Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Roll Call for Juana Good Time Regatta  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 [+1]:

• Does anyone know if there is any room on a boat? As an extra hand, beer opener, crew, (no real racing experience). Are there any fun sails between events where I could comp a ride? I'd really like to see how a spin works, & see how some of the better sailors do things.
    I looked into the idea of renting a Wave for the afternoon fun. Do you need a "boaters license"?
    I see the rental shop says you can write an exam there if you don't have a Florida card.
    We fly into Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, lots of South Florida,& lots of the northern cities. Looks like The Big Easy is the closest, is 4 hrs about right to drive from there to Jaunas?
    Thanks

Edited by Edchris177 on Aug 24, 2011 - 01:33 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Florida requirements http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/Florida.asp
    Test is free. Not that hard. If nothing else, you may learn something.
    I'm not that young so not required but, my insurance company gave me a discount with the card.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • QuoteI looked into the idea of renting a Wave for the afternoon fun.

If you enter the Hobie Timed Races, you don't need a boat. You will race one of Juana's Hobie Rentals. Your entry fee for the Regatta covers the use of the boat, so you don't actually have to rent one. Everyone will race the same boats in timed heats.

-Mandy
  • in re: theBeachcats meet... I think Damon stands out from a crowd fairly well icon_wink I know of only one other comparable, and he isn't going to be there...
  • Thanks for the info, I'm seriously thinking of coming down.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Edchris177Do you need a "boaters license"?

License? Never even thought of that! I'll just show 'em my beer wristband.....maybe that'll do!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Hey Bombardier Invitation...if you fly in, the closest airport would be in Pensacola

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Goodall Design "Southern Area Rep"
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • tamiin re: theBeachcats meet... I think Damon stands out from a crowd fairly well icon_wink I know of only one other comparable, and he isn't going to be there...

Ok, I missed this icon_eek Yep, lets gather in the shade of Damon about 6pm Friday on the deck at Juana's for a gathering of TheBeachcats.com.

After our meeting I'll throw a party on the deck, here is the program, available to all members of TheBeachcats.com who are registered for the Juana Good Time Regatta. icon_lol

• 5-9PM Music by Jerry Diaz and Hanna’s Reef
    • 7-9PM Party with free draft (tip your bartender!), munchies, and $2.75 Coronas.
    • 9:30PM-1:30AM Live Music by the Mojiles. $2.25 draft and $2.75 Corona

Seriously, I'll try to come up with some "Hi I'm" stickers so everyone can display their usernames from here and get to know each other in real life.

I'm heading to Florida/Navarre on the Tuesday after Labor Day (Sep. 6th) to get in a little relaxed sailing before the regatta, so if anyone else is planning on being down early let me know here or by PM.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • DamonLinkous
    After our meeting I'll throw a party on the deck, here is the program, available to all members of TheBeachcats.com who are registered for the Juana Good Time Regatta.
    • 5-9PM Music by Jerry Diaz and Hanna’s Reef
    • 7-9PM Party with free draft (tip your bartender!), munchies, and $2.75 Coronas.
    • 9:30PM-1:30AM Live Music by the Mojiles. $2.25 draft and $2.75 Corona

Damon, Free Beer, your the man!!!!

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • I'll be there on Thursday (8th).

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • rattlenhum
    Edchris177Do you need a "boaters license"?

License? Never even thought of that! I'll just show 'em my beer wristband.....maybe that'll do!

Mississippi Requirements http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/mississippi.asp

Jerome, I think your safe on the age requirement.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • QuoteFlorida requirements http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/Florida.asp
    Test is free.

Thanks, I looked into that site.
    Ha Ha, I also fall into the "old enough to bypass the age requirement"
    I also noticed the statement, "In Florida, anyone born on or after January 1, 1988, who operates a vessel powered by 10 horsepower or more". I'll bring my Canadian Yachting Assc power boat & keelboat certifications just in case.
    I don't think Waves have engines.
    QuoteHey Bombardier Invitation...if you fly in, the closest airport would be in Pensacola

Thanks, i did some more checking. I will come from Canada on Air Canada. Connections to the closer airports seems to be more hassle than doing the 4 hour drive from 'Nawlins. MSY is the closest we fly into direct, I think I'll rent a car & do the drive.

Edited by Edchris177 on Aug 25, 2011 - 08:58 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • hey ed, if you fly into/out of new orleans between the hours of 10am to 9pm, do your self a favor and get a bite at the harbor seafood rest.. it's directly across interstae 10 from airport on williams blvd- first redlight after the interstate on the left. there is a seafood shop on the left side of the building and a small resturant on the right side. nothing fancy, poboys/gumbo/oysters/crabs/ice cold beers/etc.. great local spot and not pricey at all. you don't want to pass through new orleans and not eat!

while your cruising the coast, if time permits, take hwy 90 form gulfport(hwy 49s) to ocean springs(hwy 57s) and check out the mississippi coast...ocean springs yacht club, secret spot(biloxi). some great cat sailing waters to scout out..

looks like juanas might work out for me this year...somebody has to take up the rear!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Planning to attend. To the veterans, is there an explanation of the races that take place on Saturday? What events are open to H16's aside from drinking beer? I am a novice to racing, and my crew is even more inexperienced and I don't want to get in people's way if this is a hard-core racing event.

Thanks

--
    Karl, Captain of Stayin' Thirsty
    2011 Hobie 16SE
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • This is the first year the the Juana Good Time Regatta has had online registration, in the past you either mailed in the form from their newsletter or registered in person on Friday night.

It's a big help to regatta organizers if people register early, so lets help out by registering online if possible. I just registered after I heard they had only received 15 pre-registrations so far. You also receive a ten dollar discount for registering before Sept 1st. (six days left)

Register online at
    http://www.active.com/sai…a-good-time-regatta-2011

Or download and mail the entry form from here.
    http://nwfevents.com/wp-c…atta-entry-form-2011.pdf

Mandy's regatta page with lodging and other info.
    http://nwfevents.com/?page_id=102

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • motivatedPlanning to attend. To the veterans, is there an explanation of the races that take place on Saturday? What events are open to H16's aside from drinking beer? I am a novice to racing, and my crew is even more inexperienced and I don't want to get in people's way if this is a hard-core racing event.

Thanks

The Juana Good Time Regatta prides itself on being a "non regatta" regatta where "Good Time" outranks hard core racing. The format is a nice distance race on Saturday down the sound, flat water and sand beaches on both shorelines. So you can't get in much trouble even if you had to bail out along the way for some reason.

The various boat types are divided into X, Y, and Z fleets based on the speeds of the boats and sent to different channel markers. It helps if you have an idea where these markers are, such as a handheld GPS, otherwise you'll need to follow someone who does know. It's surprisingly difficult to see these from on the water until you are pretty close.

http://juanaspagodas.com/Regatta/regatta-course.png

On Sunday it's closer to traditional bouy racing so the main thing is to understand the basic starting sequence flags and basic mark and right of way sailing rules.

As this is your first regatta, at any point that being in a race does not add to the fun of your weekend, bail out and sail in a way you are having fun. However! If you ever abandon a race that you have started be sure and sail to the committee boat and notify them you have withdrawn! Otherwise you could trigger a widespread and expensive search for your "lost" boat.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Motivated, I had the same concerns that you had the first time i went to Juanas in 2009. I thought the people there were going to be all about racing and that i was going to be in there way... nothing could be further from the truth... the race is all about having fun and meeting some of the nicest people. This will be my 3rd year and wouldnt miss this event for nothing. We drive down from Cincinnati every year for this party! We are bringing 5 Hobie 16s this year... we will be there on thursday and look forward to Damon buying the beer!
  • DamonLinkousThis is the first year the the Juana Good Time Regatta has had online registration, in the past you either mailed in the form from their newsletter or registered in person on Friday night.

It's a big help to regatta organizers if people register early, so lets help out by registering online if possible. I just registered after I heard they had only received 15 pre-registrations so far. You also receive a ten dollar discount for registering before Sept 1st. (six days left)

Register online at
    http://www.active.com/sai…a-good-time-regatta-2011

Or download and mail the entry form from here.
    http://nwfevents.com/wp-c…atta-entry-form-2011.pdf

Mandy's regatta page with lodging and other info.
    http://nwfevents.com/?page_id=102

It is a HUGE help:) The Gulf Breeze Zoo is give coupons to early registered sailors as well.
  • GlennTepeMotivated, I had the same concerns that you had the first time i went to Juanas in 2009. I thought the people there were going to be all about racing and that i was going to be in there way... nothing could be further from the truth... the race is all about having fun and meeting some of the nicest people. This will be my 3rd year and wouldnt miss this event for nothing. We drive down from Cincinnati every year for this party! We are bringing 5 Hobie 16s this year... we will be there on thursday and look forward to Damon buying the beer!

And boy are we glad you make the trip!!!!

QuotePlanning to attend. To the veterans, is there an explanation of the races that take place on Saturday? What events are open to H16's aside from drinking beer? I am a novice to racing, and my crew even more inexperienced and I don't want to get in people's way if this is a hard-core racing event

Glenn and Damon hit the nail on the head. A good time is what Juana's is all about. Of course we make sure the course is safe and that scores/times are accurate and out fast (largely because I want to join in the festivities) but everyone has the same goal.... to drink, sail, and be merry. icon_smile
  • Some of the Gastons will be there. Watch out!!!

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.