Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What about installing winch and cleat for main sheet..... Hobie 18  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Damon it sounds like TN has got quite the sailing scene. im jealous.

Quotegot out there a few miles~~ the line broke, and it was good line

what size rope?

edited by: Kevin219, Sep 04, 2010 - 10:39 AM

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • I find that the segmented ring with a twist shackle works perfectly, Never had a problem once I figured out how to use it- Rope/knot ties to the smaller segment (smaller area in the circle). The knot type makes little difference with this ring. Raise it with the larger segment on the Right side of the mast going up (knot on left). It'll hook every time with the mast strait back or close to it. To lower, raise with the mast strait back then turn base to Right. The wind is a factor to some degree. It always works (agian, once I figured it out with lots of binocular time!) I love the system.

--
    H18, H17, P19, Glastron GT-150 (Bond jump boat)
    --
  • QuoteWe even used to have the "Dead Elvis Regatta" with the start at moon-rise in August. Good Times.

did you have to worry about navigation lights?

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Kevin219
    QuoteWe even used to have the "Dead Elvis Regatta" with the start at moon-rise in August. Good Times.

We didn't, but remember this is not a really large or busy lake (especially at night) and with the full moon on a clear night you can see clearly.

Sometimes we've used red and green glow sticks taped to the shrouds, but not every time.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • we had an orange glow stick icon_biggrin red and green though thats good thinking. my lake is deserted at that hour anyway

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • damonAdmin
    Kevin219
    QuoteWe even used to have the "Dead Elvis Regatta" with the start at moon-rise in August. Good Times.

We didn't, but remember this is not a really large or busy lake (especially at night) and with the full moon on a clear night you can see clearly.

Sometimes we've used red and green glow sticks taped to the shrouds, but not every time.

coast guard regs don't require nav lights on non powered vessels under 21'.

BUT it is a bit dangerous to "drive without headlights on at night" esp if your where a power boat may go. some power boaters fly at night relying on their radar...

when i find myself out after sunset....
    What i do is wear a very bright led headlamp, upside down on my head, light shining up at my sails for others to see me.

I also recently found some good led red and green battery powered glowsticks (from publix supermarket of all places). Walmart sells a crappy one as well. I hang these off my side stay chain plates below the deck line.

regular glowsticks have a very limited range (you can only see them under 60' but the power ones can be seen for a few 100'.

the most important thing to keep in mind is DON"'T LOOK AT THE LIGHTS. it will kill your night vision.
  • Quotecoast guard regs don't require nav lights on non powered vessels under 21'.

i read in a book otherwise but your right drew thanks

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Kevin219
    Quotecoast guard regs don't require nav lights on non powered vessels under 21'.

i read in a book otherwise but your right drew thanks

I forgot to mention, by cg rules you ARE required to have a torch (flashlight)

INTERNATIONAL
    Lights and Shapes
    RULE 25?CONTINUED
    (d)
    (i) A sailing vessel of less than 7 meters in length shall, if practicable,
    exhibit the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) or (b) of this Rule, but if
    she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted
    lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time
    to prevent collision.

Page 84
    http://www.navcen.uscg.go…Rules%28Corrected%29.pdf

PS there could be local laws that require running lights (i think)_
  • Quoteshe shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted
    lantern showing a white light

i think im going to go with the propane lantern icon_biggrin

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • A flashlight attached to the mast and pointed on/up the sail also does a good job of making you more visible at night also. I like the idea of the headlight pointed up too. All my night sailing has been small lakes and full moons, and we haven't seen powerboats.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Scott when are we going to start our own regatta?

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Quote(i) A sailing vessel of less than 7 meters in length shall, if practicable,...

Several decades ago I did a stint with my old company as a check airman, A authority. That was to retest & certify pilots on our jets during their annual matrix. Part of getting the A authority was to attend a course put on by the Feds from the aviation branch of Transport. One module was legalese, not what you might think a word, phrase or sentence meant, but what the lawyers would pound you with if it ever came to a board of inquiry, generally after an accident. The most commonly misunderstood weasel words are, in no particular order; should,shall, will, must, recommended, good airmanship dictates, practicable & practical.
    In the reg quoted above they use the word practicable, as opposed to practical. They are two totally different words. In essence, practicable means "if physically able".
    So, if forced to defend your actions after an accident,(even though said accident was caused by a powerboater running full blast WITHOUT lights)you may very well expect to be asked, "would it have been physically possible to attach some sort of light to your shrouds?"
    You may answer, "well yes, but not really practical".
    Bingo, you just became 50% at fault, & if you have more money than the other guy, expect them to try & find you much more at fault.
    I was once required to attend a board hearing into the case of a pilot who took off from an isolated snow covered field, (in the NWT of Canada)with a full moon, in -33 weather, but non functioning runway lights. His defense was pretty good, his passengers were in danger due to the elements, & the conditions were such that any hazards could easily be seen & therefore he exhibited good airmanship & his actions were prudent.
    Tough titty for the kitty... he was found to have contravened an air reg regarding the requirement for runway lights after the end of civil twilight, fined & subject to the suspension of license.
    Now I'm not saying the guys on a small lake that never see a boat, or anyone else must or shall attach lights, do as you see fit. I'm just saying as in sex, protect yourself. It's all about risk management.

edited by: Edchris177, Sep 10, 2010 - 01:44 PM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • QuoteScott when are we going to start our own regatta?

Not so sure about night regattas on Lake Michigan..... Kevin, I keep my boat in Wilmette. Haven't seen a Cat regatta there yet, but lots of boats to sail around with on our beach. Where are you located?

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I'm in st. john, and i trailer my boat to Gary. there is a "small sailboat only" ramp. there is also the perfect definition of this website at the dunes here. about 100 catamarans pulled up on the beach. but usually 2-3 cats out tops over a lot of water. are there any good ramps on the north side?

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.