Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Would Prindle 18' be good for a finger lake?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Sorry for the delay Dave, I'm up at the cottage & had to wait for a kid to bring my laptop up.
    I bought mine from near Chaffreys Lock, that must be close to you. It took a couple of hours to rig mine up, but that was the first time I did it. I'm pretty sure you could do it in 45-50 min once you had practiced a few times, & were organized. I only set mine up once a year, & store it on a modified seadoo lift. I have a rock breakwall &my wife doesn't want it on the lawn. I use an old tramp with bungees at the corners as a sunshade. Blocks, lines, & tiller are left on, so I only hoist the rags & go, about 10 minutes.
    I only weigh 170, with harness & wet lifejacket, 10 mph will fly a hull trapped out solo, & anything over about 17 mph starts to be a handful. With a crew, 20 mph becomes a really high energy ride. I can right my 5.7 solo in only a few minutes. Toss the righting line over, attach the bag, fill it with water & pull it up with a 3:1 system. Then swim the mast around so the wind is between the mast & bows, leave the jib sheeted, & hike out... the boat comes right up. With 2 people leave the righting bag & just hike out, as long as th emast is sealed, it will float & the boat will come right up.
    I don't worry about pointing, I'm not an experienced racer, but they seem to point OK, just get the weight forward & bury the bow, & you are not giving up much. I never worry about pitchpoling, yesterday in 20 mph with 2 on the wire we stuffed it into a wave in a gust & the lee bow went close to a foot underwater, it went under right up til the beam & tramp hit the water. We nearly ground to a halt, the crew moved back, the bow popped up & away we accelerated.
    I've heard nothing but good things about the Prindle, I ended up with a Nacra 5.7 because that was the boat that was for sale anywhere near me. Here is a link with some buying info.
    http://www.sailingproshop.com/catamaran_guide.aspx

Rigging & lines are fairly cheap, if you need rudders, sails or a mast, you can spend lots in a hurry, so make sure the expensive items are in good shape.
    Here is how I keep mine at the cottage.The kids use the little Invitation quite a bit.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=75530&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=97ba88a7af82f8adf6ff8a1641010124

edited by: Edchris177, Aug 08, 2010 - 10:15 AM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • uh oh..... someone knocked the flowers over icon_eek

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Edchris177
    Here is how I keep mine at the cottage.The kids use the little Invitation quite a bit.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=75530

Edward, beautiful place! Great to see the cat where a jet ski would often be.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Quarathuh oh..... someone knocked the flowers over icon_eek

hahha
  • Thanks for all the great info Ed. Indeed Chaffey's Locks is quite close to my cottage, although I'm south of there. Are you also near Kingston on Lake Ontario?
  • Chriss, glad to finally see your 5.7, they are an awesome boat! We sail the massive Missouri river impoundments where the winds will hit 20-30+. Last Sat. we had my 5.7 out in Lewis and Clark Lake behind Gavins Point dam in South Dakota, wind 20-30 with gusts to 35. Me on the tiller and two trapped out. Had 5 foot swells and stuffing the hulls to the front crossbeams when we heard a "poom", looked up and the jib was a shredded mass of dacron! Went back to the beach, tossed the jib in the back of the truck and went right back out. Still had enough wind without the jib to fly the hull with a crew weight of 450+ lbs! Fellas, if you want a heavy weather boat get a 5.7 or a 570. Where I come from,if the winds are 10-15 it's a Hobie day. If it's white-capping 20+ it's a NACRA Day!
  • HaHa Damon, that picture doesn't quite show the truth. I'm not really as "green" environmentally as that picture makes out!
    Here is the real story;
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=75954&g2_serialNumber=4&g2_GALLERYSID=0d9ed25e1c5bb11245938b31b9c65fff
    We get stretches of a week or two with no wind, then the kids all want wake boards, water skis, kayaks, canoes, tubes, wind surfers,(even if they have to just paddle the boards around as a SUP)I had to expand the dock real esteate this spring to accommodate the Cat, which my daughter has code named Scared Cat,or Fraidy Cat because they are usually screaming when out on it. Apparently the SS Minnow (Invitation) is a safer ride.
    I'm on Lake Simcoe Dave, found the Cat at Chaffrey's as my daughter goes to Queens U, so we do get down to Kingston a few times.
    NacraMan, I'm still to chicken to take it out in 30 kts. I've done a couple of 20+ kt days, with a crew, or two. Yesterday I had 19 year old & 16 yr old girls on the wire. We were slamming through rolling seas of 2-3' at full speed, it's a wet ride, but never felt like it wanted to pitchpole or dive for the bottom. I'd like to go with an experienced skipper some day, & see a real 30 kts powered up.

edited by: Edchris177, Aug 17, 2010 - 03:57 PM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.