Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Which tiller tubes for the H14?  Bottom

• I'm wondering if anyone can help ID the right tiller tubes for my boat?

My new-old H14 turbo (I think 1984) came with two sets of rudders (see picture). I am trying to assemble one good set from the parts and didn't at first notice that the tubes on each set are different lengths. Which is the right one for the H14?

OK - I can't figure out how to upload a picture to the forums. So... one set is longer and straighter, the other set is shorter and has a marked bend in the tube. Otherwise the rudder castings and blades look identical. I'm aware from previous posts that Hobie changed the H14 tubes at some point. I'm guessing that the bent tubes are the H14, and the longer tubes are from an H16? Another curious thing is that the longer tubes don't have a cam stop plate in the upper rudder casting (rather a fixed pin that engages the cam).

Many thanks,
    Roger Sullivan

• It doesn't matter if they are bent or straight--as long as both sides match. I can't see a picture, but if one is much longer, then it is probably a 16 tube. A good estimation for the correct length is to put the rudder up and lock the tiller/casting down for travel. The end of the tiller should be close to the rear beam. The 16 tiller would be obviously long.
  • Thanks for the feedback Dan.

Is there anything wrong with what I'm assuming to be the old (more bent) H14 tiller tubes? They put the tiller in quite a high position.

A picture would speak a thousand words, but I can't figure out how to upload the image - it looks like posted images are limited to URL links.

Roger
  • I don't know why they changed, buthaving the tiller in a high position isn't a bad thing. It keeps the yolk (where the tiller extension attaches to the tiller crossbar) higher than the blocks and may clear them easier, but it doesn't make a difference to me. I have sailed both and haven't noticed a difference.
  • Images you want to put in forum posts need to be on the web someplace first. You can always upload to your own photo album in the "Beachcats People" album, or into a new album in the "Beachcats Technical" album if appropriate.

Then just right click the picture to copy the "image location" or "image url" depending on your browser. For Internet Explorer you have to choose properties then copy the url. Don't make the mistake of using the url of the page the image is on.

Then back in the forum post, click on the "Image" button which pastes
    <code class="prettyprint"></code>

and then paste your image url between the two img tags like
    <code class="prettyprint">http://example.com/imageurl.jpg</code>

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • What ever ones you use, the distance between them when in a locked down position is important.
    The distance between the leading edge and the trailing edge should have a 1/8 to 1/4 inch tow in.
  • Later upper rudder castings had an adjustable cam. Those are the ones to use.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.