Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16 title problems.  Bottom

• I never got a title for my Hobie 16 (the guy I bought it from told me it was lost) and I never bothered to register it. I know it is supposed to be registered in Virginia, but so far I haven't had any problem. But... now I want to sell the boat. I guess I can try to sell it "as is" without a title, but probably people are going to be smarter than me and not want to buy it without a title.

There seems no way out of this fix.

Any suggestions?
  • simply, take ur last registration into the DMV and have them issue you a new one. you can also go to your local public notary who can provide more specific details respective to your state's current law regarding boat registration and replacing lost or absent titles.
  • dewy2437simply, take ur last registration into the DMV...

No, I think you missed the part where I said I never registered the boat. No title. No registration.

In Virginia boat titles and registration are handled by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, not the DMV. I read their website and it looks like I'm just plain screwed.

edited by: clymbon, May 31, 2010 - 10:54 AM
  • It depends on the state, but usually, you just apply for a new title, and it takes a long time. Generally you need to take it to the state police for a HIN inspection (if you even have a hull number) and then there's some kind of waiting period while they try to match it with lists of stolen boats/vehicles. If you need to sell it right away, give the buyer a good bill of sale and let him deal with it. If you have time, you can do it yourself. I did this once in Washington, (had title, no VIN present) and they gave me a provisional title with a three year waiting period. Recently did it in Oregon (no title, no HIN) and it took about two weeks.
  • I just found out that in Virginia, for boats under 18 ft, with no motor, no title or registration is required. So I'm just going to not worry about it. Hooray for Virginia!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.