Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Supercat 15 - mast rake advice  Bottom

• So I had the Supercat 15 out yesterday in 15-20 winds, unfortunately, it was the season's maiden voyage.
    Had a blast but this year I was really burying the bows, and yes, eventually pitch poled it
    I have had the boat for about 5 years and never come close to pitch poling it before.
    Earlier in the season, put on new bridle wires, so I am suspecting that my old settings are no longer valid
    Do I need to put more rake in the mast to get the bows up a bit more?
    I typically sail this boat with my weight as close to forward beam as possible, but yesterday, I was way back at rear beam and even then was burying the bow pretty well.
    Absolutely dry hulls on this boat, so I know I wasn't carry excess water weight and I dropped 15 pounds myself, so no need for that conversation.
    Your advice is appreciated

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • The recommended setting for the mast rake on the SC's is 5 degrees, but I know some run more than that. I've pitch poled the 17 before, so it happens!

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • I have a SC 15, no clue as to the current rake. I try to remember to check it next time I'm out. I'm 195, much to my wife's chagrin and can't remember coming close to pitch poling her. I have capsized her due to inattention in gusty conditions.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • Thanks on the 5 degree rake as well as to gahamby's willingness to check
    I am going to see how far off 5 degrees I am and pull it back. I weigh in at about 175 and have never come close to a pp on this boat - plenty of times on the hobbies', especially the 14 with the hooter.
    I too have capsized it plenty of times, but she rights fairly well, once you get her headed into the wind - which can be a challenge sometimes
    I suppose I could have simply called Aquarius, but that is way too easy

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    --
  • This might be helpful
    http://www.plaincode.com/products/clinometer/

Edited by gahamby on Jun 23, 2015 - 11:55 AM.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • Cool
    I just took my gauge out and measured and sure enough, I am between 1&1/2 and 2 degrees. Call it 1.7
    Looks like I shouldn't have any problem dropping it back a bit and get close to the 5 degree mark
    As soon as cocktail hour hits, I can drag my buddy over and adjust it. Can't get out today anyway

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.