Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What to wear cold sailing months on Sothern Lake Michigan  Bottom

• I have to get some cold water gear together, and wonder what I will need. I am thinking I need a full wetsuit and booties, and maybe gloves for May. In June and October I think shorty wetsuits with booties are probably required.
    I can't really swing drysuits for the whole family.
    Any tips?
  • kgatesmanI can't really swing drysuits for the whole family. Any tips?

Move to Florida :)

I use fleece pants/top under my spray top and inshore pants. this basically the same as skiing gear. make sure you have your head/ears covered and good 3 season gloves.
  • Kenny,
    I sail (and windsurf) in southern Ontario and start sailing ~2-3 weeks after the ice is out in April. I'm assuming you have the similar temps.

I use a steamer (a thick wetsuit) with a windbreaker over top. I have booties and use inserts if it's really cold. I have a neoprene hoodie and gloves, sometimes with neoprene mittens over top.

In the summer months June-Sept, I use a windbreaker.

Some of the people in my club use a rainsuit. It's cheaper, but you can't afford to flip (they don't sail hard).

• I've been researching steamers and regular wetsuits, and I have two questions about them I'm hoping someone on here can answer.

1) Is there is much of a difference between 5/4mm and 3/2mm steamers in terms of warmth?

2) What is the difference is between a 3/2mm steamer and a 3/2mm regular wetsuit?
  • A steamer is a wetsuit with long arms and legs.

Here is a chart that gets at your other questions: http://360guide.info/wetsuits/water-temperature-chart.html?Itemid=19

In my case, I am thinking of getting the crew neoprene booties and 3/2 wetsuits. Then they can wear wool hats and windbreakers for a second layer. I will probably go with the Costco wetsuit (Hyper-FX, 3/2 full, $69) for my wife and I and two other guys I can count on when the family is not willing. I will probably track down suits for the kids on Ebay or elsewhere. Once I get over paying for all this first year stuff, I can think about better quality cold weather sailing gear.

edited by: kgatesman, Mar 03, 2009 - 06:13 PM
  • That site was a lot of help. Thanks!
  • I never get out before Memorial Day cause I'm always late on maintenence. I doubt I'll do much better this year given my schedule.

Full suits and boots till mid July is my rule. After that shorties/boots through October.

Before June, I'd add a hood, gloves and a shell system.

Over the years you will accumulate a lot of wetsuits!
  • One other thing Ken. Don't ever underestimate this lake and insist that everyone wears wetsuits and good flotation gear. Make sure your righting lines are in good shape.

Get a good Marine radio with a weather band also. I've seen what can happen when folks drop their guard and it aint pretty.

This lake is wonderful but can turn on you in an instant. Westerlies are fun but the most unpredictable. Best sailing is from the SE. If you have not sailed here before, talk to the folks who have and listen generously.

That said, can't wait to get out there!
  • Rather then a shorty suit I use a 3mm farmer john, which has legs but no arms. I find it matched with a good spray-top does a good job much of the spring and fall on Southern Lake Michigan. I also use just the spray top for much of the summer, especially when the wind is good.

I will second the VHF radio, I carry it always in my life jacket. Which I always wear. I see some people out without them on which on that lake is crazy in my opinion regardless of the current conditions.

The weather radio on the VHF last year alone helped me get off the water and on the road before a thunderstorm more then once. I was packing while everyone else was still enjoying the sun, then they had the joy of packing up in the storm. Everyone was off the water before the storm, but no one on the beach thought the storm was "actually coming" our way.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Fraser, good call on the steamer! I bought a 6.5 mm with booties and gloves, and I'm really impressed. I was windsurfing past ice-piles yesterday and was toasty warm the whole time. Never would have guessed a wetsuit could keep you that warm.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.