Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.0 Mast dent  Bottom

• I am looking at a Nacra 5.0 which is in pretty good shape except for a small dent (2in x 1.5in) in the mast 4 ft up from the base. No cracks or deviation. Any thoughts on how to repair this or reinforce? What would the cost be? or could it be left until it becomes a problem? Also I have been trying to find replacement mast online but have had little luck. Really would love to know what folks thought. I am new to cats. Should this be a deal killer. What would be smart options?

Thanks
  • Depends on the depth of the dent. I think we all have put one or two dings in the mast. If it's that small and as you describe it doesn't sound like it should be an issue.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Saw a tutorial a while ago where someone built an extension to a tailpipe expander and repaired a dent with it.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Heres a photo
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=80871&g2_serialNumber=3

Thanks for any input
  • No diamond wires on the 5.0 mast?

I don't like the looks of that, if you were trying to make a mast fail by putting a dent into it, that's the direction you'd want the dent to run. It is pretty close to the base of the mast however, so I'm not sure how much side flex the mast would have in that area.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Yes there are diamond wires on a 5.0 mast. That may help a bit.

Not sure how bad that dent is, it isn't as trivial as I first thought. I have a couple of good dings in my mast and haven't had a problem (yet). It could probably be drilled and pulled. But being aluminum I don't know how much strength you will get back from that, it may make it worse.

Anyone else fixed something like that?

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • I'm in Norfolk, VA and I have a really nice 5.0 mast for sale. We have a Rookie Race coming up in a few weeks--you could swing by, get the mast and go sailing with the fleet!

However, I understand Ryan has been sailing the boat like that for several years. He has been in some pretty good wind, too.
  • Sounds like someone already did the prototype testing for you. If that's the case and there hasn't been much problem I would just keep an eye on it. If it starts to crack you will know it's time for a repair or new mast (you can have a mast cut, sleeved and welded if needed).

I was kind of wondering about that, I have a couple of dings that are a little smaller than that and have put my mast under some pretty good loads withou an issue. It hasn't looked like they have affected the structure very much or at all.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.