Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Pacific Catamaran (P-Cat) 19  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 [+1]:

• I was recently given this boat. It is reasonably complete and in good shape. Missing one dagger. I am looking for info. and possible sources for parts. thanx.
  • No Pacific Cat owners out there? Come on, I told mytlitl he could get some help here! icon_confused

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Does anyone have any information on this cat?
  • The only pic I have of the Pacific Cat from the 1970's is here
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=73548

Would like to know more about them too.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=24985

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Hey acorp, please check your email address in "My Account" | "Edit my information

because your email notifications are bouncing.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • P-Cats were made in Costa Mesa,Ca, next door to Newport Beach, by one of the Minneys. Early ones were 580 #'s, but there were 2 more versions made which got the weight down a bit. Three of them used to drive up from Ohio to St Clair Shores, Mi to race against my neighbor who had one. Soon as I got a H-16 and beat him, he lost interest in the boat. Ran into them again in '73 at Namsa N.Americans in Spray Beach, N.J. where they would run downwind with full spinnaker. They were liked because of hard deck and foot wells making for more comfortable sitting and Harken hardware everywhere. Pete
  • Thanks for the info Pete, I've added it to the description of the Pacific Cat in Beachcats Identification. Were these boats usually called Pacific Cats, or P-Cats?

You don't happen to have any pictures of the boats for those days do you? The one in this thread is the only one I've got.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • acorpDoes anyone have any information on this cat?

acorp, why do you ask? Do you have one? If so I'd love to have some better pictures of it.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Sorry, no pics. They were called both, but P-Cat was the usual name. I see them all over out here, usually abandoned. I believe Warren Miller, the ski movie guy, used to sail one. The weight was the problem; hard on/off the trailer or moving around on the beach. But a smooth sailing boat and probably first cat with spinnaker (very full). Pete
  • I have one, trying to restore and sail it need a few parts and a lesson on how to nav. this site, let me know if you find any info. pics. etc. thanks mytlitl
  • I just picked up a Pacific Cat. It's in "project boat" shape, so it's a bit of an ugly duckling at the moment. But as soon as I have it sea-worthy I can provide more information (and photos!)

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • I just got one. I'm completely in the dark as to the history of the boat, so I'm leaning on the information in this and other threads about it for that. But I'll be happy to provide pictures! The boat I got was torn down for restoration by its previous owner (and, I suspect, by the owner previous to that), so right now it's a hull, some sails, a mast, and a collection of parts. As soon as I start getting it put back together I'll be in better shape to take pictures and post them.

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    --
  • There is a guy in St. George, UT who has/had one. I think he is selling it and it may be located at lake Mead right now.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/boa/2865442324.html

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Two new Pacific Cat owners! Welcome to TheBeachcats.com both of you.

Did either of you happen to inherit any literature, brochures, or manuals on the boat? Anything related to the original manufacture?

Please fill out your signatures so we can get to know you.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Mail sent. Thanks for the pointer, Quarath.

I didn't inherit any literature or manuals for the boat, unfortunately. It came as a hull, a mast, three sails, two booms, and a box full of stuff. The standing rigging is all there, except for pins and shackles. The running rigging is... well, it's interesting. So far I picked out parts made by Harken, Lewmar, and an unknown manufacturer in Australia. I get the feeling it was being modified when it was taken apart. Now the task is to put it back together.

I took pictures of the hull this morning. The glass is in reasonable shape, but the gel coat has seen better days. I'm planning to document the restoration of the boat, so I'll be happy to put a photo set together as I go. Meanwhile I'm scouring the net to try to find anything that'll help.

Damon, I'll fill out my signature ASAP.

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    --
  • Back a number of years (more than ten or maybe even fifteen) this was contrct info for the guy who still had the molds for the Newport P-cat and a few parts and a great restored boat:

447 N. New Port Beach Blvd.
    New Port Beach, California 92663-4210
    telephone (714) 645-4520

Great guy with lots of info.

I bleieve he sent me a zerox'd copy of one of the original spec sheets.

He once told me that Hobie Alter's son used to mess around with sailing a solid bridge deck Pacific Cat (P-19), when the wind was up and the surf wasn't. The story goes that Hobie Alter got tired of fixing the rudders that his son tore off and the solid daggerboards he tore out of the boat by sailing and surfing the P-19 in and out of the surf and shoal water.

Looking for solutions, Hobie Alter came up with the famous, kick up rudder system he eventually used his first hobie cat and the boardless design.

When he looked for ways to market it, he noticed that the design and weight made righting and shipping the boat more complicated (or impossible) and more expensive.

That's when he hit on the idea of a de-mountable beams and a trampoline instead of the solid bridge and the boardless design of the asymetrical hulls.

I used mine for years, inlcuding dragging it down to Mexcio's Sea of Cortez.

We often put four scuba divers, lunch and equipment on it for the day.

We even hung a 35 hp outboard on it, to push it when the wind didn't blow.

A few times, minus the four guys and equipment, we even used it to pull a water skier.

I blew up the fully battened main a number of years ago. I've thought of trying to modify a sial from Minney's (Southern California) or cutting the boom and using a Hobie 16 sail.

I'm also thinking of letting the boat go to a worthy new owner, now that I've been using a Stiletto 27 instead.

Right now it is sitting on the shores of Bear Lake, Idaho.

Edited by scubasail on May 11, 2012 - 10:09 AM.
  • Hey, thanks for posting all this!

I've got an original main, complete with wooden battens. It's still in remarkably good shape for a sail that's as old as it is. If you decide you want something made to original spec, I'd be happy to take measurements off my main and send them to your sailmaker. The main I have was made by North.

I also have a short boom and a second main that may well have come from a Hobie. The smaller (less roachy) main came from Frank Rice. I'm pretty sure it's a newer sail, despite its more decrepit condition (this one NEEDS a cleaning). The shorter boom looks well-used, so I'm pretty sure the idea works, if you decide to go that route.

If you have any photos of your boat, would you mind posting them? I think I have almost everything sorted out at this point, but every bit of information helps.

Thanks again, scubasail!

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    --
  • I'm not sure I know how to post photos on the beachcat forum.

The old Newport Pacific Catamarans were great boats.

Wikipedia states that 1960 brought another "original" beach cat appeared in California, the Pacific Cat. The Pacific Cat was designed by Carter Pyle and was first built in 1960 just slightly smaller than 19' by 8' solid fiberglass catamaran with a solid core deck and traditional catamaran sail plan. The design's chief flaw was weight, with Pacific Cats weighing in at over 500 lbs. with approximately 300 square feet (28 m2) of sail area. The design was also a traditional design from the naval architecture view with dagger boards and a hard deck... the Pacific Cat demonstrated that is was adept at handling the daunting Pacific coast surf, probably due to the momentum it carried even with the limited [for the time] sail plan. The Pacific Cat boats were (are?) made by Newport Boats / Mobjack Manufacturing.

References
    ^ [1]
    ^ American Sail www.AmericanSail.com
    ^ Yachting Magazine, July 1970
    ^ Time magazine, "The Cat that Flies", September 1968

I always worried that someone could get killed by one of the original metal daggerboards, if the boat ever flipped.

I can say from personal experience that one couldn't sink that boat.

I personally have (unintentionally) tired a few times.

Though the hulls fill with water, the solid bridge deck has more than enough floatation to keep the boat afloat.

Even loaded with that old 35 hp outboard, four scuba divers, lunch and all the equipment strapped to it, it wouldn't sink.

It floated at an angle of about 45 degrees, bows up, due to the 35 hp outboard. It remained pretty stable and we thought we'd just ride the drifting boat in, de-water it and sail it back to our beach camp, while exploring areas of the Sea of Cortez.

However, out of no where a passing dive boat appeared and towed us in to a marina, where we sunk the trailer and put the submerged boat on it, then slowly and carefully pulled the trailer up the launch ramp.

That allowed the water, trapped between the double hull to slowly escape, without blowing the hull apart.

We thoroughly dosed the outboard with fresh water inside and out, let it dry over night, changed the fluids and it fired right up.

That resulted in another few days of fun in the Mexico sun, using the P-cat, minus the main that we blew out causing the original mishap (if you can call an over-loaded P-cat and goofing off, a mis-hap).

From these and other experiences, I can pretty well say that no one would EVER be able to right a Newport Pacific (P-19) catamaran after flipping it.

The mast isn't water tight and even if it were, it would never keep the boat on its side.

The boat would come to rest either swapped right-side up or up-side down and there it would stay.

In our case, had we not had the 35 hop outboard on its stern, I think we could have used our scuba BCDs to float it high enough to get the eater out of the hulls.

Boy have we had fun on that boat.

A number of years ago, I saw one other Newport Pacific (P-19) on a Utah lake.

It was new looking and the sailors made that boat sing across the water...double trapped and flying the windward hull.

Man did they make that boat go, sailing it like I do on my other more modern beachcats.

I never sail P-19 that aggressively, fearing I'd never right it, if capsized.

Here's some photos that look exactly like my boat, only mine was set up for a spinnaker and roller furler. Mine also had chicken straps (foot straps stretched across the foot wells (bow to stern) to hang out on when sailing fast. It also is equipped with trap lines for hiking out when sailing even faster. A nice feature was a pad that snapped onto and covered the entire solid bridge deck.

Talk about "comfy" lounging and sailing.

I also always though the boat could benefit from having a front tramp installed for lounging at anchor or while sailing or motoring slow. We had a 1 1/2 hp Cruise-n-carry (a weedwacker type engine but an outboard weighing only a few pounds) on it for a while, but the 35 got us places lots faster when the wind wasn't blowing.

(If you can't view the photos in this post, then go to the following website and see them there
    http://www.sailingtexas.com/spacificcat18a.html )

Tom House (aka scubasail)
    Farmington, Utah and Bear Lake, Idaho
  • Great write up!
    Here's the active link:
    http://www.sailingtexas.com/spacificcat18a.html

--
    Philip
    --
  • I own a P Cat - registered in utah

It is a great catamaran to sail ... yes I've flown the full Symetrical Spinaker also ...

I dont' think this boat can flip - I've never come close.

John Haydukovich

p.s. perhaps we will see a revival of the PCat

p.p.s I want to construct a square top main sail with even more sail area - I think the boat could handle it.

Edited by Haydukovich on May 11, 2012 - 03:14 PM.

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.