Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Adding a hooter to an ACAT.  Bottom

• I got the deal of the century on a Acat out of Long Beach on Ebay. I am considering putting on a hooter. I did see a video of a spin on one and watching that it looked like a lot of trouble to raise and lower where the hooter is much simpler. Does anyone have experience on the acats that might have an opinion.
  • I've seen the video I think, pretty cool.

A-Cats are very high performance cats as is, do you have much experience beachcats?

Please fill out your profile (link in main menu) so people can get to know you and give better advise.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I have been sailing cats for 23 years. I started at 16 on a hobie 16 and did well racing locally. I moved up to a prindle 18 in my early 20's and did even better with that. I still have my prindle 18 and love sailing it. I only got the Acat when I put a bid on it with no reserve and a $.99 opening bid. No one else bid so I got the boat for a buck. I plan to race it when I don't have anyone who wants to crew on my p18 or to just enjoy it's performance.
  • WOW! .99 lucky guy!

there is a video out there of a guy with an Acat with a spin. he has one of those snail snuffers that sucks the sail in in about 1 second.. looks crazy... but neat.

I have sailed on a-cats. the performance was nice.. the helm was sooooo light. even in 15knots it took nothing to sheet or travel...

that being said.. i felt like the cat could capsize.. or be blown off the water in a gust. i know a local pro racer who had that exact thing happen .. in a gust he became airborne and the cat was destroyed. they are delicate!!!!!!

i doubt i would put a spin (or hoot) on one if i had it. because they are so delicate.. but if you got it for free (or .99) and want to push it... and have brass tax.... why not?

you may want to go to some a-cat clubs/forums to get a better idea of whats possible. also what make/year a-cat is it? you may be over stressing the design severely with a spin...

please keep us posted
  • The cat is a 2000 boyer mark IV. There are no soft spots in the hulls and all appears to be solid. The boat has not been sailed in four years. A older man bought it and was scared first time out. He had been a tornado sailor for years and had sailed a A-class back in 1973. I also got the 1973 hulls in the deal. They went right to the dump. The gentleman had died and his family from England were in Long Beach to settle his estate. The boat was the last to go and the auction was for only one day. I lucked out. I was too concerned about the strength of the boat. It sure is light, I can carry a hull with one arm on my shoulder. I too am concerned with the mast strength. It is a tall mast and tapered at the top. I don't want to hurt the boat. I do feel that I can control the added sail area and it would be one crazy fast rig on the water. Well those are my thoughts and I value the thoughts of others on this forum. So thank you all for any feed back.
  • have you sailed it? if not.. i would certainly wait until you have a few dozen times.. make sure you really think it needs it... (i dont)

does the mast have spreaders? (if it doesnt... i wouldnt add a spin or hoot)

is it a carbon mast? (if it is... i would be worried about adding spreaders.
  • The mast is aluminum and does have spreaders. I have not got a chance to sail it yet because the shoreline in AZ is very rocky and would damage this boat if I landed it on the shore. I do travel to Mexico a few times a year and plan to sail and race it there. We have an open multihull fleet in AZ that races there. I will be able to have both of my cats down there when I go and can choose what boat to race when I am there. I love my P18 but it is never the fastest boat on the water and the A-cat should be. But I would like to keep the boat in good condition and I think the concerns here are warranted.
    Thanks for the input.
  • I dont think you will be happy with this boat... and i want to help you.
    i am willing to pay you 400% above what you paid.
  • Andrew is trying to rip you off, I'll give you a %1,000 profit if you deliver it to Memphis.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • why not try sailing it as a normal a-cat for a season first

and perfect the solo wild thing before adding a hooter

sounds like it would be too easy to spend a lot and then either wreck the boat or make it unsailable in all but light winds
  • damonAdminAndrew is trying to rip you off, I'll give you a %1,000 profit if you deliver it to Memphis.

hahah you scoundrel !

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.