Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

~ ICE SAILIN ~  Bottom

• Does anyone here ice sail?? OK, yeah I know this is a Cat site and ya guys know me, and I have alotta posts and picts on here & things, so ya don't haveta use harsh language or throw things at me. Hey I gotta do sometin in the winter to keep this old wreched body in workin order! Damm I'll be 61 in Feb. give me a break!!! (Is that Damon I hear growlin)?
    icon_eek I haven't found a good ice sailin site like this beachcat site........where ya can share things!!!

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • whats ice?
  • Andrew: It's that stuff that keeps your beer cold and makes your drink with the little umbrella all slushy!

Popeye: It's been quite a while since I have done any iceboating and don't know of any websites devoted to the craft (Try iceboating.net). I can tell you that capsizes, pressure ridges and cracks are bad and should be avoided.

I did some ice sailing before I left Canada. There is almost nothing like it.

For the uninitiated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey3qg7GooMM
  • I know a guy that sold me my boat has been trying to sell an ICE FLYER for several years for around $900. Supposed to have set land sailing speed record at the salt flats at one point. It converts from both wheels and blades for ice.

I haven't really considered it because I don't think I would fit in the damn thing is it is very small.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • If you're over 50, you're probably too old for ice sailing (have done a lot, it's too cold), but landsailing is the very best sailing. I'm sailing a beach here in La Paz 30-40 mph on a beam reach for 5 miles pacing seagulls looking for tidbits in the surf. Landsaing is WARM!!! Fly in to Las Vegas March 21-26 for the America's Cup on Lake Ivanpah 40 miles south at Primm. Pete
  • Well, old or young at heart i'am still gonna do it...
    I'll be sure to have my mommie dress me nice & warm~~ LOL
    If I had the money I would go somewhere warm, but I guess the wood stove will haveta do... Not going anywhere I could save a few bucks..... icon_biggrin

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I don't think the cold bothers you as much if you have always been exposed to it. I lived in Michigan for 3 years without getting a winter coat out. It was pretty warm after living in Ottawa and tropical compared to the NWT.

BTW: The Renegade 2 is supposed to be a pretty sweet ride.

edited by: rpiper138, Dec 30, 2009 - 10:14 PM
  • The cold really doesn't bother me that much, I don't like minus 10 or colder and i've lived in upstate NY all my life... I like it here. no volcanoes,hurricanes/tornadoes,wildfires,mudslides or anything like that... just alotta snow, I can deal with that.. icon_wink
    I built a DN. 10 knots of a breeze=30-60 MPH, I have a 16Hobie sail & mast/boom left over. OH-OH the wheels are a turnin, but I don't have any other runners, could use the ones from the DN I built !!!!!!!! HHHMMMMMMMMM icon_rolleyes

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.