~ ICE SAILIN ~

Does anyone here ice sail?? OK, yeah I know this is a Cat site and ya guys know me, and I have alotta posts and picts on here & things, so ya don't haveta use harsh language or throw things at me. Hey I gotta do sometin in the winter to keep this old wreched body in workin order! Damm I'll be 61 in Feb. give me a break!!! (Is that Damon I hear growlin)?
icon_eek I haven't found a good ice sailin site like this beachcat site........where ya can share things!!!

--
~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
and other toys.......
~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
--
whats ice?
Andrew: It's that stuff that keeps your beer cold and makes your drink with the little umbrella all slushy!

Popeye: It's been quite a while since I have done any iceboating and don't know of any websites devoted to the craft (Try iceboating.net). I can tell you that capsizes, pressure ridges and cracks are bad and should be avoided.

I did some ice sailing before I left Canada. There is almost nothing like it.

For the uninitiated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey3qg7GooMM
I know a guy that sold me my boat has been trying to sell an ICE FLYER for several years for around $900. Supposed to have set land sailing speed record at the salt flats at one point. It converts from both wheels and blades for ice.

I haven't really considered it because I don't think I would fit in the damn thing is it is very small.

--
Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
Member: Utah Sailing Association
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
--
If you're over 50, you're probably too old for ice sailing (have done a lot, it's too cold), but landsailing is the very best sailing. I'm sailing a beach here in La Paz 30-40 mph on a beam reach for 5 miles pacing seagulls looking for tidbits in the surf. Landsaing is WARM!!! Fly in to Las Vegas March 21-26 for the America's Cup on Lake Ivanpah 40 miles south at Primm. Pete
Well, old or young at heart i'am still gonna do it...
I'll be sure to have my mommie dress me nice & warm~~ LOL
If I had the money I would go somewhere warm, but I guess the wood stove will haveta do... Not going anywhere I could save a few bucks..... icon_biggrin

--
and other toys.......
Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
--
I don't think the cold bothers you as much if you have always been exposed to it. I lived in Michigan for 3 years without getting a winter coat out. It was pretty warm after living in Ottawa and tropical compared to the NWT.

BTW: The Renegade 2 is supposed to be a pretty sweet ride.

edited by: rpiper138, Dec 30, 2009 - 10:14 PM
The cold really doesn't bother me that much, I don't like minus 10 or colder and i've lived in upstate NY all my life... I like it here. no volcanoes,hurricanes/tornadoes,wildfires,mudslides or anything like that... just alotta snow, I can deal with that.. icon_wink
I built a DN. 10 knots of a breeze=30-60 MPH, I have a 16Hobie sail & mast/boom left over. OH-OH the wheels are a turnin, but I don't have any other runners, could use the ones from the DN I built !!!!!!!! HHHMMMMMMMMM icon_rolleyes

--
and other toys.......
Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
--