Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Myrtle Beach - South Carolina  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Thanks Damon, will hang in there, DP from Myrtle Beach advised that H16 will not sell here in winter anyway. Will go to the aquarium with the kids today and then to see AVATAR, the movie. The good news is that temps will soar into the upper 60's here by Friday with winds of 16 mph, gives me time to get the cat down onto the beach and ready for a day of sailing. The bad news, we have to check out on Friday, oh well, trailered the cat over 1000 miles, am determined to go sailing.

Turbo
  • turbohobooh well, trailered the cat over 1000 miles, am determined to go sailing.

Turbo

I understand that sentiment, once when I trailored my H18 to Dunedin, FL (900 miles) with only a few days to stay, I ended up launching the boat off the causeway into a thunderstorm when all the sane locals were pulling out and tying down their boats.

Result was a broken daggerboard and a lot of drama. I'm sure you are smarter than I was, don't let the urge to "get out there" overrule your common sense.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • wOW.. Sounds like 1 heck of an odessy,
    glad you made it.
    hope you get a good day of sailing in on friday
  • Man! I have made several of those trips where in the end the boat didn't even come off the trailer...though that saga never included being stranded due to snow! In the end they turned out pretty well despite things not going the way I had imagined. Saw things I wouldn't have otherwise seen or found that great local resturant. The only time I was completetly irritated was when the boat stayed on the trailer because I forgot the forestay... icon_mad
  • Turbo,

Myrtle Beach allows boats to be stored on the beach if you purchase a permit. As for launching your H16, two weather systems passed through recently that coincided with unusually high tides, which served to nicely flatten and pack down the beach where it had been renourished. Getting your H16 to the surf with PVC pipes as rollers should work now and is allowed. I'd give you a hand but I'm leaving town on Wednesday.

You may be interested in something I found on the City of Myrtle Beach web site today, http://www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/beachlaws.html. It appears that during this time of year you can drive onto the beach to launch in certain areas:

Sec. 5-2. Vehicles Prohibited:
    It shall be unlawful for any person to drive or operate any motor vehicle of any kind or nature upon the public beach within the city; provided, that city vehicles operated while cleaning or working on the beach, city police and emergency vehicles shall be exempt from the application of this section; and it is further provided that from September 15th to March 15th, vehicles may access the public beach at the Second Avenue North streetend and at the emergency access at 5400 Ocean Boulevard for the limited purpose of launching and loading boats. Launching and unloading shall be accomplished within 200 feet of the point of access. Vehicle access and operation shall be temporary and for the limited purpose of launching or loading boats within the area designated above and as identified by signage.

As for all of the ocean front homes for sale, there was a big development boom here that abruptly ended when the economy tanked. A lot of land speculators were left holding the bag when the real-estate bubble burst and now they are trying to unload the beachfront homes they bought up. Two years ago you could look up and down the beach and see a dozen cranes erecting high-rise condos, now there are none. There is also a glut of condo units on the market for a fraction of their original asking price.

Enjoy!

Del

edited by: delp, Dec 21, 2009 - 02:56 PM
  • Thanks for the info Del, I made my own beachwheels and will use those to get the cat down to the water, if successful will post the build of said wheels on Tech Help Gallery. I will contact the city of Myrtle Beach to find out if the beach access road at the end of 82nd ave can also be used, it's very recent and might have been left out of the writing of that law. Sorry I will not get to meet you, we will try to stay a couple of extra days here in MB, any suggestions?

Turbo
  • It sounds like the weather for this weekend may be a lot like it was when we were there over Thanksgiving. It was a bit chilly, but we had a blast. Oh, and the Frogg Toggs we bought worked great the first day out, but the seams pulled out the second day out. We took them back for a refund at Dick's Sporting Goods. Won't purchase that brand again. Guess I'll save up for drysuits.

Suggestions for things to do:
    My wife and I love to try local restaurants rather than chains when we travel. We loved Thai Cuisine @ 1210 North Kings Highway in Myrtle.

Bass Pro Shops is worth a trip too. Lots of things out for the kids (and adults) to play with this time of year.

House of Blues was reasonable to eat at and good food, Sunday's Gospel Brunch Buffet is good fun.

I took my 6 yr old daughter to see the "Ghosts and Legends" show at Barefoot Landing. Not very expensive and she absolutely loved it. http://www.ghostshows.com/GhostShow.html

If you need any parts, there's a West Marine in the North End on Hwy 17 and a small shop called Sail and Ski Connection http://www.sailandskiconnection.com/ in Myrtle they are a Hobie dealer and I picked up some smaller odds and ends that I didn't want to order from catalogs and pay shipping on.

• Just an addendum to my Myrtle Beach adventure, I told you guys I would post a pic of the snow-cat, here it is:-

http://images.photo1.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp43359%3Enu%3D3253%3E%3B52%3E%3B64%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3C7%3C33%3A7%3A324nu0mrj

And that was after having de-snowed it a couple of times. Notice the home-made beach-wheels sticking out the rear

We left Myrtle Beach Fri am and drove down to Gulf Shores AL, for a couple of days, and again the weather did not co-operate, no sailing there either. Turns out I trailered the H16 over 4300 miles in temps ranging from 8F to 76F (when we passed through FL panhandle), went through 14 different States, and never got the cat off the trailer. Now that's what I call dedication.....or as Andrew would say.....insanity.

Turbo
  • Turbo......sounds like a hell of a trip, glad ya made to & from..... Ain't that white stuff fun?? I get alotta that in NY state.

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • QuoteAndrew would say.....insanity

hahah... i would never call you insane (to your face)...

your dedication is commendable... your sanity is questionable!!!

just kidding.. that really stinks you didn't get to sail.. perhaps next years trip should be to Panama (south america... apparently being in Panama Florida is no guarantee)

as i said before.. damn this global warming is cold~!

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.