Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

righting line and/or stretch line system  Bottom

• The previous owner installed a stretch righting system on my Prindle 18 (like the Hawaiian system on the Murray's site).

I also have a righting line installed through the grommet, front and center on the tramp.

It seems since I have the Hawaiian, I can get rid of the righting line. Is the righting line redundant, or necessary?

edited by: kgatesman, Mar 14, 2009 - 04:30 PM
  • i would capsize near the beach and try the Hawaii style before you remove the line... just to make sure it works for you.

also, i am not sure about a righting line through the tramp.... i would just tie it around the base of the mast....
  • Hi ; I keep a 16'dacron righting line on my P-19 stored topside in the tramp pocket at the mast . I thread the line through the grommet hole in the tramp just in front of the mast & secure it around the dolphin striker bar. I use a bowline knot & plastic ties to keep it from loosening. Last year I tied an additional 16'righting line to the first one & stored it in the same tramp pocket so my crew can have their own line to assist in righting the boat. Tie a small loop in the first righting line & a bowline to attach a second righting line . Good luck ! Bill
  • I found that the Hawaiian system is awesome for Hobie 14s and 16s because you can get it over the hull and get more leverage. It isn't as great on something like a Prindle 16, 18-2, 19 or any other boat that has the beams attached to the hulls (not pylons like the Hobies). It works, but you have to be a) heavy, b) have crew or c) some other aid like a righting bag. They are very convenient. The problem with the line in a bag thing is that the boat goes turtle on you while you are trying to get the line out of the bag and you only have one point to hold on to for two people. The Hawaiian system or the shock cord system lets both people balance by holding on to a wider (not longer) piece of rope. At least, that is my experiance

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.