Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.8 demasted while sailing  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

• Thanks, how did you make that hinge unit? It looks to neat to be garage built! Can you right the 5.7 using just the pole? I'd like to eliminate the bag if possible.
    One other question, I'm rebuilding a front beam, using the measurements you sent me, & have to drill holes for the V-brace.
    Your front V-brace was attached so as to give it a 73" length. I notice your rear beam tabs are at 73 3/4".
    Is this 3/4" difference due to hull curvature, (rear hulls at tab must be narrower than tab position on front hulls?), or do you think factory guy was strung out & made a mistake? Do those measurements result in your hulls not being parallel? Or, are the hulls deliberately not parallel, because under load they get forced closer to parallel?
    Does your 5.0 show the same difference between front & rear?
    I'd like to drill & build the beam this weekend, & can't find any specs. Those photos you sent me last season when your boat was upside down have proved very useful. I have the only 5.7 around, so I can't find another to look at.

Edited by Edchris177 on May 13, 2011 - 10:06 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Guys check out the book Skunkworks by Ben Rich. I'm a bit of an aviation buff (a week in a Jet Ranger 3 got me hooked) and an engineer by education and employment. That is an amazing read and talks all about the F104, U-2, SR71, F117. EC what are you doing to your front beam? I have a spare set of beam straps if you need them.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Righting question...
    Can a 170 lb man right a 5.2 with a knotted line mechanism (i.e. line attached to mast base over hull)?

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • It will be close, I do it easly but I'm close to 220 lbs.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • gcamickRighting question...
    Can a 170 lb man right a 5.2 with a knotted line mechanism (i.e. line attached to mast base over hull)?

in the ocean with constant strong winds and a waves to lift the mast from the water you MAY be able to

but on our flat water mountain lake, strong gusts can get my 5.2 on it's side and my 170lbs is unable to un-stick the mast and sail from the flat water at exactly the same time another strong gust is needed to get under the sail and start the righting...
  • Gray, If conditions are right, I can just get my 5.7 up solo, at 170 lbs. You need to be in good enough shape to hold yourself horizontal,fully extended, on your tiptoes, 4" off the water, then hold that position for 10-20 seconds. The sail will slowly come out of the water, & the mast about 3" off the water. Then I need a bit of wind under the sail, otherwise I sit in that position til I tire out. I bring a bag with me. I bought a large one, but only need a couple gallons in it, & the boat comes right up.
    I use a 3/4" line, easy to hold, with some well placed knots for hand grips. Put the boat on its side to see where you need the knots.

Edited by Edchris177 on May 13, 2011 - 06:32 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I am just about to possibly buy a nacra 5.8 for $3000, it's an older one, serial number gone but surely 80s. It's got a couple knicks but also has unique mods that could not be comparted to others. Here is the craigslist.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/3720911556.html

The retrofit wing seats are great, well built and installed, great how they fold in without taking them off. Also has homemade motormount that's better than the one I bought for a Hobie. Has running lights as well as mounts, also coolers built into the hulls surrounded by closed cell foam used to make the hulls unsinkable is just cool. Back cooler used for battery storage great becuase having it flopping around on the deck isn't cool.

But I've noticed that 5.8's seem to draw a little less money demand than others. Do you think it's worth it? Paint makes it look new but you can see from the one picture adding the filling sucked the sides of the hulls in in a couple places, tho it will not break because trust me doing that also made it very solid. The hulls are only about half filled, btw, not front to back. Standing rigging is brand new. Sails old but well cared for.

Also ik this topic is old but I decided to use it because it talks about righting, are these worse to right than the 5.7?

http://images.craigslist.org/3K33M43La5Ic5Ka5M8d43193adb0d22711221.jpg

BTW anyone in the south florida/keys area I'm selling my 2000 H17 sport. Will be a CL listing soon. It's a great boat just not what I want, I just got it recently, will probably regret not giving it a more of a chance.

Edited by biscaynecatsailor on Apr 11, 2013 - 10:23 AM.
  • $3k for a real nice one is in the ballpark.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Biscaynecatsailor,

I personally would not touch it. The owner doesn't know anything about this boat so don't trust anything he says. Here's some info that might help. First, from the ad you don't know if this is a 5.8 (19') or a early 6.0 (20') (which had the single diamonds on the mast). Next, it matters if it was built '85 or newer, which is foam core/sandwich construction. The expandable foam concerns me for oh so many reasons. The mast has a spin tang on it but the hulls (he calls keels) are not set up for a spin. There is little value in the sails, which add no value to the boat. The mast shows a lot of galvanic corrosion where hardware is mounted. Ports have been added forward of the main beam ( a huge no-no on this platform). The aluminum dolphin striker V-bar has been drilled and modified ( another major F.U.B.A.R.). The main beam has been drilled (at a know point of failure) for the retractable benches (wings), which concerns me. And that is just what I can make out from a bunch of grainy pictures.

$3000 will buy you a very nice boat. If you are looking for a late night party barge on the inter-coastal with running lights then this is your horse. Nowhere near a $3000 boat.

--
    Philip
    --
  • After taking a look at that listing, Do not touch it as Phillip suggested. My previous post was just about what a nice 5.8 is worth. This boat is far from that.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • You think the foam in the hulls could make it break up in the waves? I couldn't really imagine the large forward crossbar buckling due to the homemade wing seat addition but I understand concerns. What would you say this is worth and do you think it really does have a dangerously high chance of breaking up in ocean waves? I've broke the forestay twice on my 17 (in different places, had two sets of cables but neither were new), I like the boat but it's so small and sits so low in the water that I don't like it on the ocean even if the mast would stay up for once. Also the motor mount hits the water all the time unless you're heeling on one hull, also there's really no place to mount or even temporarily put the battery on it. Which really is needed to get throught causeways channels and bridges.

Also the hobies are so heavy of fiberglass with such a sharp hull that the waves really seem to beat them up because they're always trying to crash down and through the water instead of being on top of it. I noticed that the hulls on this nacra are very thin relatively, but seem solid, they are definitely not sandwhich type. It is a 5.8 99% sure pretty sure the sail said 5.8. If it means anything the mast has cable tensioners on the sides like a lot of the bigger boats have. I was gonna try to get it for 2800. But you think it's probably not worth much over 1000?

I've kind of given up on the hobies. I had the masthead rivets fail on a double pulley 16 due to the bubble in a capsize that wasn't even rough, the 16s pitchpole, the 17 sits too low, cables break, cables seem too long even though they measure out, they're too heavy, too slow, and too low capacity. The nacra seemed bettter. Upon my real life inspection it didn't look terribly scary. The guy who did the mods is aparantly an aircraft engineer. It's kind of back and forth and back with this boat. At first it looks good because it's been re gelcoed, then it looks a little scary when you look closer, but then in real life it seems okay again.

Edited by biscaynecatsailor on Apr 11, 2013 - 12:47 PM.
  • I wouldn't mess with any boat that has had the hulls filled with foam, period.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • Too much stiffness will make it break up? Shaking the whole boat as well as tapping it (only the parts around the tramp have the filling, the fronts are hollow) it feels more solid and stiff than most any hobie.
  • The problem with foam is that it will Absorb water. There is no question about that. This boat will gain serious weight over its lifetime.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • It's had the foam in it for quite some time. I believe it's similar to great stuff, not styrofoam, I don't think it would absorb water, I believe it's a closed cell type of foam.
  • Anyway if this boat doesn't happen where can I buy "heavier cables" for the 17 as I was told to do. Or do I have to make them myself at west marine or elsewhere? I want to be able to crash and bash through ocean waves, here's the big one, SIN QUE I sit with the knowledge that something is going to break for sure. Actually I was in the process of making some mods to the 17, double standing rigging I'll post pics wink
  • biscaynecatsailorIt's had the foam in it for quite some time. I believe it's similar to great stuff, not styrofoam, I don't think it would absorb water, I believe it's a closed cell type of foam.

Expandable foam in the hulls is bad, very bad.

Take the rest of the issues raised by Philip seriously, he knows the Nacra 5.8.

The Nacra 5.8 is a great boat, but maybe not that particular one.

If you could weigh the boat fully rigged I'm sure you would find it extremely overweight.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Well it was strapped to the trailer. I was almost certain I was going to get it, but thanks for realizing me of the gravity of these "modifications" maybe I will go look at it closer, unstrap it and see how heavy it "feels." From prior familiarity with closed cell building insulation, I really thought this stuff was not supossed to have moisture problems.
  • try Salty Dog Marine......

http://www.saltydogmarine.com/

or Murrays......

http://www.murrays.com/

In both cases, call them up and let them know you want to go with heavier standing rigging.

R
  • But is this not a good idea for the fact that it's best to have the cables as the weak point? I mean I certainly don't want the mount ripping out of the fiberglass or the tang to come off. The ocean is serious. and yesterday was only a 12-16 e'sou'easterly, maybe, maybe a rare gust of 20, and the boat was pretty rockin in the waves. But alas these are beach cats, meant for the ocean, right? It's just that going through the ~5 foot curlers where the outgoing tide met the wind waves at the channel mouth just didn't seem like any stiff non inflatable boat could be built with the intention of handling that.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.