Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Capricorn Mast Base  Bottom

• All,
    I have a 2006 AHPC F18 Capricorn that I have to replace the mast base. I forgot to put the mast pin in and it fell on the old base crushing the mast rotator such that I can't easily slide the rotator bar into the base. AHPC doesn't make the old style base anymore and I had to upgrade to their new base. The new base did not come with any instructions and I can't figure out why there is a cleat on it since my old base did not have a cleat.
    Here is a pic of the old rotator bar and how the rotator control lines are attached.
    http://www.ezconstructionestimator.com/sailing/old_base.jpg
    This next picture shows how the new mast base will look. There is a yellow cord with a ball at each end that runs through the cleat. I need to find out how to rig this with the rotator control lines. Does anyone have any ideas?
    http://www.ezconstructionestimator.com/sailing/new_base.jpg

Thanks in advance!
  • Nice upgrade. It is a quick release for a preset position for mast rotation between your upwind rotation setting and the downwind setting. Very nice to have for WL bouys.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Thanks. Do you know how the control lines are rigged?
  • The yellow line attaches to your mast rotation line. When you are going up wind the bitter end yellow line will be sheeted hard against the rotator. When transitioning to downwind you release the yellow line cleat and it will stop on the stopper ball to a preset downwind position. When you make the turn upwind, instead of adjusting your rotation control, you quickly sheet the yellow line hard and you are back at your preset upwind position. You only use the rotation control for fine tuning.

Did it come with a small stainless Steel ring or a small bullet block? I have a picture I can add that will give you an idea.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Attach the bullet block that is on the old rotator arm to the yellow line and presto!

--
    Philip
    --
  • Thank you for the info. One last question. Do the bitter ends of the downwind rotator line simply tie off to the mast base?
    Thanks in advance!
  • I've seen it done both ways. Alot of the Nacra guys use the line bitter end to a SS ring, which goes through the rotation line (think 1:1). The AHPC folks like the bitter end to the base (think 2:1). 2:1 means more line on the clean tramp. Probably a case of follow your leader. Very easy to try it both ways.

--
    Philip
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.