Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

sorry to ask but on a Nacra 5.2  Bottom

• I just got a used Nacra 5.2 My jib just has a nylon strap that I assume the halyard connects to. I cannot imagine that would hold up under constant strain. Am i missing something? Also my boat has a separate traveler sheet and main sheet. Is this correct? I am used to the hobie/prindle 16 setup of 1 continual sheet.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • I can't answer on the jib question, but the separate traveler sheet is the best especially when they're color coded. then you can always find the correct line for either traveler or main sheet.

--
    Stefan, Denmark.
    H14,H16,P16,P18,SC17,N5.8
    Team StaySail
    http://www.staysail.eu
    --
  • [quote=golfdad75]I just got a used Nacra 5.2 My jib just has a nylon strap that I assume the halyard connects to. I cannot imagine that would hold up under constant strain.

pretty sure that's all mine has too

remember the jib is zipped to the forestay and so the load is spread along the complete length and not isolated at the jib hanks

the tack of the jib has all the loads concentrated at 1 point and that has a metal eyelet in reinforced sail material

the traveller is a separate line and can be rigged as 2:1 or 3:1 depending on if you tie off on the block at the beam center or run through it and back to the traveller car
  • Yes, the jib halyard is attached to a piece of dacron webbing at the top of the jib. Both my jibs are like this. You aren't putting a huge strain on the jib luff with the halyard even when you downhaul it, so it seems to hold fine.

The travellers are called barberhaulers and are mainly used downwind to open a pocket between the main and jib. They are usually rigged 2:1 with a block off of the hull behind the main beam (factory) or on the main beam itself (retrofit).

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I use one continuous sheet on my 5.8na. I tried the separate sheets and the traveler sheet was always in the water behind the boat.
  • Do you happen to know long the continuous sheet is. I had no problems with the system on a hobie or prindle. The main wss in my hand and the traveler was across my legs. I never heard it called a barber hauler though but I have been out of sailing since 93. By

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • The continuous jib sheet is about 33' long (5/16" dia). The barber hauler should be about 16 feet long (1/4" or 5/16" DIA). Main sheet is about 40 feet of 3/8" dia for an 8:1.

Dunno I thought that the traveler on jib was always called a barberhauler unless it is mounted on a track.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I think golfdad is talking about his main traveler. I use a separate main sheet and traveler sheet, and tie them together with a sheet bend. Some of the 5.2's have a block attached to an eyelet riveted to the rear beam, which you can use to gain a 2:1 purchase on the traveler. This makes the traveler MUCH easier to move while under sail. The separate sheet makes it very easy to quickly identify the traveler sheet by color (as opposed to being the other end of the mainsheet) and also gives (me) a couple other advantages. I leave the traveler sheet on the boat, and that means I don't have to run the main sheet through the cleat, traveler, and block, I just have to tie it to the traveler sheet. Also, if I'm going to be solo, I can run the main sheet through the jib sheet once before knotting it to the traveler sheet, which helps to keep the main sheet from sliding right off the boat when I fly a hull. Finally, it allows for a smaller, easier to cleat line for the traveler sheet without affecting the mainsheet.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Perfect reply Rob, you answered all concerns with perfect reasoning and solutions.
    yurdleI think golfdad is talking about his main traveler. I use a separate main sheet and traveler sheet, and tie them together with a sheet bend. Some of the 5.2's have a block attached to an eyelet riveted to the rear beam, which you can use to gain a 2:1 purchase on the traveler. This makes the traveler MUCH easier to move while under sail. The separate sheet makes it very easy to quickly identify the traveler sheet by color (as opposed to being the other end of the mainsheet) and also gives (me) a couple other advantages. I leave the traveler sheet on the boat, and that means I don't have to run the main sheet through the cleat, traveler, and block, I just have to tie it to the traveler sheet. Also, if I'm going to be solo, I can run the main sheet through the jib sheet once before knotting it to the traveler sheet, which helps to keep the main sheet from sliding right off the boat when I fly a hull. Finally, it allows for a smaller, easier to cleat line for the traveler sheet without affecting the mainsheet.

• Thanks you guys are very helpful. I am taking the boat out this morning. I am sure I will have question tonight

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.