Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Getting a Sol Cat back on the water with a Hobie 18 mast  Bottom

• Received an e-mail from a sailor who has a bent Sol Cat 18 mast, purchased a good Hobie 18 mast, and would like to get the boat back on the water. Any idea if this would work, or what modifications she would need to do to set up the Hobie 18 mast system. Is installing the Sol Cat mast base plate on the Hobie an option? Is there any major front cross bar mast step casting adaption needed?
    Thanks for your input,
    TrtlDave
  • I used to have a sol cat, the casting at the bottom of the mast did not have any way to pin the mast to it. I did not like the set up. I would think that if the masts of the two boats are the same cross sectional profile, that you should be able to swap the castings out.

On the sol cat I lost the lower casting in a dismasting accident. I went to a ship yard and got a one inch thick piece of aluminum and whittled out a new base. It is not that hard to do. Finding the aluminum is the hard part.

That said... if there are mast cross sectional differences... you might be able to trim here and there on the casting to make it fit.

• Im no expert and in fact haven't even sailed my Sol Cat yet. I've busy getting back to tip top shape. I would think as log as you have the Hobie mast and hinge you just remove the the old hinge and put the new Hobie one on. Most parts seem interchangeable to me, but then again I have lettle expeience. Good luck with your decision.
  • I have a Sol 18 Mast hanging on my back fence if you are interested email me (ajnawrocki _AT_ gmail.com)

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.