Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What about installing winch and cleat for main sheet..... Hobie 18  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Raising and lowering the main sail is a pain in the butt !!!
    If there was a winch reefing the sail may be possible AND you could lower the sail in the water. Has anyone had any experience with this ?????
  • Interesting idea, you would have to put grommets in the luff of the sail to tie it down to "soemthing" when you reef it. You would also need a very strong halyard that would not stretch.

What are yo having trouble with?

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • it shouldnt be that hard. i would check:
    battens aren't over tight
    mast track is cleaned and lubed
    there are no pinches in the mast track
    the bolt rope hasn't swollen up
    the halyard is as thin as possible
    the cheave inside the halyard block is in good shape. at the top at the mast and if there is one on the bottom as well
  • i got my main running smooth although that hook at the top is a mother. i drilled and tapped my mast near the foot installed a cleat and am now tieing it off the main halyard every time. its simple, painless, and dont see why hobie never went with it in the first place

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Lets see...... maybe because he did think of it.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • well his i think is the inferior

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • If raising and lowering is that bad something is binding and a winch would likely allow you to bind badly and wreck your sail, the halyard or the track. They don't always go up entirely smoothly but it sounds like your setup isn't working right. Also if the boat isn't facing direcly into the with the bolt rope is sure to bind a few times while raising. I regularly spray my bolt rope with silicon spray and that seems to help alot.

On easy option would be to rig up a block on the halyard and a cheek block on the mast and make up a 2 or 3:1 purchase system. Of course you would end up with 80 ft of halyard line to stow...

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I think that Andrew and Dave are right. You have something going on that shouldn't be happening. If it was supposed to be that hard there wouldn't be thousands of them sailing without tieing off the main halyard. BUT if you like that method by all means stick with it.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Quotei drilled and tapped my mast near the foot installed a cleat and am now tieing it off the main halyard every time. its simple, painless, and dont see why hobie never went with it in the first place

when you run your sail up the track and it catches the hook you have what it was designed to handle

if you run your halyard up, around a block and back down to the foot, you have just doubled the force on the mast. If you have a comp tip.. this could be trouble.

if you don't have a comp tip.. you still have double the force on your mast and COULD be a problem ... thats why they use a ring on top, or a bead on a wire halyard that fits into the fork ontop
    http://www.catsailor.com/bb_files/11514.gif

edited by: andrewscott, Aug 20, 2010 - 09:30 AM
  • Still interested in specifically what you are having a problem with. In addition to what is mentioned above I have had headaches with unhooking the main. The problem was my knot. My bowline was too long and the knot was hitting the block at the top of the mast before it could clear the hook (yes I was rotating the mast after pulling the halyard).

Many H18 sailors remove the flapper that came with the older boats - I removed mine and it made hooking the main much easier - Hobie even recommends removing the flapper.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • QuoteThe problem was my knot. My bowline was too long and the knot was hitting the block at the top of the mast before it could clear the hook

i never used a bowline with my ring (h18 or current cat). Always a stopper knot (fig 8)

of course there are different ring types. and i am knot saying (pun inteded) that a bowline is wrong, just different from what i do, and have seen

I have my knot facing back, but have been told it works best facing forward on an h18 (didnt on mine).

I also have been told i am rotating my mast incorrectly when i lower my sail... but it almost ALWAYS comes down without a hitch (pun intended),
  • Thanks for the info. My halyard ring is the style that has a "segment" bar from about 12 o'clock to about 4 o'clock across the ring. So now I have the bowline at the 4 oclock and a clove hitch at the 12 oclock positions. Put a couple twists in the halyard before attaching the main and this has been working well. Like you say definately face the knot away from the mast.

HA - when I read (fig 8) in your post I started looking for figure 8! Man I need to get some coffee.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • Kevin,
    I had a lot of trouble with unlocking my halyard from the lock at the top of the mast. I bought a Murrays halyard ring and that solved the problem, halyard is easy to unlock. I have a comp tip mast on my Hobie 18 and I use a stopper knot setup to be able to get the halyard up as much as possible. Anyways the shackle was a real deal changer as I wanted to take my halyard lock off as well due to frustration getting the halyard unlocked. Try it again with either the hobie shackle or the Murrays shackle with stopper knot setup or have the halyard spliced to the shackle. Also spray the bolt rope with Mclube before you hoist the sail, it makes a huge difference. Good luck. Ryan

edited by: rssailor, Sep 03, 2010 - 01:34 AM
  • i tried mclube and different shackles and all kinds of stuff at the top there. Im a cleater now and ive never looked back. simple is always better.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Kevin219i tried mclube and different shackles and all kinds of stuff at the top there. Im a cleater now and ive never looked back. simple is always better.

Whatever gets you on the water I guess, but I wish I could be there with you raising your sail just once and I guarantee you would decide the hook is superior afterwords. There are small equipment and technique details that make all the difference but are hard to describe.

To me the hook IS the simple way and is used by almost all beachcats. Putting the halyard under tension by cleating makes it impossible to keep the sail fully raised and get proper downhaul tension due to stretch in 28 feet of halyard. Also you are putting stresses on the pulleys at the top and base of the mast they are not intended to see.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • In my opinion this is the ring that works best on the Hobie 18, on this one you put the halyard through the small hole and tie a stopper knot.

The stopper knot should end up on the mast side of the ring when the ring is attached to the sail, that way the pressure of the halyard pulling up tilts the ring slightly towards the hook instead of away from it.
    http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/01-4216.jpg

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • that does look pretty nifty. i wish you could be there to sail with me too Damon. crew an i just got off the water. hull flying at midnight!!

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Kevin219crew an i just got off the water. hull flying at midnight!!

Hey that's awesome. I haven't done it this year but full-moon sailing makes even my muddy local lake look beautiful. We even used to have the "Dead Elvis Regatta" with the start at moon-rise in August. Good Times.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • ~~ I was having trouble with my 17 Hobie ring & hook not catchin up there and I wanted to play with my toy, so I got it up tight, tied it off at the base and went out sailin... got out there a few miles~~ the line broke, and it was good line..... That's why they have a hook & ring, no strain on the halyard.........

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • For the geeks among us.....the original patent for catamaran halyard design. Circa 1978. Coast Catamaran Corp.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4077347.pdf

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.