Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

DIY{homemade} jib battens  Bottom

• I've,or possibly my precious 5 year old,lost 2 jib battens and was wondering if anyone has made there own.I found some PVC fence material that feels about right.Any input/recommendations would be much appreciated.
    I've also read that jib battens aren't absolutely necessary.I haven't tried sailing without but it seems like the jib would flap like crazy.Thanks,David.
  • I once bought some very thin wood trim material from the hardware store for my main battens. I rounded all the edges and tapered them a bit. They worked, but were not quite flexible enough at the top of the sail.
    I have heard of people using plastic fly swatter handles and yardsticks too. Keep an eye out, and you will find something that works.
  • We made all 10 battens in fiberglass for a P18 mainsail.

Making a mold, we started with a long piece of lumber 2 by 4, using a router to cut the profile with a 3/4" ball nose bit, painting the groove with release wax, filling it with pre-cut fiberglass mat and polyester, then pressing a flat 4 by 4 on top. After curing glued the 2 halfs together.

So far the battens hold up. I can post some pics of the mold if anyone is interested.

HTH,
    Dan
  • great info -
    http://www.catsailor.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=192092&Searchpage=2&Main=17431&Words=homemade+battens&Search=true#Post192092

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.