Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Advice on Sail Boat Purchase  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Heck, if you have free use of the Optimist, use it. The fact is, as you learn you will flip the boat a few times. The little monos are easy to get back up, & you can learn most of what you need to know in a stable safe environment. When you do make the inevitable beginner mistakes, the $$ won't be much. Those Getaways will still be around next season.
    Then if you decide you want the thrill of taking all 4 people out & ripping at speeds not imaginable on the Opti, go for the Cat.

Edited by Edchris177 on Nov 09, 2010 - 04:39 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I definitely agree with EC here. Learn to sail on what you have. The optimist is a nice small boat and isn't overpowered. Cats have some peculiarities to them compared to mono hulls but you can pick up 90%+ of what you need to know sailing a mono. Putting 4 people on an H16 isn't impossible but I wouldn't recommend it, you have to move alot on that boat and you will likely end up tipping it more than you would like.

The more you describe your situation the more the Getaway makes sense to me. It's a nice relatively big boat with lots of floatation and room for 4-5 people. It's very stable compared to many of the more performance oriented cats (and much more stable than any non-keeled monohull). The hulls are rotomolded plastic which is extremely tough and durable (fiberglass - not so much). The sail area isn't overwhelming so you can cruise around with the kids and you can get bigger custom sails if you get bored. The wings make is extremely comfortable with the wing seats/back rests (my knees really take a beating on my Nacra). And although you won't be winning any races against the H16s of the world it is still faster than just about any monohull of comparable size. I think that Hobie does make a motor mount, if not there are a number of manufacturers that make universal mounts and a few guys here that can help you with plans if you are handy enough to make one yourself.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • icon_biggrin

Edited by turbohobo on Nov 10, 2010 - 07:51 PM.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • icon_mad

Edited by turbohobo on Nov 10, 2010 - 07:51 PM.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • edwardsoneI have a Optimist Type (cement box type hull) 9' long, 4' wide Wooden Sail Boat. It has two sails. I have had a "reefer" put in one of them. It has a center board that tilts up. It also has shrouds, forestay and backstay. This boat was made by a friend some 50 years ago. What is the thinking as to using this as my first boat (training on) as opposed to purchasing a Hobie Wave or Getaway as my first boat? I am indecisive as to the Wave or Getaway thus putting off the decision makes some since if the exsisting Optimist Type will work for traning purpose?

Sounds good if the boat is complete and seaworthy, if you are at the "sailing for dummies" stage the first thing is to get out there. If you have anyone who knows how to sail that can go with you it will vastly shorten your learning curve. It's not difficult, but many things aren't obvious.

QuoteThe Optimist Type does not have a drain plug in the bottom. My thinking is to install one so the boat will not collect water? I then can leave the boat in tact up on the shore relative to the ease of "going sailing" (not have to rig it each time). Any thoughts on this?

Is the boat so big you can't just dump the water out of it? This boat has gone 50 years without a drain, sounds like it doesn't need one, just something else to leak or forget to do before you launch.
    I have an Old Evinude 3 HP Outboard that has the gas tank in the head of the motor. Will this work on the Hobie Wave or Getaway. If I keep the Hobie in the harbor, I am thinking it would be good to use the Outboard to get out to open water?

Don't do this right away, carry a paddle or two and don't get too far from home, after a season you can decide if an outboard makes sense. Usually outboards are only carried on beachcats when there is know other choice, like having to launch from the back of a crowded marina where there is no chance of sailing in and out.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • edwardsoneI plan to use the boat on the back side of Ocracoke Island, North Carolina where we reside. Use would be in a salt water environment in "shoaly water", say 1' to 20' (channels and shoaly water). The boat would be moored in Silver Lake Harbor (on the shore) or the back side of our Island (on the shore of the Pamlico Sound)?

Ok, when I first read this I didn't realize exactly where you were located. You Must Start Sailing, you live in an area like most of us daydream about. Do it for the landlocked sailors, do it for your grand kids, just do it. jump
    http://content.screencast.com/users/damon18/folders/Jing/media/b1bd2b54-3026-4c41-bf0e-b1a9e9c987a9/Ocracoke.png

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I've been vaguely following this thread with a few ideas running around my head. At first my thoughts were a beach cat is a bit lively and on the edge to learn sailing while teaching the grandkids. Seeing as you are on the ocean my first thought was look for an F-24, F-27 or maybe the newer F-22 design. I love the Farrier tris and it seems like nice way to bring people along and not get boring (unless you're my kids). But, the price, even used, is beyond what you can get a well outfitted beachcat for. I don't know your price range. Then Yesterday I saw another note in another file and it made me think of this thread, a Weta. Not boring, light and easy to set up, stable and fast. it struck me as a good solution.

Oh, the optimist thing, maybe for the kids, but not an adult. When was the last time you got on a small boat like that? I know Sunfish are a lot smaller and unstable than when I was just a kid. I found an optimist cramped when I was 12.

Look into a Weta, it might be the solution you're looking for.
  • maybe renting a cat for a day,or enlist a guide for a lesson& general whats up.
  • When we lived in Hampton, VA, I would drive down to the Outer Banks hunting for surf, had many good waves at Rodanthe, Waves and Salvo, met a couple of Auzzies running a superb restaurant at the pier at Rodanthe. We would take HWY 12 down to Hatteras and hop on the car ferry over to Ocracoke. From Ocracoke one had the choice to take a ferry to either Cedar Island or to Swanquarter, never did take that either of those ferry's, regret it now. I always was amazed at the people living on the Outer Banks, hardy bunch, if a tsunami just 10 feet high swept in on the East Coast, it would carry over most of those sand dunes no problem, and then of course there are the hurricanes.

But when the weather was good, what an awesome place to live for a waterman, sailing, surfing, diving, snorkling, fishing, more sailing....

resilient bunch, hmmm... denk

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Without a doubt, the Hobie Getaway. Very family oriented boat, easy to set up and super durable. Get a set of Cat Trax and you can drag it up and down the beach with just two people. Plenty of them for sale on the internet. Google "Hobie Getaway for sale" or just look in the classifieds of sites like this one or the Hobie forum. Would recommend taking a few lessons from someone with experience before you venture out on your own. You live in great location and your family will absolutely love it.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.