Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Americas Cup  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Well in that light I guess that is just plain SMOKIN'!! There is a fellow up north of me who has a supercat for sale but it has a bent mast.... I NEARLY bought it but that damn mast is pretty pricey. It was nice to see the American boats come in first and third on the second day but they kinda flopped the speed run. Those New Zealanders are really doing well and that damn boat of theirs just plain hauls butt!!
  • It's awesome that these boats are practically floating TV studios, so high-def video from all angles. All this AC45 sailing is really just a rehearsal for the real thing!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • QuoteNew Zealanders are really doing well and that damn boat of theirs just plain hauls butt!!

all the boats are the same.. its all about the skipper and crew
  • Quoteall the boats are the same

That is like saying all F18's are the same isn't it? I bet they all have their own little tweaks. Or do they walk up and pick a different boat each race? icon_smile

But yes skipper and crew is likely the biggest difference.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • They are built to the exact Formula rules (i think) but of course they all have little tweaks. Just like to F18 fighterjets, or 2 porches

The Alter Cup is a neat deal... 10 same boats.. rigged the same and 10 skippers. they switch boats throughout all the racing. and it can be different make/model of boat year to year
  • The AC45's were all built together in New Zealand as one design boats (I guess really One Manufacture One Deisgns) and then delivered to the teams for assembly and decoration. To say the boats arrived (in 40 foot shipping containers) with "some assembly required" is an understatement.

One account of assembly:
    http://www.americascup.co…gs-AC45-almost-complete/

Pictures of construction:
    http://valenciayacht.blog…construction-photos.html

So I'm sure each team has there own ideas about fitting out the boats, and sponsors to satisfy in the selection of lines and pieces. It also sounds like the final assembly of the wing masts would take some skill, I'm not sure if they had outside technicians for that. They have to apply the heat shrink plastic to create the wing surface.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Scary to think what that container full of boat parts cost. Would love to have one dropped off at my doorstep though icon_smile

Great links Damon.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Gotta be one of the coolest looking boats on the water anywhere. I gotta say tho that the videos I have seen of that hydrofoil Trimaran that holds the world record for sailing speed is pretty amazing looking.... I believe it is called Le Hydroptere' Amazing what a sail can achieve these days... peace
  • Last years boats were pretty damn sexy too!

I am more a cat than multi-hull guy but WOW~

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/attachments/general-sailing-discussion/25931-bmw-oracle-trimaran-90sail3.jpg?d=1220710182
  • As awesome as the AC45's are, the 72's are going to be un-freaking-believable. The fully developed 130 foot wing masts, crossing tacks at a closing speed pushing 100 mph! I couldn't find a reference as to how many crew the fullsize AC boats will use, couldn't be still five?

Can someone hook me up to ride in the passenger basket at the back of the boat?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • ~~ From what I can see, the AC 45 have 6 for crew... I couldn't find anything for the 'NEW' 72's..... The monos used to have 16 or 17 for crew >>> article here >>>> http://32nd.americascup.c…ing/beginners/actors.php ( I think I did it right ) yup I did

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • DamonLinkous
    Can someone hook me up to ride in the passenger basket at the back of the boat?

~~~ I looked it up... I'am in the back of the boat,,,,, Go find another !! icon_lol ~~

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Quotetacks at a closing speed pushing 100 mph!

I would expect there will be upper racing speed limits similar to last AC so racing about 18 knots is not likely. Last AC's vectors were extreemly impressive (doing over 40 in 15knot wind) but i wouldn't expect to see these cats breaking the speeds of last race (with bigger cat/multis)

Edited by MN3 on Aug 12, 2011 - 07:20 AM.
  • popeyez7~~ From what I can see, the AC 45 have 6 for crew... I couldn't find anything for the 'NEW' 72's.....

The AC45 has crew of 5. Total weight of crew not to exceed 437.5 kg. The 6th person you see is part of the on-board guest program, and that guest is regulated to specific limits and requirements.

The AC72 has a crew of 11. Total weight of crew not to exceed 1012 kg nor less than 957 kg.

--
    Philip
    --
  • That BMW oracle boat is just gorgeous. It really is amazing what can be acheived with modern composites and carbon fiber type construction techniques. I would bet that boat is as light as a feather too despite it's gargantuan size.... Watching the videos of it out on the open ocean slicing thru waves is truly impressive and the effortless speed they achieve is astonishing. Truly state of the art in hull and sail design... peace

Pete
  • MN3
    Quotetacks at a closing speed pushing 100 mph!

I would expect there will be upper racing speed limits similar to last AC so racing about 18 knots is not likely. Last AC's vectors were extreemly impressive (doing over 40 in 15knot wind) but i wouldn't expect to see these cats breaking the speeds of last race (with bigger cat/multis)Edited by MN3 on Aug 12, 2011 - 07:20 AM.

In past AC's the boats were tuned and only able to sail in a narrow wind range, this was a big problem for television since the races often didn't start to fit in a TV slot.

Part of the design brief of the new AC45 and AC72 is being able to race over a range of 5-30 knots. If these boats start a race in 25+ they might come close to the world speed record while racing!

Design Brief summary from The Daily Sail

A catamaran was selected as one element to transform and enliven the America’s Cup for the future. A multihull is the ideal dynamic class, capable of being raced hard in winds from 5 to 30 knots to minimize racing delays due to winds too light or too strong.

AC72 design parameters:

• LOA: 22.0 meters (72 feet)
    • Beam: 14.0 meters (46 feet)
    • Displacement: 5,700 kilograms (12,500 pounds) (Note, the last Americas Cup Class ACC had a displacement of over 55,000 pounds and was 79x13.5)
    • All-up weight: 7,000 kilograms (15,500 pounds)
    • Wingsail area: 260 square meters (2,800 square feet)
    • Wingsail height: 40 meters (130 feet)
    • Wingsail chord: 8.5 meters (28 feet)
    • Sail trimming: Manual grinders
    • Configuration: Twin-hulled catamaran
    • Crew: 11
    • Sail trimming: No mechanically powered systems
    • Sail area reduction: Removable top sections/leech elements
    • Appendages: Maximum of 2 rudders, 2 daggerboards
    • Construction: Minimum 600 grams/square-meter outer-skin;
    • High-modulus carbon-fiber permitted in wingsail spar

http://www.thedailysail.c…maran-box-rule-published

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Well then that settles it, I'm praying for 25+ knot winds!!! I wanna see what these babies can really do. If that information is accurate and the new boats are THAT much lighter than the previous ones we could see some VERY fast action. I cannot believe they have 130 foot high masts on them. Incredible.... I am beginning to see why you say that the AC45 boats are just the hors d'oeuvre's to the main course of this Amazing America's cup action. Bring on the big boys!! peace

Pete
  • Wow guys,
    My wife and I have REALLY been enjoying watching the action at Cascais, Portugal with the AC45 racing. Been rooting for Spithill but that Team NZ is really on their game. I thought Spithill had that match race on day 5 but it is really amazing how a tiny little mistake can be taken advantage of and you watch that fast black and Red boat go blowing by. The coverage and video as well as the audio from the boats is amazing and really fun to watch. Those Koreans are learning that boat pretty quick and the Artemis boat is also impressive. All of these guys really know how to read the wind and it looks like the Kiwis wrote the book on it. I am anxious to see how Saturday's match races end up. Please Don't blow it for me if you already know I wanna watch it on youtube with my wife as soon as they post it.

How many different venues are in the World series here? Day Five had some serious wind pressure and it was nice to see these boats pushing 40+KPH. What is also amazing is how fast they seem to accelerate out of the turns....

Team Korea Damn near pitchpoled around that first turn and that looked pretty cool, it was a great save and I think if they had more time on the Boat that Team Korea could be a real contender. They show a lot of speed at times and good strategy but they seem to make a lot of the easy mistakes that you cannot afford to make with the competition they are up against. This stuff is really cool to watch. Anyone else watch the full broadcasts on youtube like that? Pretty sweet. Peace

Pete
  • Congrats to America's Cup AC45 Team Oracle Racing Spithill for a well earned victory over Team New Zealand. That was a really exciting couple match races to watch and I thoroughly enjoyed the coverage of the races on high definition youtube. Can't wait for the next venue and more of this really cool and challenging racing. It really makes me want to take my boat out and learn more about how to sail her. Anyone else watch this? I was not able to watch it as it was posted last afternoon but finally got to watch it after church today. Great stuff!! peace

Pete
  • Pete,
    I've been watching it too...loads of fun and I was also pulling for Jimmy Sptithill....the youngest AC skipper ever if I heard it right. I still have not seen Sunday's final fleet race but seeing Jimmy in the match races against his boss and then against the Kiwis was awesome.

I agree, you can learn alot by watching. Even though most of us don't have the ability to incorporate the technology they have. If you think of it as the next evolution (or the next) of what we do have, it makes it very enlightening. But at the root, it's the same game.

Makes me want to plan a vacation around one of the other stops on their tour.

Edited by Beest on Aug 14, 2011 - 04:13 PM.

--
    Bert Scott
    Niceville, FL
    Nacra F18
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.