Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

'Nother Noob Question re: Getaway Batten Tension  Bottom

• Hi guys,

Another question; reference batten tension at the end of a sailing day. In the windsurfing world we always undo batten tension before rolling a sail up to put it away. Should I undo batten tension on a Hobie Getaway sail at the end of the day?. Just wondering.

Also, regarding mast rake: should I aim for straight up and down or is there an advantage of raking the mast fore or aft? (I asume an aft rake would be for heavier air, and a forward rake would help with pointing and tacking...)

Thanks for your expertise!!

Best,

Dave
  • typically we don't worry much about releasing battens after use on sails unless they are going to be stored for extended periods (winter storage,etc). Very few recreational sailors ever adjust them (that i know).

As per the rake... i don't know your cat, but generally you are correct, rake back for heavy air to depower.. but also adjusted to counter weather helm (or lea helm) in conjunction with rudder rake.

If you don't have helm issues, and you don't need to depower... I would, keep it raked forward

I would contact a hobie dealer (or the hobie forums) for model specific data.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.