Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Americas Cup  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

• I can't say I would not drive a good ways to see these boats in person.... That Spithill team showed some very good boat handling skills and strategy in those last races against the Kiwis. Especially the dance as I call it at the starting box. That first one they really put it to the kiwis leaving them basically dead in the water. Kinda shocking after watching them whoop up on the rest of the teams all week. These boats are really cool to watch, I especially love when they turn at the gate and grab a big bite of wind and that hull gets ripped off the water while the leeward hull starts to dig and you can just see the power of that huge wing and the gennaker pushing the boat away. Really impressive stuff. Reminds me of the first time I floated a hull on that Hobie 14 way back when I was a kid. It just FEELS fast and I could just imagine what the AC45 boats feel like when they get that massive push and take off along their state of the art Carbon fibre way.... haha peace

Pete
  • petefromtnCongrats to America's Cup AC45 Team Oracle Racing Spithill for a well earned victory over Team New Zealand.
    Pete

Uh Peace, I mean Pete, NZ won the AC World Series, and Spithill was third behind Artemis. Winner takes all in the fleet race. If your referring to yesterday's match races, NZ had issues with their head sail which costs them the match series. NZ dominated the week long series, including the championship and the speed trial, and beat Spithill earlier in the week in a match race.

Oh, and I'm a huge Spithill fan. PEACE

--
    Philip
    --
  • Then what the heck was I watching today? They had the finals for the week and spithill beat the Kiwis twice and they had the winners circle and champagne and whatnot? I heard they are sailing on Sunday too but it was supposed to be a fleet race. The video I watched showed that they were the Cascais World series winners? Perhaps I am missing something? Would not be the first time... Oh yeah and PEACE!!
  • Dude it IS Sunday, and it's already Monday in Portugal.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Oh yeah man I am aware it is sunday, if you read my post I watched Saturday's race on sunday after church and what does that have to do with who won? The video I watched as I said showed them as the winners of the Cascais World series event? The races were not even posted to youtube until well into the afternoon my time for each day that they sailed in portugal. I would have been watching it on Saturday evening but I had to take care of some things and could not get to it till sunday afternoon... Sabe? Peace

Pete
  • Not sure if the confusion cleared up....Pete, Saturday's race was the Match race championship....Spithill won....Super Sunday was today. That was the final fleet race...Sounds like you may have another day's worth of coverage to watch still. I just finished watching the final day and all of it was great. I'm already marking the calender for 5 weeks from now....they'll be in Plymouth for another series/stop on the tour.

--
    Bert Scott
    Niceville, FL
    Nacra F18
    --
  • I just spent 10 minutes reading the results page
    http://www.americascup.co…/Results-and-Highlights/
    on AmericasCup.com and couldn't make heads or tails of it.

They have "AC Preliminaries", and then "Seeding Races" and Match races, and more Seeding Races and then qualifying match races then Match Race Championships and then AC World Series Championship Cascais.

Finally I figured out that "Emirates Team New Zealand" on the "AC World Series Championship Cascais" (next one will be Rhode Island), and "ORACLE Racing Spithill" won the Cascais AC Match Race Championships.

http://www.americascup.com/webimage/Hero/PageFiles/4587/results_board1.png.jpg

http://www.americascup.com/webimage/Hero/PageFiles/4587/YouTube_Results_Final.png.jpg

Ok, I found something that clears the fog a little on the "how it works" page.
    http://www.americascup.co…s-portugal/How-it-works/

QuoteSunday August 14th

AC World Series Cascais Championship:

This title is at stake on the final Sunday in a winner-takes-all fleet race, where all teams will have a shot at the title, regardless of results to date.

This is a 40-minute, adrenalin soaked, fleet race, designed to identify the best team under the pressure of a single race format.

I couldn't find an overall "World Series" schedule on the site that shows future dates and locations.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I've only been able to watch a few hours of coverage from the first two days. Which days had the most wind? Were any of the match races in 15+?

Any links to the best of the YouTube videos to watch would be appreciated. The videos aren't titled very well, so it's hard to pic which ones to watch. I want the full length with announcers and graphics. And then maybe some good onboard feeds.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • 2011-2012 America’s Cup World Series Schedule

Event One: Cascais, Portugal, 6 – 14 August
    Event Two: Plymouth, England, 10 - 18 September
    Event Three: San Diego, 12-20 November
    Event Four: Newport, June 23 - July 1, 2012

The 34th America's Cup consists of three main stages - the America's Cup World Series (schedule above), the Louis Vuitton Cup and the America's Cup Finals. The Challenger will have to win the Louis Vuitton Cup to earn the right to race the Defender in the 34th America’s Cup.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Man that is really strange... SO they go thru a week of fleet racing to EARN the right to race in the top six match races on Saturday. Then they race those races and declare a winner with champagne and everything yet the next day they have a winner take all fleet race and THAT person is the overall winner of the Cascais race?? I just don't get it I guess and I agree with Damon, that diagram is more confusing than helping.... All I know is it sure was fun to watch these guys go at it with some really sweet catamarans....

Well wouldn't ya know it, my wife had to work all weekend and yesterday we had winds gusting gusting to 15 knots here and now today she is off and we can take the Cat out for a sail and there is NO DAMN WIND!! It is supposed to pick up in the afternoon but right now there is NOTHING!! oh well I wanted a sailboat right.... peace

Edited by petefromtn on Aug 15, 2011 - 07:36 AM.
  • This was day 6 and the last 2 races had plenty wind....http://www.youtube.com/user/AmericasCup#p/u/14/bmsFAgXqL5g

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Goodall Design "Southern Area Rep"
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • Man, am I glad you guys are confused....I was just keeping quiet cause I thought it was me.

Pete, it's two categories Match Champion and Fleet Champion....yes they seem to feed off each other along the way but here's what I saw. On Race Days 1-3 (W, Th, Fr), they had three "seeding" races each day. The points for those were only used to determine who raced "whom" in the daily match race. Then, those daily match race points were the ones that went forward. So, points from seeding races were only used to determine the match lineup for that day. Then the points from the daily match races were used to determine the top 6 for the winner take all match race held on Saturday. Then, they all came back for the final fleet race (all boats, no elimination needed) for the winner take all fleet race. I THINK.

The last time I looked at the "standings" on the AC page, I got totally confused because it seemed like they didn't show the entire progression in the correct order and likely mislabeled. I also think the race days are numbered differently on the youtube videos vs the event schedule...probably because there were some "preliminaries" (last Sat Sun Mon)...The youtube videos are numbered up to "day 7". So something is off because I only count 5 race days that mattered. Whatever.

They had ok to good wind throughout except for one day (I think it was thursday) when they aborted a race in progress and opted to move the whole course off shore. That was sort of interesting in itself. About an hour delay and then they got after it. On those days when they were close in, it was spotty so the trick was finding the wind on the course. I even heard one comment that the teams complained one day about the helicopters messing up the wind...Overall, it was the typical slower wind to start and building.

I would guess their best winds were Sunday and I think it built to 15+. 38 KPH was noted. They were in shore and it seemed rather like the other days (no bigger seas). I only saw Spithill and Korea stuff their bows...and I think Spithill did it on purpose at that awesome start line stunt on Saturday Pete mentioned....stuffing allowed him to stop quick then duck behind the Kiwis and get rights...pushed them into irons and powered off....perfectly done.

--
    Bert Scott
    Niceville, FL
    Nacra F18
    --
  • Yeah man Spithill really stuffed them at the start of that race, it was BEAUTIFUL.... I think that what I said is pretty much what happened in my post and is pretty much the same thing you just said. The fleet races all week were to get to the final top six teams who were to match race each other on Saturday to find the winner who was Spithill after two very successful runs where the Kiwis had issues with their Gennaker sail. Not both times but it was the kiwis biggest issue overall. They were damn near flawless everywhere else. It seemed like they never really did figure out what was causing it because they changed sails and had meetings apparently to discuss it but it just kept happening. I especially like watching the strategy of the teams and how they choose to go around the course and how they find the big wind. It is pretty impressive to watch and when I think how slow I go on my Nacra it just shows me more and more how DAMN GOOD these guys really are. I wish I had half their skills....

I think that the reality is that there were two different wins happening here, one was the match race and the other was the winner take all fleet race on sunday. I do not understand the reasoning behind the sunday race, why would it be necessary to have that race after the weeks fleet races and winding down to the winner on Saturday? It is confusing but I still enjoyed the hell out of watching it all transpire.. good stuff!!

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.