Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cruise around Vancouver Island anyone?  Bottom

• A few years back, I began to hatch a plan to run my Hobie 21 SE around Vancouver Island. I had originally thought of organizing an event and had some great help offered but have decided to just go out there and do it without all the fanfare. This is a spectacular piece of the world and would be the trip of a lifetime with the proper preparation which I feel we've done.

We'll be leaving Nanaimo on June 30th for a 9 day, 1000 km circumnavigation around the island. The moon is just coming to full on July 1st and the tides at Seymour Narrows give us a nice slack tide at 9:49am on the Sunday morning allowing us to get through the nastiest part of the trip. The days are very long at this time of year with twilight starting at 4:08am and ending at about 10pm. I was on the Van Isle 360 a few years back and distictly remember watching a few whales off our hip that I could see past 11pm.

If anyone with an I20/H21/ARC22 type cat is interested in doing this with us, email me. We've done a ton of homework on this and with the proper safety and com gear, we feel that its totally doable in a safe manner. I also have a second Hobie 21 SE that I might make available depending on what I pillage from it for spare parts. The boat is in fine shape though.

Map here:
    http://maps.google.com/ma…92&spn=1.806518,5.388794

Contact me if interested.

Edited by dgauci on Feb 07, 2012 - 06:26 PM.
  • That's a Hell of a trip in an open Cat. I've done some of it, in a 38' lead sled, we also used to go on my buddies boat at Easter, for the Point Grey to Silva race.
    Another friends Mom has a 36' at Port Alberni that we use for salmon fishing around Bamfield & Ucluelet. I remember almost everyone puking off Bamfield in some big seas.
    You have some great uncrowded beaches to camp on. B.C. must be a world leader in the creation of marine parks.
    Hopefully a few more can join you, post some photos & a narrative of the journey.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • That's an adventure! What are the air and water temps that time of year?

Please consider carrying a Spot Tracker for your personal safety, but mainly for our entertainment and vicarious enjoyment of your trip!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Hey Damon,

Yes, I already have an active Spot Tracker, 2 handheld GPS units, 2 cells and have reserved my satellite phone already. Water temps are in the high 50's to low 60's with air temps dependant on how hard the wind is blowing and from what direction. When out for daysails in this area, we usually wear a shortie wetsuit but for this trip, we'll definitely be going with drysuits and a selection of appropriate layers for the outside sections.

I'll be putting together a website over the next few months outlining the objectves and plans and invite feeback so I don't miss anything. Hopefully, someone may choose to take my other H21 around with us giving us a little more "safety in numbers". Lets see where it goes.

David

Edited by dgauci on Feb 10, 2012 - 02:48 PM.
  • just found this http://nomadness.com/blog…nture.html#comment-22473

looks like he has the same idea

bernd
  • Yeah, I ws looking at that a while back. Its a pretty amazing piece of technology but too many moving parts. I'm not sure why they would want to go in September with the shorter days and harsher weather. 9 weeks is a long time to be out there at that time of year. Still, as a concept build, its incredibly brilliant.

I'm thinking that it might make sense to offer up my other Hobie 21 SE if anyone wants to join us. This would be a perfect ride for an experienced GT300/Steeplechase type team looking for a real cool adventure.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.