Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Jib Replacement?  Bottom

• So just finished a great day on the lake and then ruined it by having the zip on my jib come apart (the zipper itself not the tracks) - in pieces.

So now I either have to get the zipper replaced (I heard around $100 anyone any ideas? Or buy a used sale....I have found a couple that are a little bigger, wondering if it would work.

My jib -
    Luff - 186 inches
    Leech - 178 inches
    Foot - 71 inches

Used option A
    Luff - 199 inches
    Leech - 171.5 inches
    Foot - 77.5 inches

Option B
    Luff - 184 inches
    Leech - 192.5 inches
    Foot - 72.5 inches

Anyone see any issues with replacing with a larger sail? The only issues I can think of are a) does the luff allow full raising of the sail (wish I had measured the gap between top of jib and forestay/mast attachment before I left the lake today), b) larger foot may get caught up during tacking?

Any thoughts? I would assume that option B above would be a closer fit as the luff is closer to the jib luff I have now.

Appreciate any input.

Thanks,
    David
    NACRA 5.0

• Not sure if your set on getting a different Jib, but I sent my sails into Sailcare to have several things done. One of which was to replace my zipper. I too thought they'd have to replace the entire zipper and was qouted around $100. But they just replaced the zipper car, or whatever its called for $11. And while it was jumping off the track before, with the new "zipper car" it zips like new now. Anyways, something to look into incase your interested.
    Cheers,
  • You didn't mention the condition of your current jib. Zippers are easy to replace or even repair as Mike said.

When you look at used jibs realize you can get a brand new one for $250-350 from Whirlwind Sails
    http://whirlwindsails.com/contact.htm

give them a call about repairing your jib or get a replacement, sometimes they have used sails in stock also.

But do yourself a favor and get a jib that is correct to your boat, you can't go by measurements to much on cats since the sheeting angles are so specific.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Damon - thanks for the advice about the measurements aspect - did not realize the sheeting angles would impact that.

My jib is pretty shot - so maybe a new one would be in order ( icon_smile ) good excuse.

Thanks,
    David
    NACRA 5.0
  • Dave,
    I second the vote for Whirlwind Sails. Chip is da man! A new crispy jib is a joyous thing indeed.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I got my jib zipper replaced for 100 dollars. I wish I would have bought a new one for 250 at whirlwind.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Wanted to provide an update. After looking at a new jib (and main of course as I was going to spend the money) - I decided to send both Jib and Main to Sailcare to get refurbed and repaired.

Just got them back yesterday - all the rust stains gone, new grommets, new batten protectors, sail repaired (new luff rope etc, tack repaired) and re-resined - so crispy and able to hold shape. Now these sails are from 1983 so I was not expecting miracles - but they look and feel a couple of years old.

Needles to say I wanted some new sails, but also wanted the Pentex squareheads (if you are going to buy then buy what you want, right?) Could not afford them, so decided to put that off and refurb what I had.

Worked out really well.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.