Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.8 demasted while sailing  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4:

• There is a story behind that clevis and a reason it wasnt replaced. Anyway i know the silicone is not to prevent corrosion. Its just for waterproofing of course. I was just saying because somebody commented from the grainy CL photo that it looked badly corroded when i think they were just seeing the silicone.

Dont worry Ive got plenty of bad idas to "fix" this boat from the narca thats seen better days to the narca from hell that should be put out of its misery.

Edited by biscaynecatsailor on Apr 13, 2013 - 04:22 PM.
  • The guy won't move from 3,000, yet. Boat I was looking for all previously was an 18 SX and this one seems to come with plenty, but for a bit more dough. Also it comes with the aftermarket squaretop sail that doesn't even feed into the boom and a small stormsail, no proper 18sx sail. wonder if it's even the proper sx mast.

http://tampa.craigslist.o…/hil/boa/3715437924.html
  • The 18 is loose footed if that's what you were concerened about. Looks like an SX mast to me.
  • Why don't they use the mini boomlet or just no boom for that?
  • Because it wasn't designed that way :)

Booms and boomless both have pros and cons. Take note that almost all performance boats today have booms, and most cruiser boats do not.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Quote Also it comes with the aftermarket squaretop sail that doesn't even feed into the boom and a small stormsail, no proper 18sx sail. wonder if it's even the proper sx mast.
    ....... rofl2 catsailor, you killing us with some of your statements.

FYI, some cats have fixed mainsail, when the mainsail is attached to the boom by sliding the foot of the sail into a track on the boom, the foot is fixed, ie H16

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=81603&g2_serialNumber=4

When the mainsail is attached to the boom by securing the clew of the sail to an outhaul car on the rear of the boom, it is "loose-footed", ie Tornado, Prindle, etc.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90926&g2_serialNumber=4

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=80155&g2_serialNumber=3

HTH
    R

Edited by the-renovator on Apr 15, 2013 - 08:48 AM.
  • biscaynecatsailor Also it comes with the aftermarket squaretop sail that doesn't even feed into the boom and a small stormsail, no proper 18sx sail. wonder if it's even the proper sx mast.

http://tampa.craigslist.o…/hil/boa/3715437924.html

That 1990 18SX looks like a really nice boat. Of course it would need to be inspected closely like any used item.

I can tell you that Hobie 18's built for the 1989 model year and later are as good as it gets. They have the strongest/lightest hulls and the best rudder system. The SX model had the long wings and also about 18 inches more mast.

The Whirlwind squaretop is a really nice sail. The sailmaker that owns Whirlwind, Chip Buck, worked for Hobie and was responsible for the computer design of the SX and Getaway sails among others.

Here's a picture that shows how the Hobie 18 main attaches to the boom, the boat in front has a Squaretop from Whirlwind and the boat in other boat has a standard shape dacron from Whirlwind. Both these boats are standard Hobie 18's, not SX's despite the wings on my boat.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=80715&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Yeah it's a long trip just to look at the boat and hulls. And after all that it's just another hobie. also while they say it holds lot of weight they say the h16 holds 800 lbs which just sounds scary and dangerous. The hulls are the same skinny style as all other hobies. And I was looking at a getaway parked on ft lauderdale beach it looks a bit watered down. Also saw a cross section of a getaway at the hobie store nautical ventures I-95 and griffin road it's literally plastic with some soft foam behind it. Doesn't seem stronger than good fiberglass.
  • Serious difference between a Hobie 18 and 16. The 18 will handle double the weight easily. I've owned and raced both. 800lbs on a 16 is a pipe dream but you could cruise on the 18 with close to that. I put 600+ on mine all the time. I raced my 16 at 340lbs and that was too much for it in my opinion.

The Getaway and Wave are tough as nails and are designed to take abuse in a rental fleet for years. The wave and getaway will take much more abuse than the glass boats, no question there. They do not offer the same performance though.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • Yeah the getaway seems pretty watered down. The low new price also reflects.

The 18 is like a 17 sport with much deeper hulls. I was pretty disappointed with the 17, wish I never bought it. I was actually trying to get an 18sx for 2000 that was in the same area but it got sold. The nacra has huge hulls. I can see where it would hold 6 people easy but that would put a ton of stress on the hulls right where the access holes are. It may have been sold, CL listing is gone. Prolly a good thing if it did.

Edited by biscaynecatsailor on Apr 15, 2013 - 12:43 PM.
  • How easily do those wing seats come off that sx as far as trailering? I trailered the 17 40 miles with the wing seats on, it wasn't cool. I was never told to take them off or that it was so easy.

Edited by biscaynecatsailor on Apr 15, 2013 - 12:44 PM.
  • They come off pretty easily. There is a couple pins to pull to flip them up, and a couple bolts to completely remove them.

Have you tried a 16 for your purposes? Takes a while to learn how to sail them, but they can go fast.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • 16s suck. been on those a lot. pitchpolasauras gotta hang off the back of the thing. point up wind poorly tack bad. Had a 1976 orange h16. solid hulls heard they were made with real epoxy with stronger chemicals back then. sides were a little thin is all.

Here's me on the 16 I just tore apart getting chased down on by two police departments, the coast guard and two private tow companies after trying to go out to the ocean thru haulover on a small craft advisory day.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8094/8545678835_f194dfd95e_b.jpg

Edited by biscaynecatsailor on Apr 15, 2013 - 01:14 PM.
  • biscaynecatsailorYeah the getaway seems pretty watered down. The low new price also reflects.

But you'd rather water down a boat that's not made for it?

biscaynecatsailorThe 18 is like a 17 sport with much deeper hulls. I was pretty disappointed with the 17, wish I never bought it. I was actually trying to get an 18sx for 2000 that was in the same area but it got sold. The nacra has huge hulls. I can see where it would hold 6 people easy but that would put a ton of stress on the hulls right where the access holes are. It may have been sold, CL listing is gone. Prolly a good thing if it did.Edited by biscaynecatsailor on Apr 15, 2013 - 12:43 PM.

I've never sailed an H17, so I can't really comment there, but I'm not really inclined to take your assessment of it, either. I don't understand any issue you'd have with that 18 other than the price, until you've seen it in person. I've sailed both, as skipper and crew, the H18 and the 5.8, and while I'd rather be on a 5.8, and I've sunk an H18 (port hull snapped right in half), I can't imagine anyone thinking that boat for boat, a post '87 H18 and a pre '85 N5.8 would be anywhere close to each other in terms of durability.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • biscaynecatsailor16s suck. been on those a lot. pitchpolasauras gotta hang off the back of the thing. point up wind poorly tack bad. Had a 1976 orange h16. solid hulls heard they were made with real epoxy with stronger chemicals back then. sides were a little thin is all.

Here's me on the 16 I just tore apart getting chased down on by two police departments, the coast guard and two private tow companies after trying to go out to the ocean thru haulover on a small craft advisory day.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8094/8545678835_f194dfd95e_b.jpgEdited by biscaynecatsailor on Apr 15, 2013 - 01:14 PM.

if you sail it right they are fine

--
    Angelo
    1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
    2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • not really do you have any idea how shallow and island packed the bay is? Also the fact that you have to constantly cross the go fast channel which along with all the bay is packed with boats on weekends.

Yeah I know my opinion doesn't count but the 17 is by everyone I've talked to "designed as a one person boat". It's so low the motor mount hits the water unless you're on one hull. I don't know why they quit making the 18, but the 17 I can understand, it's a pretty niche boat.

Yeah I'm sure this 18 sx unless there turns out to be something hugely wrong with it is better than the mod garaged narca, but it also costs more, doesn't have three coolers/two coolers plus hardwired battery box built into the hulls, does not come with mounted running lights, does not have a permanent and heavier duty but overall lighter motor mount, and is probably still not as fast. With the extra weigt in the narca (I did try to lift it, it is too heavy with the foam) it would actually be a good thing sailing alone. Not to mention the fiberglass on the narca is pretty darn solid. Remember it also has stiffening ribs on the inside.

Edited by biscaynecatsailor on Apr 15, 2013 - 02:58 PM.
  • Foam sandwich boats are stiffer than the solid glass. My solid glass 5.8 oil canned pretty good and was easy to hole.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • Is that bad?
  • Not if you like running into rocks and coral.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • biscaynecatsailorCL listing is gone.

Probably 'cause owner didn't want any half baked fruit loops pestering him.

--
    Philip
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.