Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

16' Prindle mast setup  Bottom

• I am new to cats and I just picked up a 1981 16' Prindle. I setup the rigging to see how it goes together. However, I wanted to ask if someone knows how to setup the mast. Once the mast is setup, I am assuming I pull all pins at the bottom that helped raise the mast. Yes? This way it will be a rotating mast?

Thank you for your help and getting a newbie out on the water!
  • Yes
  • Yes hinge pin is removed after you have secured the fore stay. You should have one large D shaped shackle that connects to the mast about 2/3rds of the way up. Fore stay should be dead center with each side shroud to either side and any trap lines to the outside of those. Since you raise the mast on it's side you have to be careful and make sure you have the correct side connected to the boat taking into account that the mast will turn once you have it up.

You don't want to find out that you have them backwards after have the mast in the air and your trying to hold is straight up in the air with your 14 year old son praying that it doesn't fall or the wind doesn't pick up while your wife disconnects the side shrouds and swaps them while you hold the mast straight up with no support.

Don't ask me how I Know.

once it's up you remove the pin and let it rotate then tighten your forstay.

If you have not rigged the trap lines yet you can leave those unconnected on the bottom til after you have the mast up and secured then set them up. Also once you have it together for the season all you need to do disconnect the fore stay. the rest can stay connected till you have to winterize.

Also where are you located there may be someone here close to you that may offer to help out if you get stuck on anything.

edited by: Quarath, Mar 28, 2009 - 11:58 AM

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.