Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Jib install on Prindle 16  Bottom

• i recently bought a Prindle 16 with a jib that has the wire running thru it (wire luff i believe it is). not the one you zip up, when we raise the jib and get it into place there is not much space for downhaul and i am unsure on the way to attach it at the bottom where the forestay and bridle are connected. what is the best way to do this?
    thanks
  • Jib - Attached to the mast horn is a short pigtail called the upper forestay - about 12 inches long. It is connected to a jib halyard block and then the remaining lower forestay is attached to the other end. This attaches to the bridle wires through an adjuster. Within the center of the jib halyard block is a sheave (metal or synthetic) which the jib block wire rides around. One end of the wire attaches to the top of the sail and the other end attaches to a sheet which wraps around a cheek block at the base of the mast, through a down haul block and then to a cleat on the mast.

Hope i helped.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • You don't downhaul the wire luff jib. Attach the tack on a lower hole in bridle chain plate. Raise jib (be sure to run halyard thru built in block in halyard to get 3:1 for final pull). Original forestay now goes limp against sail. Pete
  • pbegleYou don't downhaul the wire luff jib. Attach the tack on a lower hole in bridle chain plate. Raise jib (be sure to run halyard thru built in block in halyard to get 3:1 for final pull). Original forestay now goes limp against sail. Pete

Some of the older prindle's have downhaul..
    a couple at my club do.

edited by: TylerH, Aug 20, 2010 - 04:55 PM

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • thanks tyler,
    i guess what i am unsure about is, we raise it and get the S hook locked onto the ring...then attach the bottom to a shackle that is going thru where the bridles and forestay are hooked together with a different shackle. once we do that there isn't a whole lot of space inbetwen jib and bridle for down haul.the lines to control it has been easy to figure out it just looks rigged by the way i have the shackles on the bottom
  • No problem.
    Well, if it works, it works...
    if not, dont bother rigging the downhaul.

The prindle's at my club use a VERY short dynema line,
    then tie that to the shackle, and baaaam...it works.

edited by: TylerH, Aug 20, 2010 - 05:00 PM

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • ok, that's what we've been doing but i wanted to make sure...where's a good place to get replacement quick release pins for the boom attachment to the mast?
    thanks again
  • Check this,
    http://www.reidsupply.com/GrpResults.aspx?pid=10021966&aitm=SMP-483&apid=10021966&bi=

They can be pretty expensive.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • pbegleYou don't downhaul the wire luff jib. Attach the tack on a lower hole in bridle chain plate. Raise jib (be sure to run halyard thru built in block in halyard to get 3:1 for final pull). Original forestay now goes limp against sail. Pete

so you use the wire in jib in place and tighter than the forestay? not following the (be sure to run thru built in block in halyard to get 3:1 for final pull?
    sorry, i am new to prindles and i haven't had a hobie in close to 20 years
  • trimantrekokc
    pbegleYou don't downhaul the wire luff jib. Attach the tack on a lower hole in bridle chain plate. Raise jib (be sure to run halyard thru built in block in halyard to get 3:1 for final pull). Original forestay now goes limp against sail. Pete

so you use the wire in jib in place and tighter than the forestay? not following the (be sure to run thru built in block in halyard to get 3:1 for final pull?
    sorry, i am new to prindles and i haven't had a hobie in close to 20 years

Yeah, he is correct...
    but like i said, only SOME prindle's have downhaul.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • Only Prindles that have jib downhaul are ZIPPER luff jibs (post '79). On the wire luff jib, there is a sheave In the halyard line ( exactly like H-16 ). Run end of halyard thru sheave, down to cheek block on mast, pull hard & cleat off. Pete
  • There seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there on how to rig Prindles. I just bought an older P16 myself and still figuring out the proper rigging. I thought I was missing a turnbuckle on the forestay but after reading this post and rigging the jib, I now see that my zipper-luff jib tensions the mast once downhauled. It seems mine is a combination of the above-mentioned designs: a zipper jib and a jib halyard with a block up top. Does the jib halyard just get cleated at the base of the mast?

Jason

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    Lake St Francis (St Lawrence River)
    Lancaster, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • how do i post a pic of the rigging i have?
  • trimantrekokchow do i post a pic of the rigging i have?

never mind...i found out what i needed to know..apparently i hav enewer rigging with older sails....when i get new sails they will come in as zipper luff and it seems it won't be a problem.

thanks for all info provided
  • If you have a hook and ring you have a Zipper luff jib setup no a wire luff Jib. For this I have a short down haul tied to the tack grommet. Once the ring is set I feed that down through the bridle or shackle holding the bridles then back up through the grommet again and back down around and up again then there is a small plastic cleat on my bottom of my sail that I cleat it on. The cleat looks like it would come out pretty easy but mine has not come out doing it this way yet.

Mine is an 82 and a P18 and I have never seen the wire luff kind but it does sound like Kasper and trimantrekokc have a pieced together system that may have parts from both types.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Kasper, my understanding on the zipper luff is that you feed the jib halyard thru the zipper and it is a 2 piece halyard with a quick detach for about a 15' or so piece that you then put in the puch on the tramp and tie off the other to the bridal
  • No, you do not tie other end to bridle; it lies limp inside zipper. With a short piece of line attached to tack of jib, go around bridle & up to cleat on jib. Pete
  • pete, thanks for clarifying!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.