Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Broken tang  Bottom

• I would think that braking off the bridal tang on a nacra 5.2 would be rare but it happened. My question is has any one had this happen and how did they fix it? I talked to Performance Catamarans they have the part but how to install it? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. icon_confused

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --
  • I have replaced one on a nacra 5.8, it took a little time but not that hard. Take a circular saw and cut a hole a few inches down from the deck on the oppisite side of the hull in line with the broken tang. When you use the circular saw blade put the drill on reverse as this will leave a nice clean cut. I then put a grinding stone that was specific for grinding away fiberglass on the drill on went inside the hole that you just made and carefully grind away the glass that holds the tang. I would order the part first so you can see what it looks like and you will know what you are dealing with. After you remove what is left of the old tang reglass the new one in place. I used vise grips on the outside to hold the new part in place while I glassed it in and during curing. After the new part is in place you have to close up the hole. I sanded away about an inch of the gelcoat past the hole that I made to get a good bond. I saved the piece that the hole saw made and used a piece of cardboard and a piece of fiberglass about a inch bigger, drilled a hole throughs all pieces and then I took 2 thin pieces of wood and also drilled a hole in them. I then applied resin to the cardboard, fiberglass and the piece that was cut out put them together and using the 2 pieces of wood and a small bolt with a nut sandwiched them in the hole. From the inside it will be piece of wood, carboard, piece of glass, cutout part all resined together and held in place by the 2 pieces of wood and the small bolt and nut. After it cures push the bolt into the hull sand and finish. It takes a little longer but will be stronger. Call me at 561-305-1349 if you have any questions as I may not have explained the process very well.
  • In the previous post I said circular saw when I meant hole saw.
  • Thanks HULLFLYER !! the repair does not sound too bad to pull off. I will let you know how it went when I am done. thanks again

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --
  • please post pics!~

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.