Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Harken traveler car ball bearings  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I am joining the dubious club of sailors who tried to remove the traveler cars from the track and lost Torlon bearing balls!!! icon_frown

After few hours of searching I accounted for only 62 balls out of 64 needed for 4.5in long Harken Traveler on N5.0. My question is, being 1 ball short on each side will that make any difference on its operation?

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • I feel your pain, I did that once, took me 3 hours of cleaning out my workshop floor to find the last 2.
    PM me your snail mail address Adam, I'll send you a couple. I'm pretty sure I have a set from the short car, it was still sticking, even after a good cleaning, so I changed them all out.
    IIRC they come in bags of 21, for about $10.
    They are all up at my lakehouse, won't be there for a few weeks, but I'm assuming Cat sailing in Illinois won't happen for few months
    There is a thread here somewhere about my experience. I didn't have a loader at the time & didn't know about putting shaving cream or toothpaste in the track to hold them in place. Took me hours to devise a strategy that finally worked.

Edited by Edchris177 on Jan 05, 2013 - 04:08 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I have to say that "beer gogles" work. After 2 beers I found one!!! One more to go... and my shop floor never looked that clean. lol. icon_biggrin

Do you know if Harken use the same Torlon bearing balls in their jib furlers, in particular the one that's on H18?
    I purchased used one and I am expecting to come in this week. If they are the same, I may need to buy new set anyway.

"PM me your snail mail address Adam, I'll send you a couple. "

Ed, thanks for the offer, I will send you PM as soon as inspect my furler.

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • QuoteDo you know if Harken use the same Torlon bearing balls in their jib furlers,

Not sure what is used on the H18, BUT if it is the Harken H435 (Hi load) or 434 (Lo Load) furler kit they are not the same. The traveler uses a 1/4" bearing, the furler uses much smaller ones, 5/32" IIRC.
    The furler uses 9 bearing to a race x 5 races for 45 bearings. The internals are exactly the same for the drum unit & the upper swivel, you need 90 in total.
    Sailing Services in Fl will sell them individually, about 30 cents each for Torlon.
    Have a look at the album I have in the Photo Albums-Technical Tips for how to take the furler apart for cleaning or bearing replacement.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=72561

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • That's good info Ed

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • The Hobie 18 uses a Hobie brand furler unit and swivel. This furler has the same part number as the furler/swivel for the Hobie 21 and probably other hobies. The Hobie furler uses stainless bearings that will most likely be a different diameter than the Harken 434/435. The Hobie furler is a much more robust stainless steel design than the aluminum Harken 434/435. I removed a Harken 434/435 furler and swivel and replaced it with the Hobie furler and swivel on my Dart 20 because the the Harken seemed a little weak when I took it apart and when I looked at the published load ratings it seemed to be at or near maximum load on my boat. In addition, when the bearings go on the Harken, the forestay will no longer be attached to the drum, while the Hobie design does not allow this.

Hope this helps,

Dan Hennessy
    Bradenton Florida
  • Adam, here is what I did. I rounded up all of the lost bearings till I had the right number. Then I carefully re-inserted them back into their pockets, one side at a time. When one side was done, I wrapped a rubber band around that side to keep them from falling out while I worked on the other side. Then I cut a simple spacer that held the balls in place as I slid it onto the track. It took about 25 minutes and cost less than ten cents in materials. See photos.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=101102&g2_serialNumber=4

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=101105&g2_serialNumber=4

Hope this helps,

Bill

--
    Bill
    Nacra 5.5 SL
    Redondo Beach, CA
    --
  • Quote The Hobie furler is a much more robust stainless steel design than the aluminum Harken 434/435. I removed a Harken 434/435... the the Harken seemed a little weak when I took it apart and when I looked at the published load ratings it seemed to be at or near maximum load on my boat.

Yes the Hi Load is only 950 lb working load, I think they only list it for Catamarans to 18'...I'm wondering what do the Tornado or other 20' Cat use?
    Do you happen to know the safe working load on the Hobie furlers?

QuoteAdam, here is what I did. .... It took about 25 minutes and cost less than ten cents in materials.

That is definitely better than what I did the first time. However, if you don't have a car loader it is pretty hard to beat some toothpaste or shaving cream.
    Apply whatever it takes to hold the bearings in the appropriate place, then slide car on track, literally, you are done in under a minute. You don't even need to wash the stuff out. It will disappear the first time you go sailing.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • [quote=windadict]I am joining the dubious club of sailors who tried to remove the traveler cars from the track and lost Torlon bearing balls!!! icon_frown

McMaster Carr {http://www.mcmaster.com/} is a great source for replacements, cheaper than any of the sail suppliers, you should probably have a set sitting around for any of the ball bearings you have on your cat, it will save a weekend!! A lot of other materials available here too for cat sailors!
  • +1 shaving cream.. rinses away with water... not sure toothpaste would rinse away so cleanly
  • No idea of the working load of the Hobie furler system. I do know they did use it on the H21, which is a heavy cat with alot of sail. You could always contact Hobie.

Regards,
    Dan
    Bradenton, Fl
  • QuoteNo idea of the working load of the Hobie furler system.

i was gonna say the loads on the hobie one can not be much different .. then i saw this video...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhrzlrgVEBk

Edited by MN3 on Jan 07, 2013 - 02:25 PM.
  • QuoteMcMaster Carr {http://www.mcmaster.com/} is a great source for replacements, cheaper than any of the sail suppliers,

I checked there when I was rebuilding my 5.7. They have 1/4" Torlon (for traveller), IIRC the price was about $10, for a bag of 25. It wasn't much different than the bag of 21 I got at West Marine for $9.
    They did not have furler size (5/32")in Torlon, only Delrin...you want the Torlon ones for BeachCats.
    As stated, they are very good suppliers of a lot of other pieces one might need.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • [quote=MN3]
    i was gonna say the loads on the hobie one can not be much different .. then i saw this video...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhrzlrgVEBkEdited by MN3 on Jan 07, 2013 - 02:25 PM.

I think that will be helpfull when I get my furler and it will turn out that is not Harken but original H18. Thanks

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • phantom917Adam, here is what I did. I rounded up all of the lost bearings till I had the right number. Then I carefully re-inserted them back into their pockets, one side at a time. When one side was done, I wrapped a rubber band around that side to keep them from falling out while I worked on the other side. Then I cut a simple spacer that held the balls in place as I slid it onto the track. It took about 25 minutes and cost less than ten cents in materials. See photos.

Bill

That's awsome idea too...

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • i am pretty sure the original h18 furler was made by harken
    [quote=windadict]
    MN3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhrzlrgVEBkEdited by MN3 on Jan 07, 2013 - 02:25 PM.

I think that will be helpfull when I get my furler and it will turn out that is not Harken but original H18. Thanks
  • Edchris177PM me your snail mail address Adam, I'll send you a couple. I'm pretty sure I have a set from the short car, it was still sticking, even after a good cleaning, so I changed them all out.

PM Sent

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • Got the PM. I was just up at the lakehouse on Monday, probably won't be back up there for a month. I doubt you need them til May! I'll mail you a couple next time I go up.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Edchris177Got the PM. I was just up at the lakehouse on Monday, probably won't be back up there for a month. I doubt you need them til May! I'll mail you a couple next time I go up.

looking outside now - balmy 12 deg F, yeppppp I can wait.
    Thanks Ed,

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • Adam, sorry for the delay. I've been busy working, & at my Western residence skiing.
    I was up at the lakehouse last weekend, & scrounged up 3 bearings for you. I rolled them on a sheet of glass, they seemed true.
    Only problem was, when I got home, there were only 2 in my pocket. I put them in the mail on Fri. Should be at your place sometime this week. I'm hoping you only needed 2.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.