Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5. 2 beam end caps  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4:

• not sure if i would pay $30 for a plastic end cap with a hole so large that my bungee hook would go right thru and into the beam.

in 2011, i contacted these folks and they were offering cast aluminum end caps for $36. probably higher now and with shipping.....kaching! but the nice thing about alum. is it will probably never need to be replaced again.

at the time, my contact was 'Warren'.
    Brisbane Catamarans - briscat@briscatamaran.com.au

what does everyone think about the 3D printing as an economical solution?
    j

Edited by arch on Aug 10, 2013 - 09:29 PM.

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --
  • Well, I guess one could spend hours posting here, then, go spend a little more time and money at Home Depot, then go to the garage and fabricate something that is hokey. Time is money also. I like big holes, and own a drill. Ive done it both ways. Ill spend the day on the water instead.
  • One comment, the caps will keep the aka (beam) ends from getting nicked and dented...seriously. A good cap does have a function...

--
    Leave places better for having been there; respect others,
    "The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." Harper Lee - Scout, To Kill a Mockingbird.
    Congress needs fixing, fix it!
    --
  • I know this is a fun dated post... but! End caps are now being made again! Back up on Murrays site. Question is, How do you attach them to the boat? Fricition? Glue? Rivets?
  • Not sure on the attachment. I think it was generally done with two screws, I don't have a pic. Thanks for the info..

https://www.murrays.com/p…-cap-nacra-without-hole/

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Here is a link for DIY end caps. They work great.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=108920

--
    2016 Hobie Getaway
    1978 Nacra 5.2
    1978 Hobie 16 (back in the day)
    --
  • Thanks will check it out. I made one out of epoxy, then gave it up...it worked but seemed a PIA to fool with them.

--
    "The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." Harper Lee - Scout, To Kill a Mockingbird.
    --
  • QuoteQuestion is, How do you attach them to the boat? Fricition? Glue? Rivets?

Most likely you will see several small holes in the aluminum beam, where a small SS screw went through into the end cap.
    Use 2 screws, the end caps don't float. Don't use rivets or glue. The front beam needs to come off to remove the tramp, & you need access to the half moon chicks inside the beam.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Hi Im the one that posted the photos on how to make the end caps, as Edchris177 said I drilled 2 small holes in the beam and used 2 #4 x 1/2" SS screws
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=108959&g2_GALLERYSID=ef661b1fe7aa361f660c3c046436f4c6
    to hold them on 4 years now and there still there on my N5.2 and N5.0
    the cost is about $9 at HD and it takes about 1 to 2 hours to make 4 of them
    Let me know if you have any questions about how to make them

Edited by ohmsj on Feb 03, 2018 - 10:30 PM.

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --
  • FWIW. Anyone pays $30.00 for one cap needs to swill more.

Also FWIW, attaching if you have is easy. The pair I made from left over epoxy, which I no longer use, was attached to aka by using longish bungie...drilled hole in center of epoxy and ran very thin cord through with knot on outside...PIA but cannot lose cap...but as PIA and figured not needed, no longer mess with it...and likely why end-caps do not sell and price is so high!

--
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.