DIY{homemade} jib battens

I've,or possibly my precious 5 year old,lost 2 jib battens and was wondering if anyone has made there own.I found some PVC fence material that feels about right.Any input/recommendations would be much appreciated.
I've also read that jib battens aren't absolutely necessary.I haven't tried sailing without but it seems like the jib would flap like crazy.Thanks,David.
I once bought some very thin wood trim material from the hardware store for my main battens. I rounded all the edges and tapered them a bit. They worked, but were not quite flexible enough at the top of the sail.
I have heard of people using plastic fly swatter handles and yardsticks too. Keep an eye out, and you will find something that works.
We made all 10 battens in fiberglass for a P18 mainsail.

Making a mold, we started with a long piece of lumber 2 by 4, using a router to cut the profile with a 3/4" ball nose bit, painting the groove with release wax, filling it with pre-cut fiberglass mat and polyester, then pressing a flat 4 by 4 on top. After curing glued the 2 halfs together.

So far the battens hold up. I can post some pics of the mold if anyone is interested.

HTH,
Dan
great info -
http://www.catsailor.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=192092&Searchpage=2&Main=17431&Words=homemade+battens&Search=true#Post192092