Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Pre 1980's Hobie 16 vs Prindle16  Bottom

• I'm currently looking around at getting a cat of some sort. Im intrested in older boats that could be picked up for $1500 or less. Hobie 16 and Prindle 16 seem to be the most avalable. The I ask of the forum to compare and contrast the above mention boats and give me some insight as to wich may be the most "Major" trouble free.
    Thanks First Time Poster icon_confused
  • I think they are very similar in every way. I personally think the H16 are a better choice mainly because there are so many of them, and parts around.

if you take your time you should be able to get a decent boat for 1500. thats more than i spent on my h16($1200) and h18($400), and they served me well
  • When a seller states that the boat has soft spots, iare they refering to decks primaraly?
  • yes... the layers of fiberglass and foam are separating (delaminating).

This often happens in front of the front beam (or in front of the trampoline area) and that is an area that handles alot of stress while sailing. Also the spot most boats have a hull break off...

It can come from people sitting on the hulls, or normal wear and use.

This is a serious problem and should probably stop you from buying the boat. In some cases, you can drill and inject epoxy in the areas.. but i PERSONALLY would move on.
  • Ill make a note of that one. Thanks
    Any other in put from any one else is greatly incurraged. aside from my spelling of course.

edited by: Tartan34C, Mar 17, 2009 - 10:30 PM
  • Time for a Prindle person to chime in.

I stumbled across my 1975 Prindle 16 that had been rotting in someones backyard for 18 years. A $100 bill and a new set of tires to replace the old ones that had rotted into the ground and I was on my way.....holes and soft spots in both hulls.

I hooked up with a fiberglass wizard at the local marina and he took care of the hulls. I spent hours on the phone with Stan at Murrays.com in CA and be brought me up to date on the gear. No shortage on any of the Prindle 16 parts.

The hulls, cross bars, mast, rudders and sails are all original. Everything else has been replaced. The boat performs excellent and I push it as hard as possible because the thrill of this sport is being on the edge.

Before you buy, go to the local beach where the cats are parked and compare. There are differences but with the number of both boats that are out there, you can't go wrong with either. Pick one, update the equipment as necessary and sail the hell out of it!

Think spring!

J. Mueller
    Muskegon, MI
  • I've owned both and prefer the Hobie. I bought a new '83 Prindle back in the day and really had fun. Prindles are nice and fast but can prove difficult to get repair parts for today. Murray's being one of the best sources for cat parts. I really liked the roomy flush trampoline on the Prindle. Being flush with the decks gives a little more space. The hulls are large and are less likely to pitch pole.

On the other hand. I absolutely hated the rudder system on the Prindle 16. Each rudder must be locked down and released seperately. I found it difficult to lock them sometimes causing them to kick up in heavy sailing conditions. I thought they were a cheaply designed. Other than that the boat needs little modification to enjoy.

After being out of sailing for many years I recently found an '83 Hobie 16. I checked into parts availability because I knew I would have to make some repairs and mods to get the boat back up to speed. You can find almost anything for Hobie 16's. The rudder cam system works much better and is easy to clean and repair if needed make work correctly. The older Hobies are more likely to have delamination issues but that is easy to detect. If you find one you're interested in run you hands along the bottom to check for blisters and push along the top just forward of the tramp pyolons. Feel for weak surfaces. The hulls are the most critical item to check on the older hobies.

If you can find a Hobie with solid hulls and good sails jump on it. Make sure the mast is straight with no dents. Check the rivet points for excessive corrosion as well.

Martin
  • Thanks to all who replied, and incurage ferther input. I hope to see a prindle this evening. Just looking. I left the $ at home.
  • I agree there are prindle parts out there, but not in the numbers H16 are. There are more H16 on this planet then people in china (i may be off a little, not sure :) )

Do you want to spend hours on the phone with Murray's, pay top dollar for new-replacement parts?

Also,... soft spots can be repaired... but you need a fiberglass wizard, time, energy, tools, patience, skills, etc.

You should be able to find a "SAIL READY" boat for $1500...

I would go to the beach and talk to EVERY cat sailor for advice, input, free rides, etc
  • icon_rolleyes
  • I have had no trouble getting parts new or used for my Prindle. So don't let the "There a millions of Hobies" scare you away from a good Prindle. Also depending on how much weight you want to put on the boat in crew the Prindle has more buoyancy in the hulls and will hold more.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • GO to ebay and search for parts for each boat.... see what you find:

(here, let me)
    prindle 16 Your search returned 0 items

103 results found for hobie 16
  • My Prindle is my second out of production boat. Nothing (zip, zilch) was available for my last boat (MacGregor 25). If I needed something I had to adapt it from some other boat, or find some guy parting out a boat, or talk to the people at West Marine, Harken/Schaeffer, or the locally chandlery. Turns out this was no big deal at all: the internet is your friend.
    When I bought the Prindle, I was open to various 18 foot beach cats. When I found this boat, I knew it was the right boat for me (right price, right condition, right location). I suppose if I found a Hobie in the condition of my Prindle, I would have jumped on it and appreciated the manufacturer support; but I didn't find a terrific Hobie, I found a terrific Prindle.
    Fixate on finding the right boat, there is nothing you can't figure out how to fix. To UFGator's point, ideally you would sail both types before you bought.

edited by: kgatesman, Mar 19, 2009 - 05:12 PM
  • Is yours the yellow-hulled one? You know, the one on the Lk Mich side that was not tied down very well during the 50 knot winds last summer? My H18 was spared. It is always tied down at both cross bars, using mobile home anchors ($5 at Menard's). I hope you can still get rudder castings for both yours that cracked - if it was really yours that took the tumble.

And how about the city carting away those without stickers? They dragged the hulls across the concrete sidewalks. Ugh!
  • Quoteconcrete sidewalks. Ugh!

oh no...i bet that hurt....
  • QuoteFixate on finding the right boat, there is nothing you can't figure out how to fix. To UFGator's point, ideally you would sail both types before you bought.

I agree
  • Thank for all the help.
    I'm now the proud owner of a .....(Suspence)
    Hobie 16 1983 solied hulls to boot.
    The only concern is the trailer. Not so great, but easy to fix. icon_biggrin Pics to follow in a few days.

edited by: Tartan34C, Mar 24, 2009 - 09:23 PM
  • GREAT! congrats! WE WANT PICS~!!!

PS (surfs up is for surfers.... Winds up is for us) :)

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.