Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Decal removeal  Bottom

• I am wet sanding and buffing my nacra hulls. Any advice on decal removal?

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Unfortunatley most chemical solutions could potentially remove your gelcoat also.

You can try a hair dryer to soften the adhesive (DON'T USE A HEAT GUN, it could remove your gelcoat) and scrape with a plastic scraper (not metal). Then just remove the adhesive with a scotchbrite pad and detergent.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Dave where would i be w/o your help.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Acetone works good on the decals, even hard brittle aged decals. Don't ask me how I know . . . and it won't hurt the gelcoat.

--
    Philip
    --
  • acetone, is the way to go

but if you can skillfully handle a bare razor/skill knife type blade that should also do the trick at about 20degrees angle

with any petrol chemical, kero, gasoline to clean up the glue residue
  • When I re-did my cats, (and I've done many) either for sale, other people or my own "TOYS".... I used a hair-blower to help soften the glue in front of the razor. Just go slow with a steady push and use a razor thats "NOT" to sharp, and use one with a handle...... Acetone afterwards to get the rest of the glue off, a scrubbie will help first, then a "WHITE" clean rag. Colored rag will or could bleed. Acetone is also good to help take stains out...
    Looks like 4 of us has already been there !! Good luck and keep us informed.......

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • i had MUCH decals on my hulls, i mean big stripes, on 30 something year old hulls. they were real brittle and stubborn. the regular "hot" solvents were working but very slow. since i was painting my hulls, i tried a citrus based paint stripper(citrus strip-walmart). painted on a coat waited 20 minutes, painted on another coat waited 15 minutes, all decals and glue came off in whole pieces. cleaned up residew w/ acetone. didn't seem to affect my gelcoat at all(one hull was white,one yellow). the gelcoat under the graphics will be shiney. this may be a last resort thing to try(small, inconspicous spot first). i have photos in my members album titled "prindle 16 hull paint and repair"

edited by: coastrat, Jun 23, 2010 - 07:28 AM

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • I cannot recommend any higher the 3m pinstripe removal wheel. I have taken pinstripes off of 3 cats now. the first two H16s using acetone, heat guns, razor blades, chemicals and brute force. For the H21 I paid $42 for the 3m pinstripe removal wheel.

H16= more hours than I can remember....3hrs per hull, probably more? Plus it was just about falling off anyway.

H21 which had twice as much pin striping width wise and another 5 feet plus overlapping design: 1 hr for entire boat....

All you need is an electric drill (battery will wear out too fast).

Also with the wheel you dont run the risk of damaging the gelcoat, the wheel doesn't get too hot and its basically an eraser.

• Thanks, one thing I had to raise an eyebrow to is a razor blade.You can screw up in 1 minute what will take hours to fix.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • I guess, but I work with razor blades everyday. you can get a feel for it so you don't do any damage. I do agree most won't want to risk it.
  • Okay so I have got the decals off, Hair dryer, goo off, and a plastic scraper. Use alcohol to clean up. Worked great.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • So I got my decals off but it looks like I've had some bleed-through (for lack of a better word). I don't care sooo much but I'm wondering if there is anything (within reason) I can do about this? Thanks!
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4079/4974058284_b4d52b8bdd_b.jpg
  • ~~ Try some of things mentioned above... Acetone, Alchol, ETC....... If that doesn't work try 800-1000 grit wetsandpaper--- do a small spot to see if it works, if not ya might wanna wait and have the sun fade it... sail yer boat around in circles so the sun can get both sides!!! If ya belive that one I'll tell ya another... Good luck!!! icon_wink

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • popeyez7[snip] if not ya might wanna wait and have the sun fade it... sail yer boat around in circles so the sun can get both sides!!! If ya belive that one I'll tell ya another... Good luck!!! icon_wink

HEY I sail in a lake so that might just work ;)
    Thanks.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.