Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cata-Kite anyone??  Bottom

• I'm sailing a H16 in KY.... wind average is fairly low...
    and the lake nearby is surrounded by trees blocking the wind...
    I am thinking about sailing with a kite (I've seen a cool video with a 16 m. North...)
    Is there anyone out there who is already Hobie-kiting...
    I'd like to have some advice... which kite to buy? how to start? how do u launch this kite on the water??
    Anyway, Thanks for any info available...
    Gerard
  • This is a entirely new idea to me. So would the kite assist the sail or replace it all together? The kite could "harness" the wind that isn't being blocked by the trees.
  • alumaswimmer So would the kite assist the sail or replace it all together?

Typically you remove the mast to do this. you have crew steer the kite, as the skipper steers the catamaran. Search youtube... there are many people doing this...

looks crazy to me. i would rather sail my boat with a sail...
  • Yes... obviously, the kite catch the wind higher... the general rule is that on a 35 footer... in any condition, the wind is 30 % stronger at the top of the mast than at the water level....
    I am not saying that cata-kiting is THE way... it is just another way to enjoy your cat...
    Also... if you want to have a weekend trip somewhere with your boat and have some sailing time.... no need to carry the mast on the road... step up the mast... demast...etc...
    Launch the boat.... attach the kite... and you're sailing in 5 minutes....
    Still like to get advice on kite, length of the line, control, etc...
    Gerard
  • As far as i know you attach the kite to the mast base(center of pull) and you can sail upwind just as well. but unfortunaly i am unfamiliar with the topic. There is a video of a larger cat with a big ass setup for the kite(including a reel).
  • rch701 you can sail upwind just as well.

Please . . . .

--
    Philip
    --
  • QuotePlease . . . .

why would it not?

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer"
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.