Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Americas Cup  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Yes! Awesome stuff, the onboard cameras and helicopters make for some exciting action.

Pretty funny when the grinder from New Zealand fell off the boat and they sailed off without him. Evidently they even have a rule about it that allows the teams to complete the race without all their crew if someone goes overboard.

Watched the whole two hours using the high-def YouTube feed on a 55 inch flat screen. Awesome.

After the fleet racing they had a 500 meter speed run, three attempts each. New Zealand won with a 28 mph average in about 15 mph wind. When these boats race in 20+ it's going to be insane.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I can't wait to see the big boy's come out to play

I made this gfx last year (to scale)

http://www.catsailor.com/bb_files/12316.jpg
  • ha! nice pic. I'm reposting.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • You guys saw that crash in the windward pin? I think it was Emirates (NZ) ramming someone else and a couple of guys fell off the boat. I unfortunately only saw highlights but looks exciting. Hopefully many the action gets more people into sailing and cat sailing.

--
    Alex

Prindle 16 "Shake & Bake"
    Portland, Oregon
    --
  • This stuff makes F1 car racing look like child play.
    I am so glad that the America's Cup is back with catamarans. While tri's are cool too, nothing beats the excitement of cat racing!

--
    Peter
    Vancouver BC
    --
  • ~~ Check this out>>>>> http://youtu.be/bJpFueH1wvQ

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I wonder how our small fleet of Phoenix 18's would stack up in this? ok ok, we'd get run OVERRRRR...... icon_lol

I'd love to learn by crewing on Oracle....

Edited by argento102 on Aug 10, 2011 - 06:25 AM.

--
    D Johns
    Phoenix 18 KC#126
    Port Hope Ontario

"If I put 2 Spinnakers on it, will it go faster?"
    --
  • What is really interesting, for me, is that the boat in front, Artemis, which was on starboard tack when the collision occurred, was disqualified. Watch it again. Both boats are on port tack, Rothschild is set up right on the layline and slightly inside Artemis. Artemis tacks, gets onto starboard tack going verrrrry slowly, Rothschild starts to bear away to miss her and doesn't make it by about 3 feet. Artemis gets a DSQ. I assume for tacking too close. Rothschild, or you or anybody, doesn't have to start to keep clear until the tack is complete and the (new) starboard tack boat is on the right course.

Rules are tougher when you only have three seconds to make an expensive decision.
  • That is simply amazing racing footage. I cannot believe how hard those two boats smacked into each other. That analogy of it being like Formula one on the ocean is spot on. The state of the art Catamarans with the finest Sailors in the world in some of the most beautiful places in the world. It is simply amazing how fast those boats can go.... I watched the Youtube short on the speed trials and to be able to run 42 knots is just awesome for a sailboat. It really is exciting to watch and I really love the way those beautiful hulls slice thru the water... that has got to be the most exciting sailing to watch anywhere... peace

Pete
  • Quote42 knots

it was 42 kilometers not knots.. .more like 26 mpg
  • Quotemore like 26 mpg

Would that be gallons of rum Andrew? icon_confused

More like 26 mph I would guess.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Quote~~ Check this out>>>>> http://youtu.be/bJpFueH1wvQ

Whose fault was that? Why was the black boat protesting? IMHO, they were the ones who were in error.
  • Oops my bad!! Sure seems like 42 Knots!!
  • smfinley
    Quotemore like 26 mpg

Would that be gallons of rum Andrew? icon_confused

More like 26 mph I would guess.

YES RUM! thats what i meant! :)
  • ericweller
    Quote~~ Check this out>>>>> http://youtu.be/bJpFueH1wvQ

Whose fault was that? Why was the black boat protesting? IMHO, they were the ones who were in error.

Rothschild despite being in front, did not give room for the other boat before completing it's tack

discussed in detail here - http://www.catsailor.com/…er=235838&gonew=1#UNREAD

18.2c
    When a boat is required to give mark-room by rule 18.2(b), she shall continue to do so even if later an overlap is broken or a new overlap begins. However, if the boat entitled to mark- room passes head to wind or leaves the zone, rule 18.2(b) ceases to apply.
  • petefromtnOops my bad!! Sure seems like 42 Knots!!

I often tell people cat sailing is the fastest 20mph you will ever feel!
  • I don't doubt that watching the videos makes it seem like they are really flying.. The way the teams work together on the boat is also very impressive. Looks like perfectly organized mayhem!! Also looks like a LOT of work...What is the fastest an 18 foot cat can go so far? Peace

Pete
  • QuoteWhat is the fastest an 18 foot cat can go so far? Peace

my guess is about 80mph (when dropped from a plane), but thats with the jib furled and the main reefed to reduce drag
  • QuoteWhat is the fastest an 18 foot cat can go so far? Peace

We had GPS data showing consistently over 20mph on a 20' cat. And that is a 30 year old Supercat design, so I am sure the newer boats are faster.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.