Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Advice on Sail Boat Purchase  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• 11/7/10

I (age 62 and in good health) want to purchase a boat that I can use with my wife (age 61 in good health) and another couple or my two grand kids ages 4 and 6. I have no experience at sailing (currently reading "Sailing for Dummies") and want to learn so as to share the experierce with my grand children. I am an Avid Power Boat Person (up to 24' outboard). I plan to use the boat on the back side of Ocracoke Island, North Carolina where we reside. Use would be in a salt water environment in "shoaly water", say 1' to 20' (channels and shoaly water). The boat would be moored in Silver Lake Harbor (on the shore) or the back side of our Island (on the shore of the Pamlico Sound)?

Reccomendations are appreciated as well as "a source for the purchase of a used boat"?
  • HI Edward, welcome to sailing and welcome to thebeachcats.com, your source for all sailing questions.

It is my experience that people are in 'love' with the idea of sailing, for many different reasons, perhaps it is the sense of freedom that sailing promotes, I don't know. I can tell you this, there are 2 types of sailing, leisurely sailing and extreme sailing. you have to decide which one suits you. Leisurely sailing entails walking down to the dock with an icebox full of goodies, hopping aboard your monohull with the family, starting the motor up, putter out into the deep water, and raising sail for a nice leisurely day of cruising around the bay. Extreme sailing entails all sorts of safety gear, hauling your catamaran down to the water, setting up, checking wind direction, wind speed, sailing out to deep water and screaming across the bay as fast as you can go.

Your decision would take into consideration many factors that I'm sure other sailors here will fill in, geographical location, access to water, physical fitness, health and of course you need for 'thrill factor'. Monohulls are much slower than multihulls but have the benefit of a weighted keel to compensate for the push on the sail, not to mention some have a galley, head, sleeping births, etc, depending on length. Multihulls have a tramp stretched between 2 (or more) hulls and one sits on the tramp, to compensate for push on the sail, you use your body weight out on a trapeze wire, requires physical exertion most of the time sailing, cramped sitting position and very little clearance between boom and head. But the thrill factor is intense, nothing like zipping across the water, trapped out on the side of your catamaran, doing about 15-20 mph.

There are many other factors not mentioned in above post, too many for me to include, but I'll leave that up to other sailors. I know that all the forthcoming info will help you make an educated decision based on your personal circumstances. A good source for used sailboats is craigslist, use www.searchtempest.com to search all of the CL database, as well as this website for multihulls.

Happy Sailing
    Turbo

nospam

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • welcome edwardsone!

sail power saves lots of gas money! no dead batteries, gummed up carbs, mechanics bills etc.. your fist step will be to find your local scene and meet some folks and let them take you sailing. your learning curve is shorter with someone teaching you the"ropes". take a little time to identify your preferences before you buy...and don't be afraid to ask ?'s!

good luck!....einstein loved sailing...free energy!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Welcome, if you are looking for a cat I would suggest looking into the Hobie Getaway or Wave. Both sound like they would meet your needs right off the hop with the Getaway providing room enough for 4-6 people. The Classified adds here are a good place to find a used boat.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Quoteome have a galley, head, sleeping births, etc,

Of course we recommend you go to the hospital for this

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Edward,

Welcome to the site and to sailing.

Please tell a little more about where you are sailing, you mentioned keeping the boat on a mooring. Beachcats by their nature are designed to sail "off the beach" and more difficult to deal with when the only access to them is a dock, and most will not take well to staying in the water on a mooring all the time.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I am hoping to be able to "pull it up on the beach" as to a mooring? There are a couple of possibilities; one beach (sandy) is in the protected harbor, the other is a sandy beach on the Pamlico Sound (back side of the island) that is not protected.

Thanks for the effort!
  • I have a getaway and love it but that being said I am looking for a more performance oriented boat to sail without my wife and daughter. I think the Getaway would suit you fine.
  • Are you interested in selling the Getaway? If so, where are you located? Thanks for the response!
  • Hi edwardsone,

There is a guy in Duck, NC that has some used Waves and Getaways for sale. He has an ad on the Hobie forum:

http://www.hobiecat.com/f…iewtopic.php?f=7&t=32519

There is also a Hobie dealer in Nags Head. They sometimes have used boats on hand.
    http://www.kittyhawkwatersports.com

Dave W
    Tampa, FL

Edited by DaveW70 on Nov 08, 2010 - 11:02 AM.

--
    Dave Wilson
    Hobie 16, Hobie 14
    Tampa, FL
    --
  • edwardsoneAre you interested in selling the Getaway? If so, where are you located? Thanks for the response!

Nah I love it too much. The guy Dave W70 is talking about has some really good prices on the used Getaways that already have the wings installed. I would recommend giving him a shout if you are anywhere within 750 miles of him. As long as they are in good shape you could keep it for a while and sell it if you didnt like it and recoup most if not all of your money. They really hold their value well. Good luck. icon_biggrin
  • 11/8/10

What are the primary differences (up-side and down-side) relative to pruchasing a 1983 - Hobie 16 relative to a newer say 2009 Model Wave given my situation (age 62, novice, two grand kids etc.)? I think the Hobie 16 has a Jib Sail also?
  • The H16 is constructed with fibreglass hulls and will only carry 2 adults, sails better with 1, the Wave has rotomolded plastic high volume hulls, more durable, and will carry 2 adults, 2 kids no problem. Your better option if you go with a beachcat, would be the Getaway, rotomolded hulls, front tramp, wings, jib sail. Does require a higher level of skill to sail though.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • the h16 is a much higher performance boat than a wave
    the h16 requires more time to rig, has a taller (and heavier) mast to step
    the h16 will not facilitate 4 people
    the h16 does have a large overlapping jib (that can be a bit of a pain)

the wave is a 1 person boat (2max), not for 2 adults + 2 kids (and no jib unless you get the upgrade, but i hear it doesnt work to well)

the getaway seems like the correct fit for your needs, front tramp for kids, wings for comfort, semi decent performance, close to indestructible body for crashing into rocks and beaches, furling jib incase the winds get to much... etc. you can always sell it and upgrade next season

Edited by MN3 on Nov 08, 2010 - 09:05 AM.
  • My first thought was also a Hobie Getaway when I read your initial post. I think the wave will be to small for what you want, and a H16 may be a little to much boat for a novice to take his grandchildren out on.

The Getaway was designed to do exactly what you are looking for. A good performing, durable recreational boat for a family to enjoy. Get one with the wings and front tramp and you (and your family) will have yourselves a great time.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • QuoteMy first thought was also a Hobie Getaway when I read your initial post. I think the wave will be to small for what you want.

--
    Scott, H18M in Chicago
    --

Edwardsone, I agree with Scott. I was in your position, deciding on the correct boat for myself, and posted my thoughts and questions here last winter. Scott and others were very helpful. I bought a Wave. Good choice for me alone or with one person (with enough wind), easy to rig, and a great boat to learn on, however, not good for four people. From what I have heard, a Getaway is the right size for four.

Keep asking questions as you learn more about sailboats and the sailors on this website will help provide their knowledge. They are great!!

--
    Bonnie

Nacra SL 16
    Hobie Wave
    --
  • I have a Optimist Type (cement box type hull) 9' long, 4' wide Wooden Sail Boat. It has two sails. I have had a "reefer" put in one of them. It has a center board that tilts up. It also has shrouds, forestay and backstay. This boat was made by a friend some 50 years ago. What is the thinking as to using this as my first boat (training on) as opposed to purchasing a Hobie Wave or Getaway as my first boat? I am indecisive as to the Wave or Getaway thus putting off the decision makes some since if the exsisting Optimist Type will work for traning purpose?

The Optimist Type does not have a drain plug in the bottom. My thinking is to install one so the boat will not collect water? I then can leave the boat in tact up on the shore relative to the ease of "going sailing" (not have to rig it each time). Any thoughts on this?

I have an Old Evinude 3 HP Outboard that has the gas tank in the head of the motor. Will this work on the Hobie Wave or Getaway. If I keep the Hobie in the harbor, I am thinking it would be good to use the Outboard to get out to open water?
  • I still think once you learn to sail that the Getaway would be a great boat for you. I see people trying to put 4 people on H16's and it just isn't a good fit. I suppose you could go up to a H18 or Narcra 5.8 or P18, but that is a lot more boat. Heavier, more complex, but also faster. But compared to the monohull you are looking at sailing, the Getaway will likely feel like a rocket ship. If you are torn between the wave and Getaway, I think you and two grand kids will soon outgrow a Wave. The wave is a good 1 person boat and can work with 2, but more then that you won't be moving much.

With the furling jib the Getaway could go from sitting on the beach to rigged and ready to sail in under 10 minutes if you wanted. Just need to get the main out, raise the main and push into the water. I think they make a motor mount for the Getaway.

Where I sail there are a lot of Getaways on the beach. It really seems to be the boat of choice for family oriented sailing where I am. Probably about tied for the most with H16's. We do have about about 200 cats stored on the beach, with probably 1/3 H16's, 1/3 Getaways, 1/3 other.

A Getaway is not a peformance race boat compared to some other beach cats, but I don't think you are looking to for that. It sounds like you are looking for a good recreational sailboat, which is exactly what the Getaway is. The Getaway may not be a race boat, but will likely be faster then all the monohulls you will see on the water.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • As for learning to sail on the Getaway I think you would be fine. I had never step foot on a sailboat and picked it up quickly on the Getaway when I purchased it. As for the motor I am buying a Suzuki 2.5 for the back of mine and having a guy from the Hobie forums build me a mount for it. The mounts are not cheap but they are stainless and worth it if you ask me. I dont like the idea of being stranded out with a 3yo on board. Cheatah makes a mount that is a little cheaper but it isnt stainless. Go ahead and splurge for the Getaway, I assure you if you are not looking to be flying a hull all the time you will not be dissapointed on the purchase.
  • sail the optimist now for sure, you can't appreciate how fast the cats are unless you do some mono time...get comfortable with sailing on it and the step up to cats isn't as hard. the cats are a little tricky to tack compared to monos but asside from the big speed difference, the concepts are the same.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.