 people at one time, but not all the time maybe 4 all the time. I am now looking at Stilettos !

--
Reynolds 21 Catamaran #38
Pennsylvania, PA.
--
get a stiletto for the party cruiz and get an old 16-18' beachcat project for funzies...now's a good time to borrow money, get plenty!

--
Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
bill harris
hattiesburg, mississippi
prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
--
I had a Stiletto 27 for 10 years...really good boat, light weight, raced it and cruised/camped with it. The only thing I wish would have been better was the pointing ability...it only has the center board through the deck. The earlier models before 1985/86 ? were constructed with aircraft epoxy...I had a 1983 Special Edition.

--
Kenny Boudreaux
2010 C2 F18 USA 323
Goodall Design "Southern Area Rep"
Owner of Sailboxes.com
--
I just got a Stiletto 27 SE and love it.

I had 2 P18's that the Mrs said "I want to go out you better get a bigger boat"
So after researching what was out there like Seawinds etc I settled on the Stiletto.

Its a bit under powered but for a family fun boat that is a blast to sail/camp/ use as a swim platform etc it cannot be beat.

Look here for the for sale list.
http://stiletto.wildjibe.com/forsale

Cheers

Al
In high school, I worked at a Hobie shop and we began selling Stiletto's. The store owner took the staff out on the boat one day when it was really blowing. Because I was the lightest guy in the crowd (I weighed all of 170lbs at the time), I was voted to try and see if the boat could pull up a skier. It was really hard, given how slowly the boat picks up speed, but after a lot of failed attempts, I was finally able to get up on two skis. How many people do you know that have skied behind a sailboat without assistance? Whenever I see one of those boats, it always makes me smile.

--
Karl, Captain of Stayin' Thirsty
2011 Hobie 16SE
Atlanta, GA
--
Stilettos are fun. my sailing club got one that was donated to them. it was a fast and fun boat we had the one with the dagger boards in the hull and we flew a hull so the dagger boards come out and we hit 30mph!

--
Angelo
1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
SARASOTA, FLORIDA
S.S.S
S.Y.S.P
--
So then for pointing which one should i look for the ones with the dagger boards in the hulls..

--
Pennsylvania, PA.
--
http://galveston.craigsli….org/boa/2561058678.html

--
TurboHobo
H14T
H16
P18
G-Cat 5.0
P16
--
http://easternshore.craig….org/boa/2607751997.html

--
TurboHobo
H14T
H16
P18
G-Cat 5.0
P16
--
I looked at that stiletto 30
its VERY corroded and with the Stiletto 30 you need a special trailer to move it.
the boat was put away 5/6 years ago after its owner became sick and has not moved since.
It sits in the most saline piece of ocean outside of the red sea.

This video was made by a buddy of mine who went to the boat and looked at it.

http://vimeo.com/28070469

Cheers

Al

Edited by tahoeprindle18 on Sep 25, 2011 - 09:31 PM.
Go with the 27'...tahoeprindle18 is right about trailering the 30'.

--
Kenny Boudreaux
2010 C2 F18 USA 323
Goodall Design "Southern Area Rep"
Owner of Sailboxes.com
--
For those that aren't familiar with the Stiletto boats and how they trailer there is a reprint of an old Yachting story about the 27 here.
http://www.thebeachcats.c…tto-27---25-years-later/

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=48030&g2_serialNumber=4

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
That is a nice read! thanks i do wish i could find a cheap one somewhere its crazy how expensive they still are after so long..

DamonLinkousFor those that aren't familiar with the Stiletto boats and how they trailer there is a reprint of an old Yachting story about the 27 here.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=48030&g2_serialNumber=4

--
Pennsylvania, PA.
--
if you live near sarasota fl there is a nice stiletto named Cat 5 for around $25,000 i will see if i can find a ad for it.

--
Angelo
SARASOTA, FLORIDA
S.S.S
S.Y.S.P
--
Well I do not live there I am in Pittsburgh. And that is to much right now
I'm thinking if one needs fixed up or something. But my budget is below. 10 k. But thanks
for looking I might have to go back in looking for a hobie. Cat.

--
Pennsylvania, PA.
--
get a used f18 there very fun and very fast!! (25-35 knots about)

--
Angelo
SARASOTA, FLORIDA
S.S.S
S.Y.S.P
--
KennyBGo with the 27'...tahoeprindle18 is right about trailering the 30'.

30 looks great on paper if you dont plan on moving it.
But the appeal to me with the 27 is its portability and flexibility of places to sail.

You can buy a 27 for as little as 10K up to $25 for a GT tall rig.
Compare that to an F27 and they are still a great bargain.

Cheers

Al
soulofasailorThat is a nice read! thanks i do wish i could find a cheap one somewhere its crazy how expensive they still are after so long..

DamonLinkousFor those that aren't familiar with the Stiletto boats and how they trailer there is a reprint of an old Yachting story about the 27 here.

compared to a F boat they are bargins,

Look on the wild gybe site for the forsale list.
there are more boats on the east coast FYI.
very similar to the NZ 8.5mtr, (27'10") rule catamarans....but those are not easily trailered and cost quite a bit more...though they have a very good racing class in auckland...pity the stiletto didn't sell in large enough numbers for class racing

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts-sail-boats/moored-boats/auction-369568229.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts-sail-boats/moored-boats/auction-377749195.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts-sail-boats/moored-boats/auction-363623451.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKzoYju7H3k&feature=related

Edited by erice on Sep 27, 2011 - 05:10 AM.
tahoeprindle18

Define "bargain." I speak from personal experience with both boats.

The F-27 has FAR more accommodation than does the Stiletto 27: F-27 has a built-in galley, head, and a double cabin aft a/w/a sleeping space in main cabin. F-27 points higher and sails faster (stock, that is) than the Stiletto 27. F-boats are a HELLUVA lot easier to trailer.

Stiletto 27 has no built-ins, and unless you rig a deck tent, the sleeping is frankly coffin-like in the hulls, and the ventilation sucks (rather, it doesn't suck IUTMM). The center daggerboard isn't particularly great for pointing. Additions of aftermarket sails and rigging will improve the Stiletto's performance, though. The Stiletto 23 is a better performer to weather with its in-hull daggerboards, but it has less space in the hulls of course.

to the OP:

Look, if you're going to have four people all the time, don't even consider anything less than a Hobie 21 or a Hobie Sport Cruiser. Other options you might consider in your price range include the Farrier TRAMP trimarans, Edel Cats (not trailerable), MacGregor 36 cats, Wharram catamarans, older Gemini cats (not trailerable), F-24 MKI trimarans, Reynolds 21 cats.... there are lots of brands out there.

BTW, what's your experience level?
Well i have been around water\sailing all my life, but not everyday! I grew up on a Mirage 27 then later we got a Abbott 33, we use to race a lot and cruise for Hours ! like 6 hours or more at a time! We would go to beaches but would have to anchor out in 6 feet of water, I hated that! The Mirage had a dagger board i remember that being a pain.. to pull up. this was all in a lake in Atlanta, now i am up in the north and Lake Erie is my water! I have raced on F27, cruised on a F24, and F28... I love how people hate it because of the storms it scares some.. I have been sailing and in storms and all kinds of weather so I am thinking at least 20 years of sailing. I recently got my 6 pack license.. but havent used it yet!

--
Pennsylvania, PA.
--
tami
tahoeprindle18

stiletto 27 The center daggerboard isn't particularly great for pointing.

Some have them on the sides

Edited by optikid on Sep 27, 2011 - 03:15 PM.

--
Angelo
SARASOTA, FLORIDA
S.S.S
S.Y.S.P
--
optikid

Please reread my post, in which I mention the Stiletto _23_ which has daggers in the hull.

Actually, the board on the 27 is a centerboard IIRC, it pivots, not drops. I have seen a couple of customized Stiletto 27 which have hull daggers but that isn't a stock config. Here is a VERY customized S27, in fact the same people who did my boat have this one as their latest project

http://www.youtube.com/wa…bE8Afhw&feature=youtu.be
[quote=tami]
tahoeprindle18

Define "bargain." I speak from personal experience with both boats.

The F-27 has FAR more accommodation than does the Stiletto 27: F-27 has a built-in galley, head, and a double cabin aft a/w/a sleeping space in main cabin. F-27 points higher and sails faster (stock, that is) than the Stiletto 27. F-boats are a HELLUVA lot easier to trailer.

Stiletto 27 has no built-ins, and unless you rig a deck tent, the sleeping is frankly coffin-like in the hulls, and the ventilation sucks (rather, it doesn't suck IUTMM). The center daggerboard isn't particularly great for pointing. Additions of aftermarket sails and rigging will improve the Stiletto's performance, though. The Stiletto 23 is a better performer to weather with its in-hull daggerboards, but it has less space in the hulls of course.

I have a season of F27 time just to set the stage here...

I bought my Stiletto 27 SE for $13K with a Honda 15 4 stroke and a great sail wardrobe and the boat is in great condition.

For how I use the boat (day sailing/weekend camping) it is way better than the cramped cockpit of an F boat.
you cannot get 6 people sitting in an F27 cockpit without being super cramped.
Not to mention the deck area on the stiletto dwarfs the F boats.

It sails as fast but not as high as a F27.

I have in my SE a head and galley as well as fitted bunks with lumar deck hatches that provide plenty of air in the hulls when sleeping.

Comparing price to an F27 I could buy 2 Stiletto's.

So bottom line when it comes to budget and performance the S27 is hard to compare to anything else out there.

Cheers

Al
Yes i know all about the F-boats that is where i want to be someday, they are pricey but hey keep there value too! I am just wanting something i can pull for now and have friends on nothing to exspensive i can do repairs i am very handy too so if i found something that needs work that would be awesome right now too.. What ever it is i get it needs to be beachable!

--
Pennsylvania, PA.
--
For what its worth, back in June I ran across one on a trailer outside a barn on the SE side of Lake Wawasee in Indiana. Here's a quick pic.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6165/6201316569_4b174461cd.jpg

Had never heard of a Stilletto a the time, so it was quite a novelty. Couldn't take a close look as the lot was fenced in.

--
Jeff R
'88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
'10 C2 USA1193
NE IN / SE MI
cramsailing.com
--
There is a 23 on craigslist in NJ for $7kish if your willing to compromise.

http://southjersey.craigs….org/boa/2579892024.html

Edited by bacho on Oct 02, 2011 - 03:35 PM.

--
Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
--
tami
optikid

Please reread my post, in which I mention the Stiletto _23_ which has daggers in the hull.

some 27 have in on the sides.
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/optikid/bob.jpg my sailing club owns it. also notice the one in the background.

Edited by optikid on Oct 02, 2011 - 04:39 PM.

--
Angelo
SARASOTA, FLORIDA
S.S.S
S.Y.S.P
--
tami
optikid

Actually, the board on the 27 is a centerboard IIRC, it pivots, not drops. I have seen a couple of customized Stiletto 27 which have hull daggers but that isn't a stock config. Here is a VERY customized S27, in fact the same people who did my boat have this one as their latest project

Wow that is one sweet ride. I want one like that.

--
Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
Member: Utah Sailing Association
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
--
Whats the history of a Prindle cat, are they fast to ? some look ugly tho? What are your opinons on them? I do like being higher off the water tho too..

--
Pennsylvania, PA.
--
As I understand prindles were made by what is now performance catamarans who make the Nacra cats. I agree the 16 and 18 are kinda ugly but the 18-2 and 19 are pretty sweet. The 19 is basically a scaled down tornado

Edited by bacho on Oct 03, 2011 - 01:35 PM.

--
Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
--
I don't think they are ugly just different. The asymmetrical hulls like the Hobie 16 make them Dagger less which I like as one of the lakes I sail gets pretty shallow before you hit the beach. The Prindles are also tanks when it comes to heavy beach use. I wouldn't mind a 19 or something later on if I decide to upgrade but I like the idea of having a Stiletto 27 someday as well.

--
Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
Member: Utah Sailing Association
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
--
you'd be lucky to own a prindle...any one of them. i'm a lifetime hobie guy, got my p-16 3 years ago, my h-16 is collecting dust. used to think prindles were goofy looking too, until i owned one, now they're beautiful. simple, strong, light, fast, cheap, heavy payload, heavy wind boat. test drive one before you turn your nose up.

--
Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
bill harris
hattiesburg, mississippi
prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
--
I sailed Prindle 18's before I got my S27 this season.
First time I owned a Prindle and I was really impressed with the P18 for sailing off the beach.

Much safer than a H16 as the Trampoline is way back and the longer hulls and more free board mean you have to be REALLY powered up to even get anywhere close to pitch poling. P18/P16's are great beach boats and the price is right as most people want newer equipment.

But what happened to your Stiletto dreams?
One that needs some TLC just came up for sale on wildjibe.com for $12k

Cheers

Al

Edited by tahoeprindle18 on Oct 04, 2011 - 08:20 PM.
tami
optikid

Stock 27 is a central daggerboard, the lower frame rubbers grip the board allowing for partial lowering and raking fore or aft for trim. it works ok and is very simple but not the best for clawing upwind.
Its great when driving up a beach, pull the board out lay it on the tramp and drive up the beach.
Harken blocks are standard on all Prindles (no crummy Seaways). Unbattened jib means cleaner tacks, no battens to catch on halyard wire. 40 lbs lighter than a H-16 and deeper bows to greatly reduce pitchpole. With 190 sq ft sail area the P-16 is particularily suited to stronger winds. The P-18 carries three easily and is the best assymetrical cat out there. Pete
Any 27 for $10K is gonna need more money spent on it. Tami is spot on about about needing something 21' plus if you're planning on 4 people aboard. The Stiletto 23 will do that and still have some performance, the Reynold 21 is heavier, with less power, more storage. The H21 is a big beachcat. Supercat 20 could probably be pressed into service if careful not to sail in over 15 kts with that many aboard. The ARC 22 has a crew max of 500 lbs, really a two person boat. The loads on the rigging and platforms go up significantly with big crew weights, so beware in big winds. None have any real accomodations.

Dave

Edited by davefarmer on Oct 16, 2011 - 06:13 PM.
My dad has a Reynolds 21 I think for like 5k. It's in Maryland.
Well I know the comedations are not great but I could do small charters on stiletto . But why when I'm looking up boats on bluebook like a 1979 stiletto. Is worth around 7k. The 23 is less

--
Pennsylvania, PA.
--
Just to chime in. I am a Hobie 16 Sailor and also owned a Catalina 30 to cruise with the wife and friends. I so badly wanted to upgrade to a stiletto 27 and sell off the other boats as it seemed to be a nice compromise of exhilarating fun yet large enough for the wife and friends. After much consideration and looking at everything in the price range and functionality I ended up purchasing a Seawind 24. The bottom line is this, I have never heard of a Seawind capsizing and for the fact I want to bring my wife, family, friends and kids aboard this was the deal maker. I was out this summer near Fire Island Inlet (NY) watching a Stiletto 27 screaming around, wind was about a steady 20 with the occational gust. and then it happened the stiletto flew a hull and kept on going. Then completely over. Seeing that took the purchase right off the table. I have now been out on my seawind in 20+ kts gusting to 30 and she sailed flat as a board and I hit 22kts recorded on my GPS. The interior accomodations are slightly better than the stiletto you can actually move around below as the hulls are a little wider. Aslo the beam is 16' compared to 14' on the stiletto. It is also trailerable the same way the stiletto is on the expandable trailer. Not sure about the stiletto but anything over 15kts of wind is a VERY wet ride.
Also, the Seawind has daggerboards in each hull and they slant inward. I am able to point nearly as well as most monohulls out in the bay.
This post is old! I already bought my Reynolds 21 Last November 13th! I have had my boat out in 24+ winds i had no issues but my sails are old! I reached 18 knots with the R21 on this silly lake i am on. I do believe you can Flip any Cat, if the Stiletto was going over and you saw it " Go up and Up and UP then over" it seems the skipper didn't know what to do and never sailed cats before! All i did this year was sail with a bunch of Hobie guys! A totally different breed of people! So awesome to have met them, I have learned so much easy stuff, but stuff like when sailing a MONO you don't think of like, Moving a little faster! You do have time when flying a hull on a cat but you better know when its enough! I had mine almost over one windy day i had a Hull way out of the water" Mistake was falling off" so i quickly cam back up into Irons, then the boat came right back down!

You just have to know what is going on if your not paying attention then you will FLIP Her! I will get a F-Boat someday but i am having to much fun with the R21!

--
Pennsylvania, PA.
--
i have seen a stiletto 23 pichpole so it possible

--
Angelo
SARASOTA, FLORIDA
S.S.S
S.Y.S.P