Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Pacific Catamaran (P-Cat) 19  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 [+1]:

• benedictI just picked up a Pacific Cat. It's in "project boat" shape, so it's a bit of an ugly duckling at the moment. But as soon as I have it sea-worthy I can provide more information (and photos!)

Tom

I had hull number 417. The black one with a white deck. It was a 1969 that was previously owned by Paul Allen and then Les Vessel. It won 3 D class Nationals. Great boat and I owned it for 28 years until someone stole it... Sad. So I just put the cherry main sail that I had made and only used about 5 times with the battens and boom still attached and Jib sail all in a nice sailbag that I had in the garage on the ads section. Don't Know what somebody would do with a stolen boat and not all the parts...
  • You have the parts. which saves much time and hassle, go for it. Look forward to the progress.

--
    Leave places better for having been there; respect others,
    "The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." Harper Lee - Scout, To Kill a Mockingbird.
    Congress needs fixing, fix it!
    --
  • These boats were tanks, but I remember watching them sail right by an entire fleet of Nacras on Lake Havasu a long time ago. In light air they had the sail area to get them moving. We all just floated around getting burnt to a crisp until the wind finally filled in. They seemed like they were great family boats.
    dg

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • The P-Cat was the first cat I ever sailed. The summer school I went to in Hawaii in '69 had 3. That's when I saw an H14. My instructor said it was a great little boat. I ended up buying one from Bob Holland in Va. Beach when I got back home. The rest is history.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • dusty
    benedictI just picked up a Pacific Cat. It's in "project boat" shape, so it's a bit of an ugly duckling at the moment. But as soon as I have it sea-worthy I can provide more information (and photos!)

Tom

I had hull number 417. The black one with a white deck. It was a 1969 that was previously owned by Paul Allen and then Les Vessel. It won 3 D class Nationals. Great boat and I owned it for 28 years until someone stole it... Sad. So I just put the cherry main sail that I had made and only used about 5 times with the battens and boom still attached and Jib sail all in a nice sailbag that I had in the garage on the ads section. Don't Know what somebody would do with a stolen boat and not all the parts...

I read Warren Millers "Tour of the bay" if anybody can find that it's about the first time he ever sailed a Pacific Cat or maybe any cat. He took his wife out on it and it's funny! Willl make you blow coffee out your nose onto your key board if you can find it.

Edited by dusty on Aug 17, 2016 - 08:09 AM.
  • Husband has been sailing all his life, and windsurfing. I bought him a P-Cat for his birthday in 2007. The person I bought it from lovingly restored it, and knew how to flip and right it on a lake. The first lesson he wanted to teach us on a lake was just how to do such a thing. Swim it around and point it into the wind, throw ropes over the lifted side of the boat, climb up the lifted hull, pull on ropes and rigging while bouncing the mast. The wind blows under the sail as you keep bouncing it. The water bounces off and then the boat rights itself. The hard part of all of this, is the boat taking off without you or it falling the other way; as well as you needing to do things quickly to let the wind spill off the sails so you can collect your things, your composure and your pride. Obviously, you won't be able to right the boat without some wind blowing but we all know it doesn't take a lot with the sail area of a P-Cat. This is a lot harder to do with one person but he could. :) P.S. I would post pics but I don't know how.

Edited by eulipion on Aug 17, 2017 - 05:57 PM.
  • Aloha from Oahu,

I just purchased a p-cat with a friend with the hopes of learning to sail it, but we know nothing! What are the best resources to learn to rig it and sail it? Please help :)
  • Aloha from Oahu,

I just purchased a p-cat with a friend with the hopes of learning to sail it, but we know nothing! What are the best resources to learn to rig it and sail it? Please help :)
  • Been hovering here for some time.

The names Carter Pyle and Newport Boats (Costa Mesa, CA and Virginia) stick in head...Newport made the spendid Kite, Mobjack, and the popular P-Cat cat. Not sure who designed the rig, could have been Pyle.

This was back in the late 60s and in 70s, when the popular Seaman designed wood Malibu Outriggers ran off the sand in Malibu. Early fiberglass days...heavy rigs...but fast. And, as I recall, the rig sported on of the early fully battened mains.

No tramp, but solid deck. Rock solid as memory serves.

If older pics are avail, please publish here.

Also, I have a glass MO, with 6061 and SS, Harkens tramp and mahogany decking, and the best carbon spar rigging with new 220 sq foot sail and trailer I am willing to part with...just getting too old to sail here...boat is a fargin kick to sail and a rocket as is. Pics available and might deliver...depending.

--
    "The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." Harper Lee - Scout, To Kill a Mockingbird.
    --
  • I got interested in cats at a boat show when Hobie Alter was selling his new 12' cat model. I saw the video and was hooked. I spent the entire weekend with Hobie, manning his booth for him when he had to leave. By the end of the show I was ready to buy the San Antonio franchise (three boats) without ever having sailed one. At the end of the show, Hobie told me a little shamefacedly that he had to sell the franchise to a local boat dealer who had lots of display room and experience. I understood and we parted ways.

Not long after that, I was in a new seafood restaurant opened by a Californian name Gary Argenbreit. He had pictures on the wall of him sailing his Pacific Cat in Hawaii or California, flying a hull and towing a skier. I was more hooked than on the Hobie because of the advanced features like the hard deck, cubbies, foot wells and stabilizing dagger boards. Not to mention the full battened sails and self-furling foresail. I arranged to buy the boat and sailed it in Texas Lakes for years. I had to leave town and wound up selling it. I'd swear it is the one in the pictures at the Austin boat sales, but mine had a white top over yellow hulls.

I used to tow skiers myself and would have the boat start from being tied to the end of a T-head wooden pier at the summer home of my banker. All went well until we started off under full sail and a nice wind (but my friend forgot to untie the boat). That powerful little cat tore the end of the pier off and started towing it along with the skier. icon_eek I spent the rest of the summer rebuilding the pier by resetting the timbers into a rocky bottom of the lake.

It may have been too heavy to easily work as a beach cat, but our lakes all have concrete boat ramps where you can simply back the boat trailer down until the boat floats. I don't know why it didn't stay popular as a inland lake boat. I still love that boat.
  • Wildbill2u, back in those days, likely corporate...Newport sales slowed as new and lighter hulls showed up, like the Hobie craze, and sheer change. I went to Seaman's Malibu Outrigger...as a light beach rig, now. 300 lbs all up. Different times, but the P-cat still rules...very good evey little bit of history helps.

--
    --
  • I am selling my old PCat 19, #96, in need of restoration, but all the parts are there. I tried putting an advertisement on this site yesterday, september 2nd 2020, but it has not showed up yet. Pat Quivey 707 951 0198
  • P.M.Great write up!
    Here's the active link:
    http://www.sailingtexas.com/spacificcat18a.html

I think that's my old PCat. Weren't many around Texas when I bought it from a ristorante owner in San Antonio name Gary Argenbright who came there to open the best seafood restaurant in town. I sailed it for a few years in Canyon Lake and went away and didn't take the boat. i left it in my son-in-laws care at his father's place. His father gave it away to an unknown party in Austin. Lots of stories around that PCat. I miss it today
    icon_biggrin
  • pbegleI believe Warren Miller, the ski movie guy, used to sail one.

I miss Warren Miller and his movies!
    He used to tour universities to promote his newest release, and I saw him a number of times.
    I still have a sailing feature he made, on VHS.
    Wait, did I say that out loud?
    icon_eek

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • QuoteI still have a sailing feature he made, on VHS.
    Wait, did I say that out loud?

haha!
    vhs tape is pretty great for tell-tales. i have a few 100 miles if you need any :)
  • There's a PCat for sale in Camarillo, CA for a grand. Has a "Prindle Mast", has expired registrations, and needs a mainsail.

https://ventura.craigslis…atamaran/7177049318.html

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • He's selling because he "is 70 and too old for this racing cat" Reminds me of my own age 80 and dreams of owning another P cat are probably just dreams,
  • Interested in Buying P-cat. Had one years ago and would like to teach my grand kids to sail on one.
    I had a white p- cat #229 in Newport Beach.
  • What I would think about doing is crafting a dagger, using the one you have as a template. To me easiest wousl be to take a piece of mahogany and cut it to shape, feather the edges, stain and glass...pretty and functional.
    The other course is to cnc one with foam and glass...
    Unless a rig has been compromised, parts might prove a bit spendy...so you know why some swabs do not part with them.

--
    --
  • Quote To me easiest wousl be to take a piece of mahogany and cut it to shape, feather the edges, stain and glass...pretty and functional.

Why would you stain wood and (prior to) fiberglass?

Edited by MN3 on Feb 03, 2021 - 11:28 AM.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.