Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Pulling a Waterskier  Bottom

• Hello all,
    I have recently heard alot about people waterskiing behind a catamaran. In my extensive research, I have found alot of talk of sailors accomplishing this feat, but only a handful of photo/video evidence proving this to be true. Obviously, it CAN happen. My question is, what is the procedure for doing this? Please explain every aspect- rigging a tow cable, getting the skier out of the water, etc.

I have a 1984 SuperCat 19 that's in great shape and hits speeds that I am convinced can pull a skier rather easily, along with many skilled waterskiing friends that claim they can do it.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Aaron- SC 19

• I have done it. No video, cause it was back in the 80s, and no one had a video cameras then. I had an H16, and used a standard tow rope, looped around the aft tramp posts. I had a very accomplished water skier, who couldnt have weighed more than 150# with jacket and skiis. And about a 20 mph wind.
  • More...

You will need a good skier, cause they will get dragged through the water more than behind a power boat. No single skis, the need both skis for the buoyancy.

Pulling someone on a knee board is easier.
  • Knee boarding is much easier behind a cat. I have seen waterskiing but it was always kids behind the boat. I have not seen an adult do it. Having adults knee board or kids waterski should not be a problem with your SC19.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • There is a great video on You tube about an open class race in france with big racing trimarans pulling skiers. Having been an avidd skiier many years and pre rotator cuff issues ago, I doubt very much that a cat can generate enough torque to get anyone but a child up on skiis.

Never pulled a skier but we did tow a large Boston Whaler with a dead engine back to port using my buddy's 18 years ago. Twas quite a sight.
  • i have been on a windboard (no sail) being pulled by a P18 in about 15. It was a blast. i could not stand so i did if from my knees for about 20 min. my friend could stand.

he created a little bridal off the rear beam and the tow line could slide star-to-port along the bridal... but i still was able to lean/carve hard in around an arc so hard i would pull the cat backwards...

• Anybody seen one of these cats???

with a speed of 32k, I am guessing it can pull a few skiers

http://www.gizmag.com/aeroyacht-110/12117/
  • Hey Andrew

you must be a brother from another mother or something.
    When we got bored on the beach, we would strap chair cusions to windsurfer masts and joust on the boards tied behind H16's
  • I want to pull a skier as soon as i get some sails for my h-18. I have an old motor boat bridle for towing. I spoke to a motorist and he said that i should go downwind to pull tension in the rope and then do a semi circle around the skier so that the rope will have tension and the boat can pick up speed. When the wind is broad side then i will take a heading and essentially yank the skier up without snaping their hands.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • Good luck, let us know how it goes. Make sure you have someone there to take pictures or video, it will be great to see.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • definitly going to video it. I'll keep you posted

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.