Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Adding Floatation to a NACRA  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Does anyone know of a good way to add floatation to a NACRA? Got a big hole in my starboard hull on the 4th of July a couple of miles offshore in the gulf we made it back in ok but that hull was underwater the hole way back. Its got me thinking if I hit something that breeches both hulls that boat will likely sink entirely. Its a 1990 Nacra 5.5sl Edited so Andrew Scott thinks Im cool! lol!!!

edited by: fa1321, Jul 07, 2010 - 02:14 PM
  • A 1990 5.5SL "SHOULD" have flotation in it like these:
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=18403&g2_serialNumber=6&g2_GALLERYSID=eb64bac26aa3193fab5f0c44391e7ef8

--
    Philip
    --
  • I have not opened it up yet but are you saying this should be installed already?
  • pontoons are for pontoon boats.

hulls are for cool people :)
  • HMMMM? Yeah, I got no responce to that one Andrew stay cool I guess.
  • hahah.. thanks for the edit.

edited by: andrewscott, Jul 07, 2010 - 04:01 PM
  • Checked my boat there is not any floatation in the hulls. Any suggestions on what I can add for floatation that will fit thru a 4" inspection port? I though maybe those pool noodles or something like that.
  • Whatever you do--DON'T fill the hulls with foam! The foam will retain water and destroy your hulls from the weight.

Noodles are good and light--and won't make any noise clunking around. If you could get some bladder in there you can inflate, that would be good, too. Air is the best floatation.

You can get packing material that is really just air packets. That would work, too, but I don't know the durability of the plastic.

There has been a lot of joking about filling the hulls with ping pong balls, but that isn't a reality. I just get a kick out of envisioning the slick of pingpong balls it would make if the hulls crack in half!

packing peanuts would be just as bad!
  • We put two 15" beach balls into each hull.

• andrewscottpontoons are for pontoon boats.

HA....the pontoon word drives me crazy
  • Oh yeah, what about small mooring balls or boat fenders?
  • u would need a bunch of fenders .. they would add to much weight (IMHO)

I would think beach balls would deflate quickly in my climate

unless you (or your crew) enjoy blowing up things in your hulls ... icon_eek
  • andrewscottpontoons are for pontoon boats.

I must admit.. .i left my cat on anchor last sat and went out for over an hour ride on my friends pontoon boat (he also has a 6.0 mystere) and it was great.
  • andrewscottu would need a bunch of fenders .. they would add to much weight (IMHO)

Yes it would...maybe someone needs to come up with one of those self inflating devices? icon_lol a hydrostatic release so if the boat goes down a few feet it activates and floats back up!!! Thats how some life rafts activate on ships.

As for pontoon boats I often looked at them and would say if I were to get a petro chugging, BP mess making boat it would either be a pontoon boat or one of those Chris Craft style wooden boats $$$$

• Whatever I use would need to fit thru a 4" inspection port.
  • I like the pool noodle idea. $1 each at Walmart. no issue with fit, and easy to replace after a season to keep things from getting "icky".
  • http://sanantonio.craigsl….org/boa/1887500937.html

Ha! Craigslist has everything I guess...but Walmart is cheaper :)

edited by: turtlecat, Aug 10, 2010 - 07:43 PM
  • craigslist is pretty awesome but Im in Houston.
  • yep. I was thinking of air bladders (actually what I was looking for on the net) but after thinking about it, if its a catastrophic event, whats to keep the bladder from being puntured as well? The noodle seems like a safe, cheap solution.
  • Btw, last I saw you just had a pinhole leak left. All good now?

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.